Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Purely a survey question but, I am (with someone who is a better painter than I am) going to be putting on a panel at a convention that isn't really about minis gaming, but the panel will be about getting into minis gaming for people who have never done it before. I want to talk about what you need to start painting, some games that are low cost of entry AND low rules complexity while being high fun, and other poo poo like that. The panel is called Hobbies Demystified : Assembling and Painting Models and Miniatures. I want to get people into this poo poo. I have an hour of time. What would you cover in an hour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

quote:

games that are low cost of entry AND low rules complexity while being high fun

poo poo, I'd like to know this myself.

When it comes to the topic I'd probably emphasize prep work as being the most important thing to nail down for newbies. This is all poo poo I wish I would've known 20 years ago when I started painting models:

Cleaning sprues in soapy water.
Using clippers, x-acto knives and files to properly get parts off the sprue and cleaned up.
How to put parts into sub-assemblies instead of building the entire model in one go.
Which adhesive to use for what and when (superglue vs. plastic cement)
Affixing the parts for spray priming.
Proper spraying technique.
Basic color theory.
Thinning yer paints, using a brush.

All that would likely fill an hour.

• Locked thread