Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
What the actual gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

what the gently caress you have to wait for four minutes

what the gently caress was that final cutscene

WHY

I was all ready to salute the game for being marvelously stupid - seriously, why would a military-backed pharmaceutical company use time travel to research the effects of stress? - and it was even entertaining, what with the incredibly bad death animations, the flag snakes, the pig, the world's most boring gunfight - and then the game went and screwed over the only characters I like at this point (Big Boss) in order to have Adam get his happy ending with a character I vaguely remember.

Big Boss or the Time Cops would've been vastly better protagonists for this game. Imagine putting together all of that information in the journals yourself, or stopping the evil company or - just - wow. What the hell.

Thanks for the LP, Danaru, it was fantastic!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Goddamn it, you were right. It was marvelously stupid until it anti-climaxed in a boring stupid way. So Eva woke up there? So she was taken there? But didn't you kill the robots? And she wasn't insane, which was the critera for being taken there? And- and- :psyboom:

Thanks for the awesome LP of, uh, well I was going to make a joke to the effect of "a game" in the "of all the X it's certainly one of them" sense but I'm not even sure it qualifies as that.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I was following the tiny shreds of plot until we hit the time machine sabotage. Then I just shrugged and said gently caress it.

Thanks for playing this game so we don't have to. You've done good work, sir.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Can this be really considered an underwhelming end to a game if it had basically no plot to begin with?

Also nitpicking: those uniforms are accurate, they are used by the traffic police.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I was promised an ending that was stupid and boring and I was not disappointed.

By anything except the actual game.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

steinrokkan posted:

Can this be really considered an underwhelming end to a game if it had basically no plot to begin with?

You can't let anyone down if you never lifted them up in the first place.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Oh my god.

HotAndColdAF
May 30, 2011

Making Daddy proud.

ProfessorProf posted:

You can't let anyone down if you never lifted them up in the first place.

Maybe we can count this as half a let down.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

After reading the first part of that with the natives, I got the intro to "Hook(sticked) on a Feeling" stuck in my head, and I realized David Hasselhoff's video for that song makes way more sense than this did.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

HotAndColdAF posted:

Maybe we can count this as half a let down.

:master:

I've been waiting to see the thread's reaction, and it has not disappointed. I can still remember how incredulous Grace got during the VLP.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Danaru, all I can say is "thank you" and "I'm sorry". There is nothing else to say here.

Except:

Danaru posted:

Update 10 - The End

Adam automatically runs and hops down the ladder.

Good LORD that's an ugly loving space ship.

This image appears to not be loading for me.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
Thank you and gently caress that game

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Well, that sure was an interactive art piece. Pretty bad art and interaction but hey, outsider stuff can't all be good. Thanks for suffering through it all!

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Granny or granpa?

Dire Chinchilla
Mar 27, 2013
Say what you want, but the scene where Adam is killed by a pig headbutting his genitals makes the entire game worth it.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Wow. What a thoroughly unsatisfying ending to a incredibly lovely game. Danaru, you are a champ for playing through this to the end.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Dire Chinchilla posted:

Say what you want, but the scene where Adam is killed by a pig headbutting his genitals makes the entire game worth it.

The game should have ended there. It would make a more satisfying ending.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
At last the fever dream is over.

The game forcing you to enter the self-destruct password actually made me angry.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
So, our idiot-protagonist stumbles his way to a happy ending with a woman who is just sort of around at the time, and does so by mindlessly destroying everything he touches, betraying the trust of those helping him and ruining things for everyone but himself?

That's actually a worse ending than I thought.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh, and he's just sort of abducted Eva across space-time and she doesn't give a poo poo. Surely she would have had family when she almost died? Gah, I'm massively overthinking this stupid game. :psyduck:

Apo123
Sep 2, 2011
How much alcohol did it take you to write that last update?

