Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Now I'll never get 20 posts in a row...

Apparently Mamo was Moses? What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Hmm, I remember reading this complaint. Fujiko has become oddly helpless.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Mamo done got refleco-lasered. Badass scene.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Whoa, Fujiko and Lupin actually kissed. wtf.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
And the moral of the story is: things work out best when the US just blows the poo poo out of things. An amusing flick, for what it was. I feel spoiled since I've recently watched much better Lupin.

I have now caught up on the movie thread! I am ready for Porco Rosso!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm being lazy again but here's a trailer for Porco Rosso, it's great you should watch it sometime this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awEC-aLDzjs

PR is probably my favourite Ghibli film, though Totoro comes close. The attention to detail is absolutely stunning, water laps and sprays, a loose metal panel on the side of a plane clatters and flaps in the wind. The sequence where Marco recounts his brush with death in the First World War is probably one of the greatest sequences are filmed, animated or otherwise. Miyazaki's films always have a palpable sense of time and place and while the film is really mostly fun and lighthearted, the feeling of regret that the carefree days of playing hero around the Adriatic Sea are ending with the coming storm of fascism and another war pervade the movie.

Since it's a Ghibli film is it obviously liscensed and probably streaming somewhere, if you get chance though you should really watch the vibrant BD version.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Oh, I was just about to ask about this week in the chat thread, but you already posted about it. I'll watch tomorrow. Or wait, I guess this was last week and I forgot for just that long. Oh well, either way, I'll watch Porco Rosso tomorrow.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, I was kind of just leaving this thread to fizzle out tbh

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i would say the new season distracted me, but it's probably just working an extra seven hours a week draining my desire to watch stuff during the week

i'll miss this thread if it goes, but i've got the weekend off and bought porco rosso when you first announced it, so i'm gonna watch it then

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Maybe change this to once a month? I know even just once a week isn't a lot, but with simulcasts and everything else I feel like a monthly pick would be better

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Maybe 2-3 a month with a theme?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
That sounds cool. I've been pretty bad about actually watching the movies in any sort of timely manner but I like having the thread to direct me to stuff I'm going to watch eventually. Having a few a month to watch and talk about maybe will work better than trying to keep up weekly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't mind carrying on and doing a couple a month if people are still interested, I was was just trying to avoid this turning into the dreaded one person simulwatch. :v:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Looks like you + 4 at least, which is worth it in my book.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Okay, I'll leave it at Porco Rosso for at least another week and try and remember to sort the OP out properly at some point today.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
1. Porco Rosso owns, and I am looking forward to seeing impressions from anyone who's coming in fresh.

2. It would be nice to have a list of previous movies at the very end of the OP (unless it already exists somewhere, and I'm just blind). There have been a couple where I've been interested, gotten distracted and then had trouble remembering what it was after the next movie cycles in.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Updated the OP to Porco Rosso and included links to all the previous weeks movie posts.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Catching up time!

Patema Inverted

What a weird and interesting setting! What a gorgeous movie! What a boring villain! Man, that guy dragged down my enjoyment of the plot pretty fiercely but I still really liked the movie as a whole. Age & Patema were sweet, although I would have liked to have more time to get to know them, again, too much villain/plot. That world was really fun to watch even though I have questions about the logistics of what the hell was going on!

Also, one little highlight for me was Patema interrupting the dramatic music when Age is trying to leave for school. A very cute moment!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Since it's October I was thinking about doing either a Yoshiaki Kawajiri double bill or both Vampire Hunter D movies starting next week, only problem with the latter is that I think they've both had very recent re-releases so it might be annoying/expensive for people who prefer to watch stuff legitimate like.

If I do Kawajiri, one of the movies is going to be Wicked City :unsmigghh:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Either of those options sound pretty cool. I already have the Bloodlust dvd and was kinda wanting to get the rereleased original anyway, and haven't watched Wicked City in forever.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

VHD is $12-18 and Bloodlust is $14-23 right now. DVD might even be fine for Bloodlust, since it was apparently made in such a way that remastering didn't improve a whole lot.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm gonna split the difference and do Wicked City and Bloodlust, I don't think the original VHD holds up as anything other than an interesting relic and I really want to see some people's reactions to Wicked City. :v:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm gonna split the difference and do Wicked City and Bloodlust, I don't think the original VHD holds up as anything other than an interesting relic and I really want to see some people's reactions to Wicked City. :v:

yeah, i was a bit reluctant to shoot down a suggestion but VHD doesn't feel like a must-see. really strong style, but i don't remember any stellar sequences in it. haven't finished Wicked City but lol, that first five minutes or so.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Half way through and I don't really know what to think about Lupin III: Secret of Mamo. For context, I've only seen Woman called Mine Fujiko but I know it's pretty different from the rest of the Lupin iterations, and I was totally down for some light hearted capers ...then that helicopter slaughtered all of those people in the cafe :(

It's a weird movie so far, I did really enjoy them using the famous paintings as environment background for an escape scene, that was cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Soo.... that was quite an ending.

What a really strange movie! On the whole I enjoyed it, not every Lupin is going to be the best Lupin but it was still a fun, weird movie! I liked when they got weird with the art :) also, when that guy was a giant brain!

• Locked thread