Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
There's only one way to go from the top.
Opulence it is. I will do my best to make things as gaudy as possible. I also have the perfect outfit in mind, but it'll take a little while before we can actually wear it.

Also, it's finally time for another history lesson:

:siren:Episode 2 - A Pirate's Life For Me:siren:

Most of this video is probably more or less common knowledge, but I was hoping to get at least a few interesting tidbits in there.

I also didn't talk about pirate fashion, ironically enough, but to be fair it varied a lot. Unsurprisingly, the more wealthy pirates (especially captains) tended to dress pretty extravagantly so we're right on track to make this LP historically accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS

:siren:Episode 7 - Sugarcane And Its Yields -- Uncut:siren:

We still haven't nabbed any new clothes yet, but that will come soon. And it will not be disappointing. In the meantime, we did collect these:

Sea Shanties:
The Rio Grande

Manuscripts:
De Gama Diary Extract

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
Triple post? Yeah, sure.

:siren:Episode 8 - Proper Defenses -- Uncut:siren:

I'm still holding off on outfitting our ship for opulence just yet. But in this episode, we get ourselves kitted out in the perfect clothes befitting a pirate captain.

Sea Shanties:
Whiskey Johnny

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Lookin' good, Eddie, lookin' good.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Hi, Zarah. I'm not watching the main part of the LP since I'm currently playing through the game for the first time myself, but I fully appreciate you taking up Geop's mantle and including historical context videos for consumption with your LP.

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
So, after struggling severely with some connection issues that prevented me from uploading anything at all, I finally managed to work around it and have something to show for my absence. I still haven't solved the problem, but I'm hoping my workaround can at least work long enough until I can.

:siren:Episode 9 - A Single Madman -- Uncut:siren:

Also something of note, I mentioned we collected the sea shanty Whiskey Johnny last episode, but I actually did it this episode. That's it as far as collectibles go.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

And here I thought you'd just plum given up. Glad this is back. :D

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
Yay, you're back! Found this some time ago, really enjoyed your first videos, but same as Rabbi was sure the LP died a quiet death.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

That white panther (jaguar? forgot already) fight was perfect, pure :ubisoft:

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

Oh, brilliant! I've been really enjoying this LP, you guys have a great dynamic and the historical stuff is also awesome.

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
It's an update double feature!

:siren:Episode 2 - John From IT:siren:

:siren:Episode 10 - This Old Cove -- Uncut:siren:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

"Ahoy Captain! Give me seven thousand bucks and I'll set fire to some poo poo and get wasted with my friends!"

Gotta say, though, the part where you can ignore the main plot and just upgrade all your poo poo is probably my favourite part of the AC series. I like taking a break from being a stabman so I can be a venture capitalist instead.

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
If you like ignoring the main plot, then boy howdy are you going to love this episode.

:siren:Episode 11 - Side-Pirating -- Uncut:siren:

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
Okay, back to the plot. Let's go find Kidd and figure out what his deal is.

Also we get a new weapon! A weapon that is kind of out of place. Also overpowered. Really, really overpowered.

:siren:Episode 12 - The Sage's Buried Secret -- Uncut:siren:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Kinda looks like the captain got his throat slit. Should've worn a gorget!

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
So, after building a new computer and finally solving my technical problems, I can get myself and this LP back on track. And to do just that, here are two fresh episodes:

:siren:Episode 13 - Contracts and Convoys -- Uncut:siren:
:siren:Episode 14 - Traveling Salesman -- Uncut:siren:

And with a new region comes a lot of new collectibles:

Sea Shanties: (All shanty lyrics can be found here)
Randy Dandy-O
Leave Her, Johnny
Roll and Go
The Sailboat Malarkey
Cheerly Man

Manuscripts:
Vertumnus, a Portrait of Today

Zarah fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 15, 2016

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

Cool, you're back! That eavesdropping mission gave me a load of trouble; it's easy to register what they're saying when you've heard it 5 times.

Also, "Leave Her Johnny, Leave Her" is my favorite shanty. My men are only allowed to sing that one and "Running Down to Cuba".

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012
Finished watching all the episodes so far and I just wanted to say that this LP is Cool And Good and I don't know why the thread isn't more active. Black Flag is my favorite AC game as well, even though like everyone else I've gotten very disillusioned with the series after the first couple of games.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I'm so glad you're back! I really enjoy this life, keep up the awesome work.

