Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

perfection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Phoenixan posted:

kinda assuming they did this as an effort to keep the eu from breaking them up lol
but ads, gmail, search and android are still all google

why would the eu worry about a bunch of other poo poo that nobody cares about

pram
Jun 10, 2001
they did it because the poo poo they split out are all pointless money sinks. this isnt rocket science

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pram posted:

they did it because the poo poo they split out are all pointless money sinks. this isnt rocket science

it's a place to park the millstones and albatrosses that googlers come up with in their 20% time that they just won't let go of. you know, instead of telling them "no, that's a loving retarded idea, shut the gently caress up about it already and get back to work". but they want to spin it like it's going to be the 21st century bell labs or something

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://abc.wtf

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

jony ive aces posted:

go to their site, https://abc.xyz/

click "more"

then click on the . after "drone delivery effort"

©2015 HOME BOX OFFICE, INC

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh god dammit

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i really need to watch that show

pram
Jun 10, 2001

infernal machines posted:

it's a place to park the millstones and albatrosses that googlers come up with in their 20% time that they just won't let go of. you know, instead of telling them "no, that's a loving retarded idea, shut the gently caress up about it already and get back to work". but they want to spin it like it's going to be the 21st century bell labs or something

its bell labs but without the creativity, talent, maturity etc

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

android's shittiness makes a lot more sense when you realize it was someone's 20% project

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

pram posted:

its bell labs but without the creativity, talent, maturity etc

bell labs with ball pits

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i think the problem with googles moonshot trash is its really pointless, but flashy. as in: it gets into the news but has no practicality. it all exists just for a pr boost, its like a potemkin bell labs. you certainly wont see any nobel prizes being minted from the work done

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

jony ive aces posted:

go to their site, https://abc.xyz/

click "more"

then click on the . after "drone delivery effort"

holy poo poo

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
let me alphabet that for you

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pram posted:

i think the problem with googles moonshot trash is its really pointless, but flashy. as in: it gets into the news but has no practicality. it all exists just for a pr boost, its like a potemkin bell labs. you certainly wont see any nobel prizes being minted from the work done

you just wait 'till their life sciences project perfects biological immortality!

you'll never stop aging and you'll suffer from perpetual minor illnesses, but you'll never die either. ever

seriously though, they're rich and comfortable and suddenly so terrified of their own mortality they're creating an "anti-aging biotech company"

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
standing in the aaaalphaaabeeet parking loooot

there's there shuttle bus there

pram
Jun 10, 2001

you just wait 'till their life sciences project perfects biological immortality!

you'll never stop aging and you'll suffer from perpetual minor illnesses, but you'll never die either. ever

seriously though, they're rich and comfortable and suddenly so terrified of their own mortality they're creating an "anti-aging biotech company"

the larry ellison strategy

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

bump_fn posted:

Calico, an anti-aging biotech company
Life Sciences, a company focused on health efforts
Nest, a maker of Internet-connected devices for the home
Fiber, high-speed Internet service in a number of American cities
Investment arms, such as Google Ventures and Google Capital
Incubator projects, such as Google X, which is developing self-driving cars and delivery drones
i look forward to the nightmarish future where we are all dominated by undying silicon valley executives who stomp around the earth in their giant death machines, looking to exploit us for our stem cells and ad clicks

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

This made me remember that I signed up for an account there in like 2005 or whatever. I was able to gain access to my account by answering my security question "what" with the answer also "what". I have received zero emails since 2005 :(

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
it's so they can have 6 ceos instead of just one

literally resume padding

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i go camping and then go to the store and the headline is about "alphabet" what the gently caress is going on

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

i personally think this is a really good business move
biiiiig props to google for this one

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

lol sergey's afraid of dying

It makes sense to me. If i had billions of dollars i feel like dying is the only bad thing that could happen

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy

pram posted:

it's kinda genius. at some point, i'd expect an activist investor to rouse the rabble, demand a spin-off of it's most profitable business unit, resulting in a new company called "Google." this new google would be lean, focus on web services & advertising, and not have to redirect profits to subsidize money-losing projects. who cares what happens to the gutted alphabet, because you're holding shares of pure, uncut google.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Flat Daddy posted:

It makes sense to me. If i had billions of dollars i feel like dying is the only bad thing that could happen

it's true, a billionaire's only natural enemy is entropy

it's just funny because it's so blatant. "oh poo poo, i'm rich enough to own several thirdworld nations but i'm still aging. quick, somebody invent immortality for me!"

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2015/04/04/tech-titans-latest-project-defy-death/

I'm really looking forward to Logan's Run becoming reality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSUAAKFLoL0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

lol no one gives a poo poo

i mean the richest corp right now is called apple. no one gives a poo poo about dumb loving names.

• Locked thread