Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Hey guys, a friend of mine has a all-in-one viao for sale. I'm debating buying it, but I honestly don't know nearly enough to accurately judge if its a good deal. I'm looking for a pc to play independent games like Gone Home - I want it to run your average game well enough. I've got a ps4 so I'm only going to use it for the occasional title.

Here's the specs. Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)
System Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
System Model: VPCL216FX
BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/12/11 10:09:23 Ver: 04.06.03
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM (6 GB)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
Built-in Speakers & Microphone
912 Gb Hard Drive

Not sure what thread this would fit in, feel free to move it around. Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Is he selling it for $100? That's a good deal.

Is he selling it for $1000? That's a bad deal.

Hope this helps.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Asking price is around $150ish.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Gone home is actually pretty graphically demanding. It won't run very well on a 540m. Though it's not exactly action heavy so that might not matter.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Narcissus1916 posted:

Asking price is around $150ish.

$150 looks like a steal if you just need a desktop for non gaming.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I do want to be able to game on it, but I don't really care about running it on high settings. As long as something were to run reasonably smooth on medium settings I'd be good. Would it be able to handle something like Payday 2 without coughing?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0U7wXkSJ1A evidently :shrugs:

For $150 you probably cant lose here but information on gaming with a 540m will be sparse

http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=3535&game=Far%20Cry%203&title=Benchmarks:%20Far%20Cry%203%20VS%20GeForce%20GT%20540M

Better than I would have imagined anyway

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Better more detailed information http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7220435

I think the price might be worth it just for the monitor side of things.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Narcissus1916 posted:

I do want to be able to game on it, but I don't really care about running it on high settings. As long as something were to run reasonably smooth on medium settings I'd be good. Would it be able to handle something like Payday 2 without coughing?

There are videos on youtube of Payday 2 being played on a 540M, so my guess is if you're happy with lower settings, yeah, why not, $150 isn't too much.

Here's some examples of games and frame-rates you can expect. Stick to the lower settings in more recent games and it should at least work.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 11, 2015

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Cheers man, that's exactly what I needed to hear. :)
I feel like 150 for a decent 24" screen OR a not-terrible gaming machine OR a PC that can go online etc. would be worth the money. All those things in one, heck!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I bought it.

I am an idiot.

The screen is pretty permanently yellow tinted, no matter how much I gently caress about with color temp, saturation, or hue settings.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

I bought it.

I am an idiot.

The screen is pretty permanently yellow tinted, no matter how much I gently caress about with color temp, saturation, or hue settings.

Ah, so the guy screwed you by giving you something faulty. Windows 7 does have a calibration wizard, so you can at least attempt to gently caress with that: Start>calibrate display color

But it's probably too serious to correct for. drat.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Narcissus1916 posted:

I bought it.

I am an idiot.

That's a pretty fantastic friend you got there who conveniently forgot to tell you about this before you exchanged 150 bucks for a laptop with a hosed screen.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Shank him and wear his skin to his funeral.

It's only fair.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
http://ebay.to/1NzsuuS

I'd start planning on a new LCD then ..

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ask for $50 back. Buy a monitor for $100, disable screen on the AIO.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

SlayVus posted:

Ask for $50 back. Buy a monitor for $100, disable screen on the AIO.

Yeah, I'd do this if possible. At least you can use the monitor for another machine down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Post pics of the pee screen.

• Locked thread