Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lose/Lose is a video-game with real life consequences. Each alien in the game is created based on a random file on the players computer. If the player kills the alien, the file it is based on is deleted. If the players ship is destroyed, the application itself is deleted.

Although touching aliens will cause the player to lose the game, and killing aliens awards points, the aliens will never actually fire at the player. This calls into question the player's mission, which is never explicitly stated, only hinted at through classic game mechanics. Is the player supposed to be an aggressor? Or merely an observer, traversing through a dangerous land?

Why do we assume that because we are given a weapon an awarded for using it, that doing so is right?

By way of exploring what it means to kill in a video-game, Lose/Lose broaches bigger questions. As technology grows, our understanding of it diminishes, yet, at the same time, it becomes increasingly important in our lives. At what point does our virtual data become as important to us as physical possessions? If we have reached that point already, what real objects do we value less than our data? What implications does trusting something so important to something we understand so poorly have?

this is a ripoff of myth ii's uninstaller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Adam Bowen posted:

But do you think every designer is Miyamoto? You don't just sit down and decide to make something original and then a new idea pops out, you learn as much as you can about your craft and you actually create things and then maybe one day you have a good idea and run with it and it turns out to actually work and that's awesome. Or it turns out to be stupid as poo poo and you try again.
Ideas aren't good or bad they're just ideas. If you have the skills to execute those ideas you should do em. Have you never seen a game jam?? A ludum dare? I'm not talking about strange fantastical stuff here, people doodle out ideas all the time, good or bad

e: we mentioned doublefine before and half their games come out of their Amnesia Fortnight game jams, I'm sad they're not doing one this year

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 1, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Instant Sunrise posted:

this is a ripoff of myth ii's uninstaller
Which, in turn, is a cheap copy of that time Alan Turing got really drunk and ran through the facility waving a magnet around.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"Alan, you've destroyed a year's worth of work!" "Nooooo, I was, I was, I was mainframed! Hahahahhahahaha."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"Dammit, Alan, we're going to have to chemically castrate you for this one!" "You'll have to catch me first, hoo-hoo!" "Tuuuuuriiiiiing!"

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Ideas aren't good or bad they're just ideas. If you have the skills to execute those ideas you should do em. Have you never seen a game jam?? A ludum dare? I'm not talking about strange fantastical stuff here, people doodle out ideas all the time, good or bad

Sure, but there's no shame in sticking to an established idea if it's what you're good at and if people still want more of it. If every novelist in history had just decided to quit after their first novel so they could do "something new" then the world would be a shittier place without some of the great works they created later on.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Adam Bowen posted:

Sure, but there's no shame in sticking to an established idea if it's what you're good at and if people still want more of it. If every novelist in history had just decided to quit after their first novel so they could do "something new" then the world would be a shittier place without some of the great works they created later on.
I'll agree with you although Inafune was there at capcom when like. Megaman X5 happened, and Megaman ZX

It may not be best for everyone but I would still like to see some established creators try something new via kickstarter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Please help to fund production of the new hip-hop album by me, Hideous K.

• Locked thread