Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Senate Inquiry into Detention Centres presented it's report.

"Guardian AU posted:

All children should be removed from Nauru detention, Senate inquiry finds
Immigration detention centre ‘is not well run’ and ‘insupportable’ in its current form, five-member cross-party select committee reports

All asylum seeker children should be removed from the Nauru detention centre because the centre is “insupportable” in its current form, a Senate inquiry has found.

The Nauru regional processing centre is marred by widespread allegations of child abuse, violence against asylum seekers, deprivation and sexual assault, and the Australian government does not know what is happening on the island, a five-member cross-party select committee into abuse on the island reported on Monday.

“Nauru is not run well, nor are Wilson Security and Transfield Services properly accountable to the commonwealth despite the significant investment in their services,” the majority report says.

“The committee believes that the shortcomings of the current framework offer no reassurance that the department is fully aware of events on Nauru.”

All asylum seeker children should be removed from Nauru, new laws should mandate reporting of sexual assault and violence allegations, and workers on the island should submit to daily drug and alcohol tests, the committee’s report recommended.

Women and children – there are now 87 in detention – were particularly vulnerable to sexual harassment and assault, because they could not be removed from the island, or moved anywhere safe on Nauru, the committee argued.

The committee also found that Australia – not Nauru – is legally responsible for the abuses in Nauru detention centre, because it has “effective control” of it.

Australia’s justifications that problems on Nauru are a matter for that country’s government are “a cynical and unjustifiable attempt to avoid accountability”, the committee said.

“Australia created the regional processing centre in Nauru. It is Australia’s responsibility and in its present form, it is insupportable.”

The committee condemned the Department of Immigration and Border Protection for its lack of control of the centre, and the absence of any reporting mechanism for staff “to disclose allegations of mistreatment, abuse or to make complaints”.

“The department has been unaware of serious acts of misconduct by staff of contractors, as those contractors have not adequately fulfilled their reporting obligations.”

The committee said the government and its contractors had attempted to hide information about what was happening on Nauru. “The committee remains of the view that the government in particular has sought to avoid the full accountability to which the Senate is entitled.”

The report found that running the detention centre on Nauru has cost Australian taxpayers $1.333bn since it was reopened in September 2012 – about $37m a month.

On average, asylum seekers spent 402 days in detention on Nauru.

The Senate inquiry follows last year’s report by the Australian Human Rights Commission, The Forgotten Children, into children in Australian immigration detention.

That report found that more than 300 children committed or threatened self-harm in a 15-month period in Australian immigration detention, 30 reported sexual assault, nearly 30 went on hunger strike, and more than 200 were victims of assaults.

The government will respond to the Senate report after consideration of its recommendations. The office of the immigration minister, Peter Dutton, has been contacted for comment.

The Liberal party senators on the committee, Linda Reynolds and David Johnston (who replaced Cory Bernardi), presented a dissenting report, arguing that the government of Nauru was responsible for the running of the centre and that much of the inquiry was politically motivated.

“The government has a determined and successful policy of ending the illegal trafficking of people into Australia and this policy is politically unacceptable to some senators,” they wrote. “This inquiry has sought in many respects to advance the political perspective of those opposing senators.”

The government senators said many of the allegations of abuse were untested and reliant on “unsubstantiated hearsay”. They said the number of children in detention on Nauru had decreased significantly under the government and said all of the committee’s recommendations were “redundant”.

The Greens’ immigration spokeswoman, Senator Sarah Hanson-Young, who was spied upon by guards when she visited Nauru on an official visit, said the detention regime was damaging children. “It can’t be made any clearer that locking children up with the guards on Nauru is exposing them to abuse,” she said.

“The government’s head-in-the-sand approach to mounting evidence of systemic child abuse is causing immeasurable harm.”

The Greens tabled additional recommendations including: the reinstatement and compensation of 10 Save the Children workers who were sacked on untrue allegations of coaching self-harm among asylum seekers; a royal commission into children in detention, and; an Australian federal police investigation into spying allegations.

Hanson-Young also called for the termination of Transfield’s contract to run the Nauru detention centre on the day the government indicated it wanted to negotiate with Transfield for another five-year deal.

When questioned about the inquiry’s recommendation that journalists should be allowed to visit the Nauru detention centre, Dutton, the immigration minister, said he would not dictate migration matters to another sovereign country.

“It’s an issue for the Nauruan government,” he told Sky News.

hooman fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
quick quick quick report a story about a prisoner attacking guards and trying to escape because thats totally not something anyone would do if held against their will

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Bif I found a picture you might like:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

GoldStandardConure posted:

Bif I found a picture you might like:

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Jesus Christ

Oh hey, reminder to Craig, I hope you are still thinking about my little "ideal world" question. I like to ask it because I like to believe that somewhere, in even a hardened right-wing heart, almost everyone has the same overall wish for people to pull their weight enough to chip in and make the world a better place somehow. People may end up with vastly different priorities and ideology-based beliefs on what strategies will work, of course. But when you look at the actual data for how utterly ridiculous the wealth distribution actually is, I just have to hope that little by little, it can eventually break through to make even some rusted-on bootstrappers start to question their common wisdom for how things should work.

