Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
No they don’t.

As of the time of this OP, Verdun is 50% off on Steam! Even if you miss the sale it's only like $20 so grab it and rock out! http://store.steampowered.com/app/242860/

What is Verdun?

Verdun is a 32-player tactical team- and class-based shooter set in the trenches! If that sounds too close to every ARMA clone you’ve ever heard of, here’s what makes Verdun a little different:

1. A very interesting and unique main game mode called Frontlines that is a cross between Battlefield’s Rush mode and classic King of the Hill. In Frontlines, one side attacks at a time and one side defends, then roles switch (but only if the attackers suck too hard for too long). Each side has a series of trenches they can be pushed out of, recapture, and launch an attack into no man’s land from. Take and hold against the enemy counterattack for a set period of time to score points and unlock access to the next enemy trench. Don’t let the enemy stay in your home long enough to do the same to you.

2. No cool modern weapons with tricked out scopes and killstreaks. The pace of gameplay is much more deliberate than Counter-Strike. In general, you get a dinky old rifle. This rifle fires one shot and then your character works the bolt to fire it again. You don’t actually fire it again though, because someone with 500 hours in the game spotted your muzzle flash from 300 yards away and headshot you halfway through the animation.

In general, your tactical options are reduced from more modern realistic shooters which makes sense considering this is 1916. This is good, as it emphasizes skill because everyone is equally poorly equipped and forces you to play conservatively and decisively. Leaving your squad leader/NCO behind to run screaming at the enemy trenches won’t end well. You’re not going to hipfire anybody, you’re not going to quickscope noobs. You will be shot by someone you never saw and there are no killcams.

Squad leader, huh? Tell me about the squads in-game.

There are several unique squads to choose from whether you play as Central Powers or Entente armies. Each squad has its own perks that can, for example, increase rifle handling and reloading speed. In addition, squads have four roles for you to choose from:

1. Squad leader/NCO. :siren:STAY AWAY FROM THIS IF IT'S YOUR FIRST TIME PLAYING.:siren: The NCO has a passive aura that grants point bonuses to any action performed by the other 3 players in the squad, encouraging team members to stick close together and back each other up. The NCO can lay down move markers when attacking or defending, call in recon planes, and/or drop gas attacks or conventional artillery. Using these abilities effectively requires an educated feel for the game and good situational awareness. A good NCO can almost single-handedly turn the tide of a battle if everyone else is running around like idiots. Lastly, you get a sweet pistol that's one of the few rapid fire weapons in the game and you can and should light motherfuckers up at breathing distance when you're leading the final assault into a trench you've pounded with artillery.

2. Rifleman. This is what you'll start playing as. The rifleman's job is to trade potshots, bayonet fools in the trenches for instant kills, and die alot. Like, alot. To get your proper introduction to this class (and thus Verdun as a whole), boot up the FFA deathmatch mode before hopping into Frontlines. Roll without any accessories like a scope (bayonet, maybe) and just focus on getting your intuition down about where other players are moving and hiding. Learn how to account for bullet drop and leading moving targets. Try to topfrag at least once before moving onto Frontlines which will still be overwhelming at first. But rifleman is important because every skill you learn applies to the other classes. The NCO's artillery and gunner's automatic rifle can both be thought of just very big rifles. Point and shoot still applies. If you don't have that intution down about where the fuckers are gonna be, you'll waste your abilities. If you don't have good intuition about where to shoot from, you won't get to shoot because a sniper picked you off.

3. Machine gunner. Again, :siren:STAY AWAY FROM THIS IF IT'S YOUR FIRST TIME PLAYING.:siren:. It's too important to waste, you sorry rear end goon. I cannot believe how many players think the MG is their free ticket forget every lesson they've learned. You are not invincible. Yeah, sometimes you will get that Hollywood feeling of gunning down entire squads as they rush across no man's land at you. But everyone on the map is gunning for this class. Your gun has a very distinct sound and warrants any response up to and including an artillery strike just for you. :love: But if you've learned your rifleman trade properly, you'll understand that things like concealment and cover still matter and that you'll have to choose between having full view of the battlefield (and getting killed pronto) versus predicting where the enemy will be, where they're hiding or advancing from, and setting up so that you'll see them (and they'll see you) only when they've entered your kill zone. Don't forget to change positions regularly!

