Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
So I'm traveling in New Zealand for a year, and I'm trying to find a suitable car for driving. I'd prefer a hatchback I can sleep in to save on accommodation, and hope to be able to sell at the end of the year. I'm currently looking at http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/toyota/auction-924431541.htm, and some others in a similar price range.

My goals are:

Relearn driving manual (with my left hand this time!)

Be able to evaluate the general health of my vehicle.

Resell without losing too much money in the process.

Do you goons have any advice, recommendations, or warnings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
You should be able to get any number of Subaru wagons easily that would fit what you want. Just watch out for Orcs and Hobbits

azzurro
Oct 13, 2012
I have an ae101 wagon (same as those but prettier) and its crappy to sleep in.

the seats fold flat with the rear base folded up but then I cant lie striaght even diagonally because of the drat seat base, im im...not tall but not hobbit short either - could remove it but your travelling, soo

if you seriously are going to sleep in it get a camry/or legacy sized thing, or a van. Get a van

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Cars that cheap are going to be a gamble - don't assume the thing is actually going to be roadworthy just because it was a recent warrant of fitness.

Subarus have a really bad reliability reputation in New Zealand so you can grab one cheap - just avoid the twin turbo models (which are pretty much the whole reason for the bad rep)

e. If you buy from a dealer you'll pay more but be covered by consumer law. A lot of cheap dealers say they're selling the car 'as is where is' without any warranty - they can't actually legally do so

dissss fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Aug 9, 2015

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
6 ft tall, I've never had problems sleeping in the back of my Hilux Surf with the back seats flat. Very capable camper truck.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Reacon posted:

6 ft tall, I've never had problems sleeping in the back of my Hilux Surf with the back seats flat. Very capable camper truck.

and horrifically expensive here
a subaru legacy wagon will do you well, or as others are mentioning get a van

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Vans are expensive too as you'll be competing with a bunch of backpackers. Also cheap vans are awful to drive and hilariously unsafe

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

With any luck I'm going to be a backpacker and buy and drive a hilariously unsafe van at the end of this year. Probably get a cheap lucida or something, if not some kinda estate would prob be good too.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The people mover based ones are actually not so bad - it's the commercial L300/Hiace/Bongo I'd avoid

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

December Octopodes posted:

Do you goons have any advice, recommendations, or warnings?

For a $1600 car you are still going to be spending $250-300 on Registration for the Year, 2, 6 monthly inspection $50 ea. and probably $400 to 500 for full insurance cover, which may or may not include your possessions.

If you are going to spend all year in it, chances are it worth finding a better/more expensive one then just any random poo poo-box. Those Caribs are nice but a little on the small side if you manage to lure anyone back to you camper. the Lucinda and Estima's are a better, more pricey option. Esp if you are going to spend the year in it.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/honda/auction-917055672.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/toyota/auction-927206824.htm <--- this one comes with a ton of usefull poo poo that you would need to buy anyway.

If you just want a Wagon/ Hatch back to occasionally sleep in then Subaru of sorts or something from Toyota should do you fine. Mitsubishi also make a Galant Wagon called a Legnum http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/mitsubishi/auction-927800331.htm I am unsure if the seat fold flat, but they are fairly cheap compared to some other models. What time of year will you be landing. This can effect the price of cars quite dramatically in certain areas. ie Cheap 4wds and Subaru's in Queenstown go up in price by around a bunch (like 35%) when winter and the sky bums arrive.

It should be noted that we have plenty of Cheap/ free camp grounds around the country. Please refer to this bad boy https://www.rankers.co.nz/respect

Anphear fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 10, 2015

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming

Anphear posted:

For a $1600 car you are still going to be spending $250-300 on Registration for the Year, 2, 6 monthly inspection $50 ea. and probably $400 to 500 for full insurance cover, which may or may not include your possessions.

Unfortunate for me my budget leans towards 2000, but I'll be able to talk this guy into something closer to 1000 as he wants to get rid of it. The reg is going to be brought up to date by him,
[quote]
It should be noted that we have plenty of Cheap/ free camp grounds around the country. Please refer to this bad boy https://www.rankers.co.nz/respect

I'm actually shopping in country right now. The carib sounds okay in running, and my atrophied manual skills didn't detect a lovely gear box. Points against it are a chunk missing on the wheel well left rear, and a chunk of wood replacing the handle.

