Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

I just started watching this show a month or so ago and I must admit, despite it's flaws, I'm shamelessly addicted. I actually really like the characters and overall plot (more so than the flagship series at this point), but god I wish they'd fix the disjointed style of writing they have and give it a real budget. As much as I like watching it, I can't help but see a lot of wasted potential and don't see it being around much longer if the writers don't get their act together. I feel like it's been steadily improving, but it's still got a ways to go and hopefully it's not too little, too late.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I don't think the show's writers REALIZE they are the bad guys

I think it's pretty obvious the show knows they're bad and are building them up to be villains, but it's too early in the show to depict them as THE villains which is why all the bad guys are depicted as over the top and too-evil-to-function to make the main cast look less bad until later. I think it's yet another case of the writers being given a really cool and interesting concept to work with, but having no idea how to go about it.

Also, Kirkman recently teased links between this show and The Whisperers arc from the comics.

Astroman posted:

The only thing that will suck is if they turn it into a heavy handed US BORDER/TRUMP analogy.

I read somewhere that they are introducing a new villain next season who is currently in Mexico and that these guys are trying to keep her out. If true, chances are the ambush was a case of mistaken identity and would also make more sense of why Luciana was hit instead of Nick, despite him being way closer to their line of fire (I was attributing it to bad writing before and it might still be).

Blazing Ownager posted:

I have a thick skin about this stuff and even I find it hilarious Fear is coming off as so accidentally racist, with it's "white guy comes down the town and shows all the poor Mexican people the way,"
(...)and the next minute they turn them into a stupid lynch mob just to get a character's attention
I don't really see this as a "White Savior Complex" thing. It would be different if he just showed up and improved their lives and saved them from the cartel, but that's not what happened. The sole reason they even had a problem with the cartel in the first place is because he pissed them off by trying to steal from them. That's literally the origin point for the cartel vs La Colonia drama. He spent the rest of his time at La Colonia trying to make it up to them.

The mob part at the hotel was pretty justifiable too because they thought the two white dudes were getting special attention from the also white family. They stopped being a mob when they realized the dudes were just getting exiled.

I'd been waiting for someone to make that. Thank you.

Anyway, I'm gonna miss this show so much when it gets canceled halfway through next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Acacia REI posted:

The sole reason they even had a problem with the cartel in the first place is because he pissed them off by trying to steal from them. That's literally the origin point for the cartel vs La Colonia drama.

How the gently caress are we watching the same show?

Are people really this dense? :downsgun:

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Johnny Truant posted:

What are you talking about? La Colonia and The Cartel didn't have any problems with each other before Nick showed up.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Dinosaur Gum
They weren't exactly on good terms and why would a cartel in a post apocalyptic world respect borders? They decided to go there when they found out where it was, not because Nick stole a marshmallow snack

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Acacia REI posted:

What are you talking about? La Colonia and The Cartel didn't have any problems with each other before Nick showed up.

They were in an uneasy truce. Colonia has medicine, Cartel has supplies and doesn't know where Colonia is. Try watching the show, you might enjoy it.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Johnny Truant posted:

:cripes:

Enderzero posted:

They were in an uneasy truce. Colonia has medicine, Cartel has supplies and doesn't know where Colonia is. Try watching the show, you might enjoy it.

I think that was their point, that Nick pissed them off, they obviously watched the show they just had a different opinion and wanted to discuss it, which is what this thread is for. There's no need to be a dick to someone when they haven't acted like one themselves yet.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

moist turtleneck posted:

They weren't exactly on good terms and why would a cartel in a post apocalyptic world respect borders? They decided to go there when they found out where it was, not because Nick stole a marshmallow snack

Fair enough. I just didn't think they were very high on the cartel's radar before Nick pissed them off and felt like he had to make it up to Alejandro and Luciana by making more drugs for them.

Enderzero posted:

I actually do enjoy the show. I may have just misinterpreted what was going on there.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
When Nick stole that candybar and messed up the relations, the girl (god I am bad with names on this show) should have killed him herself. Best way to make it right, and this idiot who she had already left for dead once, had just threatened a relationship La Colonia required to survive.

But he managed to outwit the dumb cartel who knew less about drugs than he did. Despite that, well you know, being their thing. Also, despite being Nick and Madison being fuckups, the locals deferred almost all decision making to the white people who showed up out of nowhere.