4. Bomber. Eh, if someone's already taken rifleman and they're doing well, this is fine. Bomber gets grenades and a rifle. Same rules apply as rifleman apply so there's no much to say, but think of 'nades as a personal artillery strike. Bombers are solid if you've got a taste for crossing no man's land, infiltrating close to the enemy line without them knowing you're there, and dunking them with some shrapnel before your friends rush in. They're useful defensively too since there's tons of craters everywhere and the enemy will duck into them to survive when they're charging. Get their heads down then toss some love their way.

All these rules I've laid out have exceptions and counter-exceptions. They can't be communicated, only learnt. And oh yeah, all classes have a gas mask. Press 4 to use it.

I advanced with my squad and we still got machine gunned/sniped/bombarded!

Half of this game is all about information. If they see you coming a long way off, that's more time for them to set up an ambush/tell their buddies about you.

Okay, we dropped gas on their trench to reduce their situational awareness, then crawled for 5 minutes to get to there unseen and still got machine gunned before we saw anyone! :mad:

Digital war is hell. Verdun hurts you because it loves you, baby.

Alright, that's the major pointers. Frankly I have no idea if there's sufficient interest in this game to warrant a goon group. If there's interest in playing together, PM me and/or we can start a group if we get critical mass. I'll keep the OP updated with more answers to questions as people want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Reserved, just in case.

kevin mung
Jul 15, 2013

by Shine
This game is cool as hell. since this is probalby the only post this thread is going to get, lets use this space to talk about gaming together sometime friend.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Bought this game on this thread's recommendation. It's really fun. Its hard to feel frustrated since you pretty much know you're a meat shield going in. My introduction dropping in is watching my squad get gunned down in front of me within the trench during an enemy charge, and bayoneting a few before getting shot.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
This game is cool and good.

The last time(or sometime before) this game was on sale I made a few gameplay videos to advertise it but I didn't end up posting them in many places.
Here's some 14 minutes of lots of varied clips.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXxc2L_2HF4
Some other videos I made, which consists of clips from the above video(might be different editing, I don't remember), were:
British officer grenade jumping
me dying in the same place over and over as our attack fail and the battle ends in a stalement
where I use a machine gun on the french, who obviously just lack élan

Sadly, the one time I ever ended up playing with a group of goons they incessantly whined, about how there was too many trenches or mud or whatever, before the ragequit.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

More games need chemical weapon artillery like this.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

More games need chemical weapon artillery like this.

Played a game last night where we attacked a gassed trench. Eerie as hell stalking through there while wearing the gas masks and occasionally blind firing into the smoke.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is Red Orchestra without all the fancy 1942 toys.

it's amazing

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Just so you know, the game apparently has issues loading Nvidia cards. It defaults to my Intel integrated every single time. Its a common problem with other players on the steam forum, and apparently theres no fix yet. It's still playable with a decent fps and graphics settings for me though

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

If you haven't discovered the joy of the MP18 aka the only SMG in the game, I suggest you start playing the German side. I single-handedly wiped two whole squads just by crouch walking down the trench and hipfiring nerds who were watching no man's land. So much delicious delicious salt in the allchat. :getin:

That was pretty fortunate though. Eventually if you keep seeing enemies that close in your luck will run out. Most of the squads give the bomber class the option to just run with a pistol and 3-4 grenades. You're useless until you get into the trenches but then you just throw nades around every corner and the kills roll in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
You can put a bayonet on your revolver in this game, so it's good.

• Locked thread