Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Something I just realized...when this thread was originally started, Marnie was going to be the final film on the Ghibli side of things -- I managed to take so long that three more films, including a new one from Hayao Miyazaki himself, came out.

sean10mm posted:

House! House! House!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3737174&pagenumber=19&perpage=40#post507305301

I did that one in 2020!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The new Miyazaki is getting bad reviews, so it apparently is possible for the man to fail.

e: well, some bad reviews.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Vegetable posted:

The new Miyazaki is getting bad reviews, so it apparently is possible for the man to fail.

e: well, some bad reviews.

My roomies went to a theatrical screening, one (who is a huge Ghibli fan) liked it a lot, 8/9 out of 10 type praise, and her boyfriend enjoyed it but in a much more "yep, that was a film I liked" way

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tomorrow's Leaves Released July 23rd 2021, Directed by Yoshiyuki Momose

Gosh I love the Olympics (Yes, the IOC broadly sucks a whole lot, and what putting on the games tends to do to the host cities sucks too -- I do not /ever/ want to not acknowledge that...but I also really enjoy the idea of the Olympic Games and that's what I'm celebrating here). Bringing together the best of the best from the world over to all join in friendly competition in a whole bunch of events? I love it! So when I learned that Studio Ponoc had done a short film to commemorate the Tokyo 2020 games, I just had to seek it out. And I got really lucky in that its just on YouTube! A novelty for a film review, here's a link to literally just the movie, on the Olympic Channel's YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie_IkQtZyK4

Clocking in at 8 and a half minutes and without a word of spoken dialog, there's not a whole lot to go over here plot-wise, but at its core this is just a fun little tales about coming together, having joy in competition, and collectively making things better than how you found them. The vibes kinda give me a Tiny Toons Super Sentai feel, in that each of the 5 main characters has an elemental affinity, a regionally specific outfit, and some very pointed character design -- "the large strong boy", "the agile runner girl", etc. and each one has a little friendly element spirit accompanying them. Its simple, lighthearted, doesn't outstay its welcome, and honestly the decision to have no dialog was probably a good one.

This really easily could have been a preachy moralistic piece, or a bland corporate commercial, but instead Studio Ponoc went the route of capturing a feel and a vibe and just having some fun with it. I really like just having a nice little smile at something I'm watching. Use the link I provided, give this a watch, its a fun time.

Up Next: probably a movie I guess

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

jivjov posted:

Tomorrow's Leaves Released July 23rd 2021, Directed by Yoshiyuki Momose

Gosh I love the Olympics (Yes, the IOC broadly sucks a whole lot, and what putting on the games tends to do to the host cities sucks too -- I do not /ever/ want to not acknowledge that...but I also really enjoy the idea of the Olympic Games and that's what I'm celebrating here). Bringing together the best of the best from the world over to all join in friendly competition in a whole bunch of events? I love it! So when I learned that Studio Ponoc had done a short film to commemorate the Tokyo 2020 games, I just had to seek it out. And I got really lucky in that its just on YouTube! A novelty for a film review, here's a link to literally just the movie, on the Olympic Channel's YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie_IkQtZyK4

Clocking in at 8 and a half minutes and without a word of spoken dialog, there's not a whole lot to go over here plot-wise, but at its core this is just a fun little tales about coming together, having joy in competition, and collectively making things better than how you found them. The vibes kinda give me a Tiny Toons Super Sentai feel, in that each of the 5 main characters has an elemental affinity, a regionally specific outfit, and some very pointed character design -- "the large strong boy", "the agile runner girl", etc. and each one has a little friendly element spirit accompanying them. Its simple, lighthearted, doesn't outstay its welcome, and honestly the decision to have no dialog was probably a good one.

This really easily could have been a preachy moralistic piece, or a bland corporate commercial, but instead Studio Ponoc went the route of capturing a feel and a vibe and just having some fun with it. I really like just having a nice little smile at something I'm watching. Use the link I provided, give this a watch, its a fun time.

Up Next: probably a movie I guess

Checking in on this thread after kind of bypassing CD for a few years and my sister how have you not watched Kurosawa's (the other Kurosawa) 'Cure'?

Danger fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 26, 2023

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
^sister, plz -- had some gender fuckery since I started this thread lol

But hey, I'll add that to the list!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

jivjov posted:

Something I just realized...when this thread was originally started, Marnie was going to be the final film on the Ghibli side of things -- I managed to take so long that three more films, including a new one from Hayao Miyazaki himself, came out.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3737174&pagenumber=19&perpage=40#post507305301

I did that one in 2020!

I totally forgot about that LOL.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Traumatic breakups suck, but, I have a blu-ray copy of Dreams and no plans this weekend. Movie review imminent.

Anyone seen anything good from Japan lately? Godzilla Minus One whipped rear end, and I've also seen all the Evangelion films

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

jivjov posted:

Traumatic breakups suck, but, I have a blu-ray copy of Dreams and no plans this weekend. Movie review imminent.

Anyone seen anything good from Japan lately? Godzilla Minus One whipped rear end, and I've also seen all the Evangelion films

I really liked the Boy and the Heron.

Also this isn't super recent at this point but I thought Blue Giant was fantastic.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

jivjov posted:

Kore-eda's newest movie Monster was excellent. And a Japanese-German co-production (Wim Wenders directing) Perfect Days was one of the best movies I've seen in years.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dreams Released May 11th 1990, Directed by Akira Kurosawa

What a beautiful piece of film -- I wasn't sure what to except going in to an anthology of shorts based on the actual dreams of a filmmaker, but I loved what I got. I almost felt like an intruder, but clearly not since Kurosawa produced this piece. The "dreamlike" aspect of the piece was evident, but it never felt overdone or on the nose. There is a certain matter-of-factness to the presentation that make me truly believe these are based on real dreams -- dream logic never explains itself, but within the confines of the dream it makes absolute and total sense. The way to put that to film is to just Do It without explanation or concern.

I really feel like I'm struggling to say how I actually feel about this work, but truthfully I love it very much and plan to revisit it.

Up Next: The Red Turtle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Red Turtle Released May 18th 2016, Directed by Michaël Dudok de Wit

I was not expecting a film with virtually no spoken dialog when I was going in. I was briefly concerned, and then the animation swept me away. This was truly gorgeous to watch, the motion was so...thoughtful in a way I truly enjoyed.

I kinda regret trying to commit to deep thoughts on every film, I just thought this was pretty and I liked it.

Up Next: Rhapsody in August