It is like the writers think these are deep characters, when you can see their strings. Good TV hides the strings moving their puppets. Here, they managed to tangle them up and are now just flailing their arms, as puppets go flying everywhere.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
It looks like Nick's brilliant plan may have just gotten most of the people of the colonia killed though.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Luvcow posted:

It looks like Nick's brilliant plan may have just gotten most of the people of the colonia killed though.

It's not so much "White Man Savior" thing, as that in the show Mexicans did not even stop once to think that maybe these outsider white people are not qualified to lead.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

JossiRossi posted:

It's not so much "White Man Savior" thing, as that in the show Mexicans did not even stop once to think that maybe these outsider white people are not qualified to lead.

No i agree with you on that criticism, it's just funny how they keep inadvertently destroying everywhere they go and I really hope that's a conscious decision the writers have made because it gives a certain dark truth to the whole "White Man Savior" thing.

edit: Also seems funny to me that just like 24 and Jack Bauer was pretty clearly torture propaganda, the two Dead shows (and most post apocalypse stories) seem to imply that your best bet in life is to be selfish and screw over whoever you can whenever you can.

Luvcow fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 11, 2016

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Luvcow posted:

I really hope that's a conscious decision the writers have made because it gives a certain dark truth to the whole "White Man Savior" thing.

I'm almost positive that's the case. The writing in the show kind of seems to keep pointing it out: There was that Jack kid from Connor's crew trying to convince Alicia to stay with him saying something along the lines of her family being garbage for what they did Alex (which was a little ironic considering his crew was going around murdering people for their boats), then Nick refusing to go with Madison after what happened at Celia's ranch literally telling her to her face "We ruin EVERYTHING," Madison's "I'm worse" conversation with Travis after they reunited at the hotel, and now even Alicia is a murderer (though she was defending Travis).

I kind of think this show is meant to be the inverse of The Walking Dead. Instead of a ragtag group of survivors bonding and becoming an inseparable family, FTWD is about an actual family that can't keep their poo poo together. Both shows have a history of leaving ruined settlements in their wake, but Rick's crew usually at least had good intentions whereas the Clarke-Manawa family ruin everything by being selfish and impulsive.

This is just my interpretation though at this point. I could be completely wrong. But if I'm right, I think it will be a really good contrast to the main series. I'm looking forward to it if the writers can pull it off.

Acacia REI fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 12, 2016

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Acacia REI posted:

I'm almost positive that's the case. The writing in the show kind of seems to keep pointing it out: There was that Jack kid from Connor's crew trying to convince Alicia to stay with him saying something along the lines of her family being garbage for what they did Alex (which was a little ironic considering his crew was going around murdering people for their boats), then Nick refusing to go with Madison after what happened at Celia's ranch literally telling her to her face "We ruin EVERYTHING," Madison's "I'm worse" conversation with Travis after they reunited at the hotel, and now even Alicia is a murderer.

I kind of think this show is meant to be the inverse of The Walking Dead. Instead of a ragtag group of survivors bonding and becoming an inseparable family, FTWD is about an actual family that can't keep their poo poo together. Both shows have a history of leaving ruined settlements in their wake, but Rick's crew usually at least had good intentions whereas the Clarke-Manawa family ruin everything by being selfish and impulsive.

This is just my interpretation though at this point. I could be completely wrong. But if I'm right, I think it will be a really good contrast to the main series. I'm looking forward to it if the writers can pull it off.

The problem is the writers haven't been good enough to really make it clear what they think of the family. Better writers would basically have made it like Breaking Bad where it tricks you into liking a character who is unequivocally a villain. If they just go full on, "Ok these are the bad guys" I would love the hell out of this show and make all this hate watching worth it.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

JossiRossi posted:

The problem is the writers haven't been good enough to really make it clear what they think of the family. Better writers would basically have made it like Breaking Bad where it tricks you into liking a character who is unequivocally a villain. If they just go full on, "Ok these are the bad guys" I would love the hell out of this show and make all this hate watching worth it.

Oh, most definitely. I actually really do like FTWD but even I'll admit the show's writing has some gaping flaws and I can understand why others might not like it. But I also feel like it's been improving and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the writers will have a better grip on it by S3.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Acacia REI posted:

Oh, most definitely. I actually really do like FTWD but even I'll admit the show's writing has some gaping flaws and I can understand why others might not like it. But I also feel like it's been improving and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the writers will have a better grip on it by S3.

I enjoy the show despite it's flaws

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Luvcow posted:

I enjoy the show despite it's flaws

Me too.