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
I've been waiting to post this video for a long time, so I can finally stop dancing around one of the biggest spoilers in the game.

:siren:Episode 15 - Unmanned -- Uncut:siren:

Only a couple shanties to add to our collection, but I've gone ahead and updated the list in the OP with tindeck links to most of the shanties that I have files for. Some of them are still missing, so I'll have to track them down. But until then, you can listen to the shanties individually in all their glory, should you so choose. Naturally, the two shanties we collected today are not ones that I have audio for:

Sea Shanties: (All shanty lyrics can be found here)
Hi-ho Come Roll Me Over
Good Morning Ladies All

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012
I think this is one of those "plot twists" that was much bigger in the developers' minds than it actually turned out to be. Everyone I know who played this game figured it out pretty much the instant "Kidd" shows up for the first time, even without knowing the real history behind it. Then again, they didn't exactly try to obfuscate it from the player.

ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle
You guys really make Ole Knife Hands fun again, which is a challenge. If Ubisoft would just let go of the lovely framing device and enjoy the story they're telling it would be such a boon to these games. Watching a pirate have a grand time messin' dudes up and bustin' sails is way more fun than the weirdo plot ripped off from AM Coast to Coast.

fakeedit: The pet every animal policy is clearly A+.

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
Happy Mother's Day. That one day of the year in which everyone spends some quality time with Blackbeard.

Wait.

:siren:Episode 16 - Diving for Medicines -- Uncut:siren:

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

I really thought that whole conversation was a metaphor for the corruption and general wickedness at the heart of Nassau (being that it's run by pirates). The reveal that they actually want actual medicine was a bit of a shock.

Also, Blackbeard's firework hat is a work of genius and I wish we could get one for Edward.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Phon posted:

I really thought that whole conversation was a metaphor for the corruption and general wickedness at the heart of Nassau (being that it's run by pirates). The reveal that they actually want actual medicine was a bit of a shock.

That was really weird.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Blackbeard going to great lengths for medicine is historically accurate, though! It's a nice touch, and I will not be surprised if this comes up as part of a later mission.

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS

biosterous posted:

Blackbeard going to great lengths for medicine is historically accurate, though! It's a nice touch, and I will not be surprised if this comes up as part of a later mission.

How right you are:

:siren:Episode 17 - The Siege of Charles-Towne -- Uncut:siren:

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
It's been too long. And to make up for it, here's an update triple-threat: A new video for the LP, a modern day segment, and a new episode of Let's Learn. Content dump, here we go!

:siren:Episode 18 - We Demand a Parlay -- Uncut:siren:

:siren:Episode 3 - Frogger:siren:

:siren:Episode 3 - The Notorious Captain Kidd:siren:

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Always enjoyable to see pirate adventure again, and an update on every front is even better.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

The tech support guy is really, really annoying. Like, I don't even want to see us get one over on him, I just want to not here from again. loving insufferable.

The history lesson, however, was a treat!

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
Today we meet a certain man in uncertain circumstances.

:siren:Episode 19 - Upton -- Uncut:siren:

Zarah fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 4, 2016

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

:eng101: In Assassin's Creed 1, there was one target you don't kill. Altair thinks he's about to shank an important Templar dude, but it turns out to be a less-important Templar lady. He spares her since she's not his target (and also pretty, I guess?), and later they get married.

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS

biosterous posted:

:eng101: In Assassin's Creed 1, there was one target you don't kill. Altair thinks he's about to shank an important Templar dude, but it turns out to be a less-important Templar lady. He spares her since she's not his target (and also pretty, I guess?), and later they get married.

I forgot that she was an actual target. Learn something new every day!

And now it's time for episode 20! It's a busy episode.

:siren:Episode 20 - Do Not Go Gently -- Uncut:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
A little late, but I'm catching up a bit.
I love how Rebecca and Shaun, people way up on Abstergos poo poo list, don't even bother coming up with aliases. Rebecca first called him Shaun, and later gave her goodbyes to Mr Hastings. He's working undercover at a central Templar office. Is that the name on his paycheck? I wonder how that job interview went. "Nah I'm some other Shaun Hastings. The person you're describing sounds like someone who would have brown hair. But he must be really handsome."

I like the modern day stuff. It's so goofy and stupid sometimes.

• Locked thread