Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!

lifg posted:

What does pitching to the team mean? Is there a group email where everyone talks about book?

Sometimes, yes. On the indie books there are, they're more collaborative than the Marvel books. But I'll email the editor or the whole team (if I have all their emails) if I have an idea I want to try out.

quote:

Also, why would you turn down a job?

99% it's just a lack of time. I'm already on 20ish books. Other times it's politics, or knowing I'll hate working on the project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
What do you think of Bob Lappan? He's the letterer I recognize the most, from the Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League International/America/Europe run from 1987-92 -- some of my all-time favorite comics. His letters really stick out to me because they're tall and thin, often running together, and pretty obviously hand-written.

I don't even know if he's still working, but it seems like his style would have fallen out of favor along the way.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Is there any risk of carpal tunnel syndrome or some other kind of RSI?

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015
MoS, I have a question for you that has been on my mind for a while.

A looooonnnngggg time ago, there were comic books which were larger than the standard book. Almost the size of a newspaper but was bonded just like a comic book.

These were typically science fiction adult theme (graphic and story line) booklets with plots you might see on a modern day 'Twilight Zone' kind of show.

The graphics were all monochrome though with the stories only being about three to four pages long. Usually had about three to four stories in one book.

I don't remember any of the names of the publications but I was wondering if you knew what type of comic book these were called.

They came out around the mid 1970s.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

RazNation posted:

A looooonnnngggg time ago, there were comic books which were larger than the standard book. Almost the size of a newspaper but was bonded just like a comic book.

These were typically science fiction adult theme (graphic and story line) booklets with plots you might see on a modern day 'Twilight Zone' kind of show.

The graphics were all monochrome though with the stories only being about three to four pages long. Usually had about three to four stories in one book.

I don't remember any of the names of the publications but I was wondering if you knew what type of comic book these were called.

I don't know if he has an answer for that but it's not really a question about lettering.
Here are two threads in BSS that might be better suited to your question
General chat thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3691720
Q&A thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611360

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

RazNation posted:

I'm not sure but that sounds like the horror magazines Warren Publications put out, maybe Creepy or Eerie?

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

What do you think of Bob Lappan? He's the letterer I recognize the most, from the Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League International/America/Europe run from 1987-92 -- some of my all-time favorite comics. His letters really stick out to me because they're tall and thin, often running together, and pretty obviously hand-written.

I don't even know if he's still working, but it seems like his style would have fallen out of favor along the way.

Sadly, that seems to be the case. The last time I saw his lettering was on Formerly Known As The Justice League, and that was over a decade ago. Which is a shame, because he's drat good at packing in words. But maybe he just didn't want to go digital, or he found a better job somewhere else. I've always wanted to see his lettering in a horror comic, since his text is so thin and pointy.

Minister of Sound fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 2, 2015

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Is there any risk of carpal tunnel syndrome or some other kind of RSI?

Probably, since I am at a keyboard all day, but I don't know any letterers who have it. I've been using a Wacom tablet instead of a mouse for everything, and that's been a great way to avoid wrist strain.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

(whoops, double-post, please disregard)

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

How long does it usually take finding the right onomatopoeia to use at a given time?

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

Senor Candle posted:

I don't know if he has an answer for that but it's not really a question about lettering.
Here are two threads in BSS that might be better suited to your question
General chat thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3691720
Q&A thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611360

ok, thanks, I will ask over there.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

Minister of Sound posted:

I'm not sure but that sounds like the horror magazines Warren Publications put out, maybe Creepy or Eerie?

Well, they were along those lines but it was strictly SF material.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Pixeltendo posted:

How long does it usually take finding the right onomatopoeia to use at a given time?

It takes me maybe 1-5 minutes to figure out the shape and color. But for the word itself, the writers or editors usually cook it up themselves. I used to do it myself if they couldn't think of anything, but they'd always change it on me and I'd have to start all over again. So now when a script says "SFX AS APPROPRIATE" or some such, I drop a huge "SFX AS APPROPRIATE" across the panel until they think of something better.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It takes me maybe 1-5 minutes to figure out the shape and color. But for the word itself, the writers or editors usually cook it up themselves. I used to do it myself if they couldn't think of anything, but they'd always change it on me and I'd have to start all over again. So now when a script says "SFX AS APPROPRIATE" or some such, I drop a huge "SFX AS APPROPRIATE" across the panel until they think of something better.

What are your favorite onomatopoeiae?

Habitual Quitter
Jun 26, 2011

What do you mean when you mention a 'unique voice' or 'custom voice'?
What sort of things would be involved in creating a custom voice?

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Do different characters have particular cursive fonts that are supposed to represent their unique handwriting whenever it appears in a comic? And is there any continuity? Like do you go back and look at what cursive font Peter Parker used to write in his Spider-Journal in the 1980's?

I ask because I hate Batman's handwriting. And I always have.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

zoux posted:

What are your favorite onomatopoeiae?

My favorites are the ones that make no effort whatsoever to look like a sound, such as these two from The Incredible Hercules.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
How long between your contributions and the issue hitting the comic book stores? Months? Weeks?

And how much time are you given to letter an individual book?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My favorites are the ones that make no effort whatsoever to look like a sound, such as these two from The Incredible Hercules.

I see you lettered Siege #3, was SOUNDOFREALITYBEINGTORNAPART your idea?

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Habitual Quitter posted:

What do you mean when you mention a 'unique voice' or 'custom voice'?
What sort of things would be involved in creating a custom voice?

Just any time a character speaks in a lettering style that differs from everyone else in the book. Like Venom's white text over black balloons or Deadpool's yellow balloons. They're usually requested by the writer or editor in the script, ex. "Give Lizard a monstery font" or something.

I try to reflect the character's personality and appearance when cooking up a custom voice, like giving a green character a green balloon, or giving an aquatic character a bubbly balloon. With comics being as visual as they are, it's a great way to create atmosphere. Plus it makes a character easy to identify if they're speaking off-panel. But it also adds to the amount of work you have to do later, so I don't do it too often.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

FabioClone posted:

Do different characters have particular cursive fonts that are supposed to represent their unique handwriting whenever it appears in a comic? And is there any continuity? Like do you go back and look at what cursive font Peter Parker used to write in his Spider-Journal in the 1980's?

I ask because I hate Batman's handwriting. And I always have.

Not that I know of. If I can remember a character's handwriting from something else I read, I'll try to copy it, but I haven't heard of anyone keeping track of it. That sounds like a daunting task.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

LordPants posted:

How long between your contributions and the issue hitting the comic book stores? Months? Weeks?

And how much time are you given to letter an individual book?

I send my stuff to press about three weeks before it hits the shelves. Usually I get a week or two to do an issue, but sometimes it's two days or less. Or two months or more. It varies a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

zoux posted:

I see you lettered Siege #3, was SOUNDOFREALITYBEINGTORNAPART your idea?

I wish. That was all Kieron.

• Locked thread