I am looking at others as well, but this trip is more about learning what my limits are, this includes camping rough or convincing backpacker that it's worth more than I paid. I won't necessarily spend the entire year in it, as a friend I made in Australia has offered her house rent free.

Being in Auckland kinda limits my search for the moment.

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013
Auckland doesn't always have the greatesr selection of cars for sale. I find Christchurch seems to be a goldmine. Have you considered or looked at Facebook groups? If you can filter out the bullshit, there may be a few decent deals.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

I'm actually shopping in country right now.

Ah I see. I also echo facebook groups are the way to go for this sort of poo poo. This one has a few desperate sales going on it.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Backpackers-CarsVans-sales-Auckland/1388603148099954?fref=ts

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/kia/auction-927909709.htm Build your own.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
My brother and I drove all over the North Island in a Suzuki Cultus we bought for $300 with a bit of body damage and gave it away to family when we left. I'm pretty sure it's still on the road.

If I were you I'd buy a kei van like a Suzuki Carry; 4WD if you can find it. Stick in a mattress, an icebox and a few rubbermaid bins for storage and off you go. I think all the kei vans have a full 6 foot cargo area, but check just in case. These vans are about as simple as transport gets, a handful of wrenches, 2 screwdrivers and a hammer make up a full toolkit and they are light enough that one person can get unstuck from sand or gravel with a few tools.

I'm not sure where you are from and therefore what kind of currency you are converting to fund your travels, but if you're American you are in luck, the dollar is back to trading about $2us to $3nz so gas is only about $5.20/gallon instead of the $8/gallon it's been in the last few years. Still it makes a light fuel efficient vehicle make sense. It's a small country and all the things worth seeing are way out on small tar-sealed roads, you'll rarely be making better than 50mph.

What kind of adventure is it without the fear of death from a parking lot speed wreck?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/suzuki/auction-926720381.htm

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Trouble is those little vans are anything but economical at open road speeds. Add to that how noisy, uncomfortable. unsafe and generally all round unpleasant they are and you'd be far better off in a Camry or an Odyssey or something.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm actually shopping in country right now. The carib sounds okay in running, and my atrophied manual skills didn't detect a lovely gear box. Points against it are a chunk missing on the wheel well left rear, and a chunk of wood replacing the handle.

I am looking at others as well, but this trip is more about learning what my limits are, this includes camping rough or convincing backpacker that it's worth more than I paid. I won't necessarily spend the entire year in it, as a friend I made in Australia has offered her house rent free.

Where in Auckland are you? The Ellerslie car fair is on every Sunday morning and you can find half decent things there, BUT you need to be aware every dodgy motherfucker trying to flog a clapped out van is gonna be there too.

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming

Two Finger posted:

Where in Auckland are you? The Ellerslie car fair is on every Sunday morning and you can find half decent things there, BUT you need to be aware every dodgy motherfucker trying to flog a clapped out van is gonna be there too.

I'm in the CBD, and I'm starting to lean towards the Carib Sprinter.

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013
How many Auckland goons are there?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Echotic posted:

How many Auckland goons are there?

Don't think there's many of us
What happened to poison pie anyway is he dead

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013
Poisoned Pie moved across the ditch iirc.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Echotic posted:

Poisoned Pie moved across the ditch iirc.

So probably dead from one of Australia's many horrors

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013
Wish he'd cone back, I miss the misadventures of Speed & Class. Also parts trafficking to Sock.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I still see him around the place, I'll get his attention

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
So I ended up getting a Subaru Legacy, and I'm currently chilling in Cambridge. New features I've discovered on my car:

The FM band on the radio cuts out and goes no higher than 90.0.
The driver's seat will not lock into place. I only tried to recline the one time!
The passenger seat will not so much as budge from it's position. It's basically exactly opposite.

All that said it drives, and maybe I can figure out how to fix these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The FM band on the radio cuts out and goes no higher than 90.0.

That's because the car started off its life in Japan (they use different frequencies over there)

You can get a band expander but usually it's better just to swap the head unit for one that supports the correct bands for NZ

• Locked thread