Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

marblize posted:

Was it actually dark or were romcom crowds just upset that it indeed ended in its namesake?

It probably didn't help that the Vince Vaughn film immediately before it was Wedding Crashers, a movie so light hearted it made so skeezy a concept appealing to people.

The Break Up was a big shift from that and I imagine people were expecting another Wedding Crashers in terms of tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

But he's James Bond! He's a ringer! He does his thing then gets killed.

I actually felt like his role drew a lot from his role in The Matador.

well why not posted:

There were a lot of advertisements that kind of explained the premise where I was, unfortunately. Seeing that movie with no clue of what it is would be an amazing experience. It'll be interesting to see what the next generation of kids think of that - with the hype subsided does The Matrix hold up? I watched it recently and it's still a great film, but I do wonder how it'll be received in the future. Fun fact: The word 'Internet' is not present in the script.

I remember talking to my college undergrad students about The Matrix a year or two ago and most of them hadn't seen it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Matador is a better fit there yeah.

marblize
Sep 6, 2015
Is No Escape's marketing misleading about its "white people stuck in a forrrrreign conflict!!!" premise? Is it remotely subversive regarding that?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Maluco Marinero posted:

It probably didn't help that the Vince Vaughn film immediately before it was Wedding Crashers, a movie so light hearted it made so skeezy a concept appealing to people.

The Break Up was a big shift from that and I imagine people were expecting another Wedding Crashers in terms of tone.

Goddamn I hated Wedding Crashers. Only good parts were Walken and Ferrell.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

marblize posted:

Is No Escape's marketing misleading about its "white people stuck in a forrrrreign conflict!!!" premise? Is it remotely subversive regarding that?

If by subversive you mean "is the film not about that?" then no.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

marblize posted:

The only thing slightly misleading is that narratively he, specifically, is the target of a manhunt. It's an anti western coup but the vast majority of deaths are locals. But they do have someone on a loudspeaker trolling him and his family.

So you might think it's a "kill the whites" thing but it's more like "kill lots but especially Phillip".

It's not bad for what it is and Lake Bell is much better than Owen Wilson.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Did you also get the impression that it started life as a found footage movie?

marblize
Sep 6, 2015

If by subversive you mean "is the film not about that?" then no.

I meant more "does the movie acknowledge and undermine the xenophobic tropes typical of the genre?" but the snark is appreciated.

^^Thank. Will probably moviepass it.

marblize fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 14, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I wasn't being snarky, I was asking "what is meant by subversive?"

marblize
Sep 6, 2015

I wasn't being snarky, I was asking "what is meant by subversive?"

Oh, sorry!

Yeah I just mean sometimes these movies seem like either 'look at the evil foreigners' or 'look at these rich white people stuck in a tsunami that's devastating local populations' and I had hopes that it might throw some sort of curveball into that expectation, though maybe that expectation of mine is generally unfair, who knows

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think it's totally fair to think that. I found that the film both indulged the cliches while subtly (visually) damning the protagonists every chance it got, which was the most clever but unsatisfying part of the film. It's very difficult for a film like that to have a "fair" point of view, but I enjoy seeing them try.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

And there was a part near the end when Brosnan goes off on a speech about how neoliberalism fucks over the Third World and the coup was directly a result of Owen Wilson's company taking over the country's water supply and how the rebels are just doing what they're doing to protect their own kids, but it's literally just that one scene, it's immediately undercut by a joke about eating a dog, and the rest of the movie is right back to the evil Asian mob with nothing else on that revelation coming up again.

Although it is funny to think that (minor spoilers for the end if anyone cares) the Vietnamese army saves them at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That was a nice "twist" ending.

• Locked thread