Also, FG stands for Future Genetics, you can see it in the upper-left corner of the email screen.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Apo123 posted:

Also, FG stands for Future Genetics, you can see it in the upper-left corner of the email screen.

Still Future G*, still meant to be the devs. :colbert:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Apo123 posted:

Every time I think we've hit rock bottom, I find out something that makes me hate this game even more :shepface:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Why is a company called Future Genetics researching an anti-stress drug?

I mean, besides "Next Life."

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

When did this come out again? Because "the villain is the devs hurr" might not even be original, the villain in the fourth Advance Wars game, made by Intelligent Systems, owns a PMC called Intelligent Defence Systems.

E: nm, this beats that by a month.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 11, 2016

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Finished reading the last update. I think I will just sit here for a while and eat some yoghurt while staring mutely at the wall.

man this is some good loving yoghurt

Okay, so...

... no, I got nothing.

gently caress you Raichl you goddamn poo poo elemental

EDIT: No but seriously god drat

AlphaKretin posted:

So Eva woke up there? So she was taken there? But didn't you kill the robots?
I'm gonna assume she was in the ship that flew in while Adam was arriving. And of course Adam, being the immense cuntwaffle that he is, naturally didn't even think to check the ship that was just moments earlier revealed to be used for ferrying experiment victims.

AlphaKretin posted:

And she wasn't insane, which was the critera for being taken there? And- and- :psyboom:
And meanwhile poor Danica, who was clearly having a psychological meltdown, was allowed to stay on the island until she killed herself. BEEP BOOP WAT IS CONSISTENCY?

TheDarkFlame posted:

So, our idiot-protagonist stumbles his way to a happy ending with a woman who is just sort of around at the time
... a woman with whom most of his interactions have consisted of saying random unsettling things and generally being a creepy-rear end douche, and yet she somehow seems to fall for him?
You know, maybe the robots were right to take her to the facility afterall. :aaaaa:

Nordick fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 11, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
This game checked all the boxes on the "bad game" checklist and then added a few of its own. Future Games were real innovators.

But the story...oh god my head...FG, a company specializing in chronopharmacological research, skated through time abducting people all in the hopes of developing Xanax? Why didn't they just travel to the future and ask around about how to make the best anti-anxiety med in the year 3000 or something?

It made me really angry when Adam murdered that native and again when he killed that pig. Adam is a complete monster who kills entirely too many people for trivial reasons. I like to think that shortly after he arrived back in the present the Time Police showed up and hauled his rear end to Time Jail for his many crimes.

Thanks for doing this Dan, I wish you a speedy recovery from this game.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So, what are the chances (given all the varied assets on island 2) that the game was originally all one island and then someone had the bright idea of 2 > 1? It seems like all the content is on island 2, but what, an hour, maybe two worth of gameplay is there? (Not counting tedious clicking, reading a journal and waiting for 4 solid minutes). Seems kind of odd to back fill content rather than front load.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

When did this come out again? Because "the villain is the devs hurr" might not even be original

In .hack the villains (sorta) are CyberConnect Corp. Based of the real .hack devs CyberConnect2.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Adam is such a piece of poo poo.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

So, what are the chances (given all the varied assets on island 2) that the game was originally all one island and then someone had the bright idea of 2 > 1? It seems like all the content is on island 2, but what, an hour, maybe two worth of gameplay is there? (Not counting tedious clicking, reading a journal and waiting for 4 solid minutes). Seems kind of odd to back fill content rather than front load.
I'd wager that you were meant to find the soldier and interrogate him and find all the mystery out for yourself, but they ran out of time/money and threw the whole thing in a text dump instead

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
That barrage of images and webms per page is finally over.

A piddly 4 GB of RAM can't withstand that onslaught, apparently.

Congrats on getting through Next Life, Dan.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
How the gently caress did you find this piece of poo poo game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I kind of forgot this LP existed, and I thought it had been prematurely ended. Dan you should've prematurely ended this LP. Holy poo poo this game.

• Locked thread