Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really loved how different monsters behaved differently in Gothic 2 (I've never played the first game), some are loners, some work in a pack some are loners and pack combined (get to close to a snapper and it starts moving towards you and sprinting once it gets close enough, shoot an arrow or a spell into a group of them and they all come charging). Enemies tried to flank you, some more than others. Like goblins spent more time trying to get behind you than attacking while orcs mostly tried to chop your face off. Summoning spells were so much fun too, undead monsters didn't work with non-undead and things like golems and demons tried to kill each other if you summoned more than one. Also summons were hostile to everything except you and you could murder the entire town, apart from one or two invincible npc's, by throwing waves of skeleton warriors at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sankis posted:

It had such a great atmosphere. It also had some pretty sharp, fun writing.

I love that the Nameless Hero is a total idiot who doesn't understand his own role in the story. When the climax of Gothic 2 comes, he just shrugs and shake his head in disbelief.

Swaegsthetics
Jul 8, 2013
Don't know if you guys have heard of this already, but there's a mod for Gothic 2 (some people have gotten it to work for 1 too) that supplies a DirectX 11 renderer for the game.

Active thread is here, but it's more German than English: http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1450841-D3D11-Renderer-f%C3%BCr-Gothic-2-%28alpha%29-17. It's compatible with some of the texture upgrade packs, but it's still in alpha and takes a bit of tweaking and Google translating.

• Locked thread