I should really work on writing up those video game analogies some more into something more easily shareable outside of the flow of Auspol conversation...

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Surprise, Chris Kenny [url=https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1ASUC_enAU572AU572&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#safe=active&q=%22jejune%22+%22Chris+Kenny%22+site:https://www.theaustralian.com.au]doesn't know what 'jejune' means[/url]

It's 'thin and unsatisfying' not 'immature' :ssh:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Starshark posted:

Surprise, Chris Kenny [url=https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1ASUC_enAU572AU572&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#safe=active&q=%22jejune%22+%22Chris+Kenny%22+site:https://www.theaustralian.com.au]doesn't know what 'jejune' means[/url]

It's 'thin and unsatisfying' not 'immature' :ssh:

Can you put that in a sentence?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Jumpingmanjim posted:

chris can't

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Jumpingmanjim posted:

This post is highly jejune. Wait - I mean YOUR post not mine! D'oh!

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
Tony Abbott Loves Anal

This just in: From Media Watch!

This is our current political(therefore social) sphere... How splendid!

SubEdit; I need a god-drat beer, who knows what QandA is going to throw at us this week!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Apparently there's no Australians on it so it might be ok.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
loving Hell Four Corners doesn't gently caress around.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

chaos rhames posted:

Apparently there's no Australians on it so it might be ok.

A breath of fresh air so far, I'd been so busy for once I hadn't recalled who was on this week.

I love hearing a different perspective of our beautiful nations shitness.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Jumpingmanjim posted:

loving Hell Four Corners doesn't gently caress around.

I'm well and truly away from tv reception and good internet.. I understand this is the 7-11 exposè? Can u fill me in?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I hope they feed 7-11 to the lions but Abbott will probably come out in support of the stores because of Ah Penalty Rates and Ah Wage bloat forcing these small business owners to break the law.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

I hope they feed 7-11 to the lions but Abbott will probably come out in support of the stores because of Ah Penalty Rates and Ah Wage bloat forcing these small business owners to break the law.

is the ignore function not working? Why am I seeing this graic post?

wait

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

That franchise owner advocating hiring people on expired visas for 5 dollars an hour :how:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I have full confidence in the AAAC, Border Farce and Fairwork Australia that nothing will be done.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I'm waiting for a front bench member to ask the public to put themselves in the position of a small business owner.

The true victims here.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Bifauxnen posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Jesus Christ

Oh hey, reminder to Craig, I hope you are still thinking about my little "ideal world" question. I like to ask it because I like to believe that somewhere, in even a hardened right-wing heart, almost everyone has the same overall wish for people to pull their weight enough to chip in and make the world a better place somehow. People may end up with vastly different priorities and ideology-based beliefs on what strategies will work, of course. But when you look at the actual data for how utterly ridiculous the wealth distribution actually is, I just have to hope that little by little, it can eventually break through to make even some rusted-on bootstrappers start to question their common wisdom for how things should work.

I should really work on writing up those video game analogies some more into something more easily shareable outside of the flow of Auspol conversation...

Yep, I've certainly thought about it. I've even jotted down some answers to all of your questions.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Craig, where do you think I am at in life?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Goodnight August, you were a fairly poo poo month all around, but not nearly so bad as Cartoons shitfest.

I leave you with this parting gift, a crossing of worlds.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
In the wake of startling revelations of systemic underpayment of workers in a Fairfax Media and Four Corners investigation, the company has also announced a review of wages by an "eminent Australian" and promised repayments.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: The Problem Attic > Dyson Heydon to lead investigation into 7-11.

The Interactive (it plays gifs) report is the best one I found.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 31, 2015

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Ronald McDonald to head 7-11 commission.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Mods namechanges please:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I blame the unions

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
bumpunisher69 is too good

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Yoink.

New thread is up.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

tithin posted:

Goodnight August, you were a fairly poo poo month all around, but not nearly so bad as Cartoons shitfest.

I leave you with this parting gift, a crossing of worlds.

Is this some sort of blame the previous thread BS? Come on this one was clearly worse. Sure you got lucky with some LNP self inflicted comedy gold but otherwise...:itwaspoo: and you know it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
holy lmaoey

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-01/fairfax-abc-trying-to-bring-government-down-dutton-says/6739158

"The reality is that there is a bit of a jihad being conducted by Fairfax at the moment."

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
:fork:

I remember that the point where rudd/gillard blamed the media was about when the knives REALLY came out for them.
You can't call out the media for calling you out, it's literally their job.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

holy lmaoey

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-01/fairfax-abc-trying-to-bring-government-down-dutton-says/6739158

"The reality is that there is a bit of a jihad being conducted by Fairfax at the moment."

quote:

Mr Dutton stepped up his criticism on Sky Television: "The reality is that there is a bit of a jihad being conducted by Fairfax at the moment, [it's] hard to get a good story up in Fairfax, [they're] publishing stories without checking with my office, stories that are factually incorrect."
__________________________/

Come on son.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

• Locked thread