Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jastiger posted:

Boardwalk and the yellow ones are the killers. It doesn't matter though once the game gets going.

Plus you always have the rear end in a top hat with hotels on Baltic and they are all "pay up " and you're like oh no, not .0005% of my net worth, here is a few hundred bucks. Don't spend it alll in one place.

i don't know what it is, but those properties seem to be landed on much more frequently than the higher value ones. i always try to develop the cheap properties, you can put up slum hotels for a fraction of the price, and bleed everyone dry by a thousand cuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

When I was 8 I got sent to my room for calling my dad a slumlord during a game of Monopoly.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Chilling in jail for the blood bath in the later rolls is a pro strategy.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

raditts posted:

I've played that way before, and the "idiot sap" dragged the game down because he was checking the instructions every 5 minutes to see if something or other was "allowed" by the "rules"

it's like, motherfucker this is monopoly, the only rule is there is no rules

And the dog is the best because you can stand him up on his front legs and make it look like he's pissing on everything

Why would anyone else playing let Boardwalk go for a dollar

...you play Monopoly alone, don't you

This totally triggered a monopoly memory of a girl on my floor freshman year of college who always had a monopoly board set up on her dorm room floor. She'd play against herself for weeks on end it was loving weird

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Crusty Nutsack posted:

This totally triggered a monopoly memory of a girl on my floor freshman year of college who always had a monopoly board set up on her dorm room floor. She'd play against herself for weeks on end it was loving weird

got her number bro?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

I have never played a game of Monopoly without cheating.

I steal from the bank, other players, I don't care. It's amazing how trusting some people are.

I watched those suckers like a hawk.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Why isnt there a Goonopoly boardgame yet?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Kitty probation button for jail, disgusted lowtax mugshot for the "go to jail" corner. Toilet lord picture for the water works. GO will be "Spend the weekend at home on the PC". Tax spots will be "Got mad and bought someone a different avatar."

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
So I went to the IOWA STATE FAIR and they had the super awesome buttercow.
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/pi...-fair/31490277/

LoL if your scrub state doesn't have one.

But then as I looked further this year the theme was Monopoly. loving Monopoly. I've never met anyone that actually ENJOYED the game. You get about 3 quarters of the way through and then its just a boring grind while you wait for someone to land on boardwalk and lose.

Furthermore, it was designed to show what is WRONG with capitalism, and everyone agrees that it sucks to be at the mercy of the dice, it isn't fair to people that don't want to stay on the locations, and its generally a gently caress you to someone unlucky enough to take a ride on the railroad.

So everyone agrees it sucks, the worst aspects of it are the capitalistic ones, and here we are celebrating it.

In this thread we're going to talk about our favorite (worst) monopoly stories!

Growing up I would always be the banker and I'd always stash an extra like $2000 under the board. I wouldn't use it to cheat unless I landed on boardwalk, in which case I"d buy up all the hotels so the game would end early. If someone else landed on it and I ever had to do a transaction with them, I'd try to slip them extra money so THEY could buy hotels so we could end the game earlier. Lol Monopoly.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Ludo/Go!/Sorry! is a much worse game than Monopoly. But it is bad.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Wicker Man posted:

Chilling in jail for the blood bath in the later rolls is a pro strategy.

Yeah but then you get into a fight with everyone about how you can't collect rent in jail even after you show them in the rules you can and they decide to houserule it so you don't get poo poo. The whole point is that the landed gentry is beyond the feeble reach of the laws of men, but gently caress it, Mikey's drunk and he'll be damned if he's paying a cent to stay in a jailbird's hotel. While we're at it put a 500 on Free Parking, that convict can't stop us.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I'm almost positive we had a Monopoly thread years ago where someone was working on an online one.

But you know how things go with Goon Projects.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jBrereton posted:

Ludo/Go!/Sorry! is a much worse game than Monopoly. But it is bad.

GO is an awesome game, don't lump it in with Sorry! geez :colbert:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

i'm sorry but this is the only acceptable Monopoly to play:

Man Talisman's latest edition got weird

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Monopoly is fun when you're playing with people who are bad at it, then you can trade for the good properties and win like every time

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
monop' is cool i'm into the modding scene

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

Monopoly is only boring because 95% of people who play it suck at the game and use retarded house rules.
This. Everyone plays with no real plan on what or why they are buying things, they ignore the auctions, and they have dumb rules for someone getting a giant influx of cash based on pure luck, and then they wonder why it turns into a pointless grind at the end.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
:agreed: You have to play it by the rules and actually hurt each others feelings, or the game will go on forever.

Hey, you can always play again and again and again and guess what? Someone else wins the next time.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The reason why the Thimble is the best piece is because you can never get a good grip on it, so in the middle of the game you can "accidentally" drop it and "forget" the count and place it on the luxury tax instead of boardwalk.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Lol if you have to count around a Monopoly board, its a bunch of 10s with railroads at the fives. You should be able to visually count out 2-12 spaces on such a board at a glance if you've passed elementary school

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Boardwalk isn't even the best property

It's Illinois avenue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MrChupon posted:

Lol if you have to count around a Monopoly board, its a bunch of 10s with railroads at the fives. You should be able to visually count out 2-12 spaces on such a board at a glance if you've passed elementary school

wow look at mr. bigshot intennigence here, all high and mighty 'cause he's got his grade six!

• Locked thread