Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Problem description: For a few weeks now Microsoft Security Essentials has been telling me its definitions are out of date, but whenever I try to update them I get an error box that says 'this app couldn't check for virus and spyware definition updates. Check your Internet or network connection and try again', and clearly that's bull because I can get online just fine.

Attempted fixes: Tried going to Microsoft's website ('Sorry, the page you are looking for can't be found!'), tried numerous times to force it to update, allowed windows to do its automatic updating thing in the hopes that would fix it, am about to uninstall and reinstall. EDIT: some googling has me suspecting perhaps a Windows Update failed to install which MSE needs in order to update its definitions. Am now downloading all available updates; will restart and see if that does anything.

Recent changes: Not sure if it would have affected this but a month or two ago we got a new wireless network put in to replace the old. crapping-out one we had. Real nice too, buried cable and the whole bit. It connected perfectly, and everything seemed fine. Until this.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit.

System specs: Hewlet-Packard Pavilion g6 Notebook. AMD A6-3420M processor with Radeon graphics, 4 GB.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

That sounds very much like what was happening to me on my desktop. I didn't really track it down, but it appeared that MSE and Windows update were fighting with each other. It sounds like Windows Update is still working for you, though, which would be different than the behavior I saw.

Did Windows Update successfully complete its operation?

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
It installed 4 of the 5 updates. Just now I turned the machine on, went to open the internet and it restarted itself automatically. Maybe that auto-installed the last one? And also, how did you end up fixing it?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Astrofig posted:

It installed 4 of the 5 updates. Just now I turned the machine on, went to open the internet and it restarted itself automatically. Maybe that auto-installed the last one? And also, how did you end up fixing it?

Honestly, I just got tired of dealing with it and uninstalled MSE and replaced it with a third-party free antivirus. Haven't had any issues with Windows Update since then.

Full disclosure: I rarely use Windows for anything other than playing games, so I didn't do exhaustive troubleshooting on the issue. I know the general consensus is that people should just run MSE, but I couldn't be arsed to deal with what was a frequent and annoying issue when all I wanted to do was run Steam.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Hmmm, I don't think that's going to work for me.

EDIT: Just now I tried to install the last update twice and it failed with an error code 800B0100. What is that and how do I fix it?

Found it. Looks like it's a fairly common error there's a fix tool for; will try it and report back.

Astrofig fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 1, 2015

• Locked thread