Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many fighters will retire after this card?
This poll is closed.
0 — UH VAI MORRER! 17 18.28%
1-2 17 18.28%
3+ 6 6.45%
However many there are, please god let one of them be Big Nog 53 56.99%
Total: 93 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So Ronda's future husband will awaken one night in a arm bar with Ronda asleep whispering crazy in his ear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Jst0rm posted:

So Ronda's future husband will awaken one night in a arm bar with Ronda asleep whispering crazy in his ear.

Personally I can't wait

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Doing your own research and asking questions is a great thing. as is being excellent at fighting

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
My thoughts on Rhonda is that while women's MMA is a bit behind still, should it all of a sudden get the money and attention to attract a considerable body of the world's woman athletes and a generation passes for it's Joe Montanas to make way for it's John Elways, Rhonda Rousey would be beating those too. She's incredible.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Honda would beat the poo poo out of Joe Montana

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

CarlCX posted:

In addition to being a fighter and olympian, which puts her in the center of a venn diagram with circles labeled "insane" and "stupid," Ronda Rousey was raised by a father who killed himself without warning and a mother who started randomly attacking her without provocation when she was 11 as part of her training. It is a miracle she is willing to trust that air helps you breathe.

her father's suicide could not be described as without warning. he had an accident and became a paraplegic with a limit time to live, who would have a rapidly deteriorating quality of life

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

david carmichael posted:

her father's suicide could not be described as without warning. he had an accident and became a paraplegic with a limit time to live, who would have a rapidly deteriorating quality of life

Yeah, but they/later her mom hid all of that from Ronda on account of her being a little kid, so all she knew growing up was dad had an accident, some time passed, then he killed himself. It was without warning for her.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

RacistGuidingLight posted:

My thoughts on Rhonda is that while women's MMA is a bit behind still, should it all of a sudden get the money and attention to attract a considerable body of the world's woman athletes and a generation passes for it's Joe Montanas to make way for it's John Elways, Rhonda Rousey would be beating those too. She's incredible.

strong use of imagination

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

RacistGuidingLight posted:

How many generations until people learn how to spell her name

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Fartbong Bonersatan posted:

How many generations until people learn how to spell her name

The farther we get from the woman the more shrouded in mystery her name will be. 4000 years from now people will worship the rhhondai, daughter of the great white god. praise be the rogan.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I do that now.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Jst0rm posted:

The farther we get from the woman the more shrouded in mystery her name will be. 4000 years from now people will worship the rhhondai, daughter of the great white god. praise be the rogan.

i want to go to this future and ingest the spirit molecule

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Meowbot posted:

Bethe smiled the whole time and said she did a good job and thinks her game plan was on point ... what the gently caress?

Against Rousey this might actually be true.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Remora posted:

Against Rousey this might actually be true.

Arm not broken
Teeth in place
Brain only slightly more damaged
Not dead

Yeah, the game plan went 100% well for Bethe, honestly.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Sogol posted:

No one not already a UFC fan would have any idea who Tate or Zingano were without Rousey. Those two could have an unnoticed decade long rivalry that would not expand anything at all about the sport or any of the arts and disciplines associated with the sport.

Rousey on the other hand is an amazing athlete and interesting personality. People use the word talent all the time and certainly that's part of it. A greater part is that she has grown up mastering a particular discipline and is now using that mastery as the basis for growth. That is based on work and not talent. (By way of weird comparison this is also what the tenor Pavarotti would say when people referred to him as talented.) She continues to work, does not seem complacent and seems to love her art and sport. She seems as calculated about the money as she is about observation and decision in the ring.

Some of it is just ridiculous. Four years ago Correia was an overweight accountant who had never even considered fighting. When she moves it looks like that. Rousey has been living in relationship to a set of disciplines her whole life more or less and competing or training to compete as the core of everything she is. When she moves it looks like that. While possible that someone could prevail based on minimal training, a raw kind of talent and some variable like strength Correia and Rousey are in two different universes.

Rousey relates to herself as being purpose made in every detail of body and psyche to be doing what she is doing. See her comments about "do nothing bitches". It is a life long work. It's inspiring to see an athlete with that sort of ethic and clarity.

The reason the Tate fight is interesting is that she seems the only opponent thus far to even be conscious of what is happening to her while it's happening.

What is great is that Rousey is demonstrating a model of what is possible and other people will be inspired by this. When she talks legacy I think this is maybe the kind of thing she means. The fighters or people inspired in other pursuits that will make up that legacy are currently children.

i like rousey but the masturbatory fantasies are Out Of Control imo

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Jst0rm posted:

Allahu armbar?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Foul Fowl posted:

i like rousey but the masturbatory fantasies are Out Of Control imo

It's pretty melodramatic for sure, but I'm not sure it's factually that far off base. She looks like a murder bot compared to her competition for a reason.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I clicked into this sub because I was swept up in mainstream Rouseymania (and also that eyegouging fight with the caveman looking dude what the hell) - and holy poo poo is the OP for real?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

VagueRant posted:

I clicked into this sub because I was swept up in mainstream Rouseymania (and also that eyegouging fight with the caveman looking dude what the hell) - and holy poo poo is the OP for real?

no, it glosses over the insane extent and seriousness of nogueira's injuries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Triticum Guzzler posted:

no, it glosses over the insane extent and seriousness of nogueira's injuries

• Locked thread