Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I posted about this in the Window thread, but didn't get a response so I will post it again here. When I was still on Window 8.1, the laptop would maintain the same size and postion for all opened programs whenever I would unplug the external monitor. But after upgrading to Window 10 it would make all active program be sent to the far left hand size of the monitor with their size being reduced to around 480 x 600. This is weird since my laptop and external monitor are both on the 1920 x 1080 resolution, so it shouldn't be changing when the monitor is disconnected.This issue only appears if I use a external monitor.

However I have a second issue that happens whenever the laptop lid is closed, regardless if it hooked up to the monitor or not. When I close the lid on the laptop it will reset the brightness so everything is very bright and washed out. The color and brightness on the laptop is governed by the ATI Catalyst Control program, which I have to go in there and change the setting to revert it back to normal.

I could just just ignore it and just fix both whenever it happens, but it just so annoying to have to keep doing this constantly .Especially when both issues was not present in Window 8.1 but appeared with the installation of Window 10. The laptop is a MSI GX60 1AC with a Radeon HD 7970M buildin.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thinking the issue is related to the ATI Driver, as I am noticing two different graphic adapter are appearing on the laptop, the Radeon HD 7970M and oddly 7660G. I noticed when I disabled the 7660, it stops changing the windows and colors, but the 7970 will stop working if I do that.

[edit] Great, now it screws up the color AND re-sizes the windows whenever I close the laptop lid now. It only does this with the ATI software, but they are super slow at updating...I hate to have this issue last for a month.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 8, 2015

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Here a example of the resizing issue. Closing the lid again would cause the color loss, but I need to get another picture for that.

BEFORE

AFTER

Rirse fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 8, 2015

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I actually reinstalled Window 10 and it still causing this issue. I almost stopped closing the lid now since I just hate having to fix the color and window sizes each time.

grymwulf
Nov 29, 2013

What? Was it something I said?
I hate to ask the obvious question, but have you gone to the manufacturers website and downloaded those gfx card drivers? Don't rely on the relatively generic ones that windows tries to load.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Rirse posted:

Thinking the issue is related to the ATI Driver, as I am noticing two different graphic adapter are appearing on the laptop, the Radeon HD 7970M and oddly 7660G. I noticed when I disabled the 7660, it stops changing the windows and colors, but the 7970 will stop working if I do that.
This is because your laptop has two GPUs, one built into the CPU, and an additional dedicated graphics card. Like grymwulf said, make sure you install the latest drivers from the AMD website.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Alereon posted:

This is because your laptop has two GPUs, one built into the CPU, and an additional dedicated graphics card. Like grymwulf said, make sure you install the latest drivers from the AMD website.

I did use the newest AMD driver. I do wonder if that driver is the issue, as there is only a single driver for Window 10, which been the same one for a month now. There isn't even a beta option to see if that would fix it somehow. It has to be either a weird issue with Window 10 or the new AMD driver, as this issue never appeared once back on Window 8.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Yeah it doesn't seem too surprising that you'd be having driver issues on Windows 10, that's why it's always been recommended to wait a few months after the release of a new version of Windows before upgrading. It takes time for hardware manufacturers to release new drivers, and since AMD is on the verge of bankruptcy it will take even longer for them.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I just noticed AMD had a new Beta Driver out yesterday for Window 10. Sadly both issues are still present. I hate this since I can't use my external monitor, because there is no way to screw in the connector on the laptop so it falls out a lot and causes the two issues to kick in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
A month later and this issue still happening. I know the issue is with AMD, but they still not release a new driver that fixes the issues.

• Locked thread