Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Ghogargi posted:

And she messaged a bunch of her furry friends saying she was going to kill herself. Not a single loving one of them called 911. All of them sent melodramatic texts begging her not to do it, flipping out, keening and wailing and all sorts of utter bullshittery. I hate them. I loving hate them because I know from experience they don't give a single poo poo about my daughter. They were feasting on the drama. If they really cared, they had her cell phone number and they could've called 911 and gave dispatch her name and number.

Once I was on video chat with a bunch of people and one claimed they were going to commit suicide. After telling them not to, they walked away from their computer and I let their local 911 operator know about it. After several questions I couldn't answer like their location, a landline phone, even a street or something they told me they couldn't do anything at all without the address. So I hung up, and just hoped that person came back to the computer and they did. To put it another way, do you really want random furries on the internet to have your daughter's address? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghogargi
Aug 10, 2015

Skunkrocker posted:

Once I was on video chat with a bunch of people and one claimed they were going to commit suicide. After telling them not to, they walked away from their computer and I let their local 911 operator know about it. After several questions I couldn't answer like their location, a landline phone, even a street or something they told me they couldn't do anything at all without the address. So I hung up, and just hoped that person came back to the computer and they did. To put it another way, do you really want random furries on the internet to have your daughter's address? :stare:

I know several of them have her addrss because she's ordered art from them and it's been sent here. I mean, yeah, I'd prefer they didn't, but it was the dramatic keenings that infuriated me.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
My heart goes out to you, Ghogargi. What a tough spot to be in; none of us want to see our kids repeat our mistakes. For what it's worth from an internet stranger, I think it is fantastic that you are taking the steps you're taking. I don't want to play internet psychologist (I don't play one in real life either) so please take this for what it is...I want to try to encourage you somehow. I work with a lot of families and I tell parents this all the time:

You are going to screw your kids up, no matter what. They will need counseling because of some of the things you do, no matter how good your intentions are. Through your best efforts and your failures you're going to make mistakes as a parent that have a big impact on your kids. Even some of the things you do right will have some negative impact on them.

Some people, including myself, find that sort of thing comforting. None of us will be perfect parents, and our dysfunctions don't just disappear. In some ways, you're a bad parent. In some ways, you're a great parent. The fact that you've identified and are addressing some of the mistakes you've made, and doing so with honesty and humility with your daughter, is massive. Most parents never get there.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Ghogargi posted:

Thank you for the advice. She and I have started joint counseling, and the focus has been how she's going down the same path I did. I think it's hard for her to accept it, because adolescents by nature want to state unequivocally that they are nothing like their parents. But we're slogging away at it.

My husband and I are going to get a plan together, and make sure my daughter is the #1 priority in everything for the foreseeable future. She never really had that before, and I hope it'll do some good. The saving grace is that she still loves me and wants to be around me, which is a huge blessing that can help with the healing.

Take some comfort from the fact that you got through it and out of it. Hopefully your daughter can too. I hope it all works out.

Ghogargi
Aug 10, 2015
She comes home tomorrow and we're gonna get to work. Everyone's in therapy and on meds. Thank you, guys, for the kindness and advice. It helps tremendously.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Ghogargi posted:

She comes home tomorrow and we're gonna get to work. Everyone's in therapy and on meds. Thank you, guys, for the kindness and advice. It helps tremendously.

This is so wonderful. All the best to you all!

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Ghogargi, I just want you to know that I grew up with a parent with serious untreated mental illness. My childhood was pretty lovely in a lot of ways because of it, and I developed some pretty scary mental health issues because of it, as did my siblings. But I want you to know that my mom eventually got the treatment she needed, and so did we all, and now I'm fine, I have a great life, and my relationship with my mom is pretty good. You can't change what you were like or what you were going through when your daughter was small, but you're doing all the right stuff now. If you guys work hard and work together you can build a good life for yourselves.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I think one of the best things we can give our children, collectively, is showing them when we screw up, that we try to improve, and not to give up.

I see you showing that to your daughter every day right now. I am so very impressed with you.

Ghogargi
Aug 10, 2015
Y'all are amazing. I know the next few months will suck, but I have real hope that things can get better if we work very hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Holy... this thread took a dark turn :stare:. I can't really add much to the discussion here, so add just another internet stranger hoping the best for you and your family. From what you've said, it is clear that even if bad things happened along the way, you really love your daughter, and that is already the biggest and most important thing in the path to recovery for both of you. So keep going strong. My heart goes out to you.

• Locked thread