TBH the family in this show is eerily analogous to my own family when I was growing up hahaha (for better or worse).

I just really, really don't want it to get canceled but I'm afraid that's what's going to happen if they don't do something about said flaws soon. :(

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Acacia REI posted:

Me too.

TBH the family in this show is eerily analogous to my own family when I was growing up hahaha (for better or worse).

I just really, really don't want it to get canceled but I'm afraid that's what's going to happen if they don't do something about said flaws soon. :(

I didn't think it would get a second season and i always assumed they'd just end it and spin off one or two characters into the original show but i do like how it's on the opposite coast and the fact they figured in a different culture (for better or for worse as it's ended up). I've really liked certain parts of it and I'm a huge Strand fan but i was kinda confused that they just dropped the whole commercial episodic/plane people from the plot line though i guess the woman is technically still alive.

While i don't understand the whole "hate watch" thing i do like reading the insight of the people itt who hate watch this show

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Luvcow posted:

I didn't think it would get a second season and i always assumed they'd just end it and spin off one or two characters into the original show but i do like how it's on the opposite coast and the fact they figured in a different culture (for better or for worse as it's ended up). I've really liked certain parts of it and I'm a huge Strand fan but i was kinda confused that they just dropped the whole commercial episodic/plane people from the plot line though i guess the woman is technically still alive.

While i don't understand the whole "hate watch" thing i do like reading the insight of the people itt who hate watch this show

I'm kind of hoping the viewer-bleeding will trail off and level out in S3. It still has 4.1 million viewers so even if it did lose a few more viewers next season, 3+ million is still good enough to keep it on the air as long as the downtrend doesn't continue. But yeah Strand and Nick are two of my favorite characters in the franchise. Nick's like an exact cross between my sister and best friend and Strand was just interesting as hell until they stopped developing his character in the second half of season 2. I'm sure he'll pick back up in S3 though. And I also like that they went to a different country too (though I'm also really excited that they seem to be moving into San Diego since I'm currently living in SD county). And hey, even though they've watered down the blood-camo significantly, I'm glad they're actually using it in this show. I always thought it was dumb that they introduced it in the second episode of the main series and then didn't use it again for like 5 seasons. As for the airplane/mini series, I'm guessing they originally had bigger plans for Alex, but then her actress got pregnant. I know it didn't stop Tara's actress from the main series but it's also not uncommon for actresses to drop out of shows during pregnancy.

As for the hate-watching, it doesn't really bother me. They're helping to keep the show on the air haha. And yeah I also kind of love reading their responses. Not gonna lie, I made a whole new account (originally made one in '07 that I barely used that was eventually deactivated for inactivity) mostly for the purposes of keeping up with and posting in the TWD S7 thread and a few other TVIV threads (including this one).

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Acacia REI posted:

I'm kind of hoping the viewer-bleeding will trail off and level out in S3. It still has 4.1 million viewers so even if it did lose a few more viewers next season, 3+ million is still good enough to keep it on the air as long as the downtrend doesn't continue. But yeah Strand and Nick are two of my favorite characters in the franchise. Nick's like an exact cross between my sister and best friend and Strand was just interesting as hell until they stopped developing his character in the second half of season 2. I'm sure he'll pick back up in S3 though. And I also like that they went to a different country too (though I'm also really excited that they seem to be moving into San Diego since I'm currently living in SD county). And hey, even though they've watered down the blood-camo significantly, I'm glad they're actually using it in this show. I always thought it was dumb that they introduced it in the second episode of the main series and then didn't use it again for like 5 seasons. As for the airplane/mini series, I'm guessing they originally had bigger plans for Alex, but then her actress got pregnant. I know it didn't stop Tara's actress from the main series but it's also not uncommon for actresses to drop out of shows during pregnancy.

As for the hate-watching, it doesn't really bother me. They're helping to keep the show on the air haha. And yeah I also kind of love reading their responses. Not gonna lie, I made a whole new account (originally made one in '07 that I barely used that was eventually deactivated for inactivity) mostly for the purposes of keeping up with and posting in the TWD S7 thread and a few other TVIV threads (including this one).

Glad you came back.

If you ever get plat and PMs I have an av cert you can have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Luvcow posted:

Glad you came back.

If you ever get plat and PMs I have an av cert you can have

Sweet, and thanks! I'm actually planning on it on my next paycheck.

• Locked thread