Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
METATERREN
Jul 3, 2015

I enjoy putting things in my mouth.
Metropolis (メトロポリス Metoroporisu?) is a 2001 anime film loosely based on the 1949 Metropolis manga created by Osamu Tezuka, itself inspired by the 1927 German silent film of the same name, though the two do not share plot elements. The anime, however, does draw aspects of its storyline directly from the 1927 film. The anime had an all-star production team, including renowned anime director Rintaro, Akira creator Katsuhiro Otomo as script writer, and animation by Madhouse with conceptual support from Tezuka Productions.
-wikipedia

Alright so the movie was real legit.

I can't say that every scenario and every character was totally fleshed out.

The movie is more whimsical and desperate than serious and dramatic.

During the film we spend our time following a boy and an important companion he comes across and in another track we follow his Uncle who lost track of the boy. The Uncle is a private detective on the case to figure out what was going on at a giant high-tech factory ran by a famous scientist-outlaw before the factory burned to the ground.

These characters are our solid string as we encounter a variety of others such as a jealous son of an insanely wealthy and powerful business magnate, the president of the city of Metropolis, a revolutionary youngster who wants to throw out the use of Robotic Labor, and other characters.

Eventually the world is nearly destroyed, but the heart and grit of our boy takes us through to survival.

Thus Metropolis.

I watched it on Crackle.com. No ads with adblock enabled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I loved this film. It regresses a bit into the "technology out of control" narrative but has a lot of charm to it. The soundtrack dissonance in the finale is also my favorite thing ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UNj-VK43iQ

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
This is a film that really deserves to be seen in the theater, on the big screen. The atmosphere really comes through much much more strongly, the great world building really resonates. A+

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I saw this on Encore Action when I was like seven and then somehow mostly forgot about it. It oooooooowns though. I should really rewatch it, I mostly remember the finale and the scene of Rock chasing Kenichi and Tima and shooting at them (and I only really remember one specific slow-mo shot from the latter scene that looked completely loving awesome).

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 23, 2015

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I saw this on Encore Action when I was like seven and then somehow mostly forgot about it. It oooooooowns though. I should really rewatch it, I mostly remember the finale and the scene of Rock chasing Kenichi and Tima and shooting at them (and I only really remember one specific slow-mo shot from the latter scene that looked completely loving awesome).

As soon as I read the thread title I came in to make this exact same post. I remember falling in love with it then, I should definitely rewatch it now.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
X, by the same director, is also totally worth a look. It's not as good as Metropolis, mostly because it's an ultra-compressed adaptation of a pretty long and incredibly convoluted manga (which basically results in the plot being utter gibberish), but it's every bit as beautifully animated, and the fight scenes are pretty loving rad.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
alright so this thread is real legit

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

It was a pretty good anime interpretation of a classic movie and it had some absolutely stunning artwork in it that was intensely claustrophobic.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I straight up bought it sight unseen when I saw the list of people involved, and I think it's my favorite anime movie ever. The comics are worth a look as well.
My favorite thing about the movie is the soundtrack, it's amazing.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

CountFosco posted:

This is a film that really deserves to be seen in the theater, on the big screen. The atmosphere really comes through much much more strongly, the great world building really resonates. A+

cant see this movie work outside a big screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

CountFosco posted:

https://youtu.be/s600Kw4zA84?t=164

There's this one shot at the beginning where the camera pans up the building to show how tall it is, and I remember in the theater being blown away because the camera is racing upwards at ridiculous speed and it still took a long time to get to the top. The effect really only works on a big screen.

• Locked thread