Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

o yeah...we'll be watching The Bird People in China today ppl. have fun!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i watched the film. overall it was pretty funny and once they got out of the industrialised part of china filled with beautiful landscapes, but i felt like the ending wasn't great. it felt rushed.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

My. Wada Welcame

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Movie #3: All About Lily Chou-Chou (2001)

A film about the lives of two troubled young boys and the effect the music of lily chou-chou has on them

trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDr1scwNC78
discussion starts here

Budget Prefuse fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 13, 2015

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

hell ya

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i haven't watched bird people in china yet (sorry) but i will before sunday and i will hopefully have things to say about it

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Yessss. I love Lily Chou-Chou

also I hope people actually watch it unlike last week

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

did anyone besides me and probably bfc even watch it?

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Even the turtles have abandoned us.

Seriously though those turtles were fashionable as gently caress RIP

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Davincie posted:

I wanted to but the trailer wasn't that interesting to me but I'll watch it this week anyway + the new one.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

everyone who watches lily chou chou should keep eva 24 and rebuild 3 in mind while watching it for a better depth of understanding. also shunji iwai and hideaki anno are friends irl. thats cool

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Davincie posted:

I did but I was too lazy to make a big post about it... Sorry. Cool movie though.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

movie time!!!

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Man I love the opening to this film. What a beautiful shot, and the music is fantastic. It feels very lonely, but the chatroom stuff gives Yuichi some sort of solace. Growing up where the only people who understand you are freaks on the internet who share your weird obsession :( I kind of want to go and listen to sad music on my own in a rice paddy at least once

I've seen this movie quite a few times so I might just sort of comment along a bit as I watch it

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Japanese bullies are the meanest bullies

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Paperhouse posted:

Japanese bullies are the meanest bullies
theres so many incredibly cruel bullies in japanese media. it's crazy

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i didn't like the movie sorry, it was too unpleasant so i turned it off halfway

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

oh ya i watched both of these. the bird people in china was good it put me in the same mindset as like fitzcarraldo or something similar. really beautiful and lyrical but you can see shades of miikes weirdness poking through. i was only really familiar with his more notorious movies before watching it but its good to know he has breadth to match his depth

lily chou chou was just as harrowing as remember it being from high school tho, if not gaining more resonance the further away i've gotten from my teen years. raw stuff really aided by the digital cinematography like a dogme movie. i dont think it has anything particularly new or unique to say about the teen experience that hasnt already been said by lots of other tv shows/movies but rather its in the way that it communicates these things and the brunt of its emotional thrust is in how real it feels. its a good one to watch if you like being emotionally devastated and makes a nice contrast with linda linda linda

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 11, 2015

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
If you haven't done so already, watch Ame Agaru, it's the least weeabooey of the "wandering ronin" type movies.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181960/

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

im just gonna post the new movie every saturday/sunday and give everyone the whole week to watch it. its not like we're doing a simulwatch anyways. movie coming in the next post...*drum roll*

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Movie #4: Why don't you play in hell? (2013)

Probably the greatest movie ever made, Why don't you play in hell???? (why tho) focuses on a dorky film crew (THE gently caress BOMBERS), a yakuza family, a runaway girl and a completely normal guy that has nothing to do with the events in the film all coming together to make an extremely bloody feature film for the wife of the yakuza boss. Also features a kid that dresses up like bruce lee and a song about toothpaste. Definitely Sion Sono's funniest movie.

trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-wHR4VNf84

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

saw it in the theater :cheers:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I watched Bird People and I liked it a lot. The yakuza guy in old age was incredibly cool. I've been holding off on the one after it because it sounds like a downer and I've had a crappy week. I will definitely watch Why Don't You Play In Hell.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

prefuse can you add flowers of shanghai to the list. thanks

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Done

DisDisDis posted:

I watched Bird People and I liked it a lot. The yakuza guy in old age was incredibly cool. I've been holding off on the one after it because it sounds like a downer and I've had a crappy week. I will definitely watch Why Don't You Play In Hell.
lily chou chou definitely isnt the movie to watch if you want to feel good

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ah, add Tokyo! to people can see the chair short

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

the film club is taking a break this week so more people have time to watch the movie and because i'll be at a japanese film festival next week and wont have time to watch anything else.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i've watched it before and it's probably the best movie about making movies that isn't 8 1/2 but i'm gonna watch it again

sion sonowns

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i just finished watching "Why Don't You Play in Hell?" this evening and it was the first movie by that director that i have ever seen and i am not really sure what to say. it was pretty funny at parts, and it was definitely a well directed movie. one of my favorite scenes was when Mitsuko walked in the house when it was full of blood, and i also liked the scene where Boss Muto was asking Koji how much money he needed for the film, and the scene on the beach where Hirata imagined them all training and him writing the screenplay. it was crazy and i liked it.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

you should watch love exposure immediately. or whenever prefuse selects it for this thread. its one of the best and most ambitious and audacious movies of the 21st century so far. i also like noriko's dinner table and cold fish. sono is good but he has sort of gone full miike this year and i havent kept up

ill probably watch this tomorrow

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Budget Prefuse posted:

o yeah...we'll be watching The Bird People in China today ppl. have fun!!

Finally watched this, it was a cool movie. the gangster character is probably the most interesting. the pacing seems a little weird because they want to surprise you with the village, and its not immediately apparent how anyone feels about any of that. Really the characters don't do a whole lot of the storytelling at all. Really well shot, the story has plenty to hook you, i wonder if the book doesn't pace itself better.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Does middle-east count as Asian? Watched "A Pig in Gaza" today.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Does middle-east count as Asian? Watched "A Pig in Gaza" today.

I watched Night and Fog in Japan, which is Japanese, and I forgot about this thread. Now that im actually watching movies again instead of using all of my free time to play metal gear, I will catch up on the thread this week.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

:zombie: next movie comin up

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

~Spooky Movie Month :zombie: :spooky:~

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I watched Sweet Home and it was not very spooky

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

:spooky:SPOOKY MOVIE NUMBER 1:spooky:
Movie #5: Occult (2009)

turn off da lightz for this one...Occult is a horror about the little things in life that unsettle you. A man decides to make a documentary about a mass murder that occurred at a resort and finds himself tangled up in disturbing "miracles", leeches and something calling itself God. Instead of going for straight up visceral horror Occult takes it's time disturbing you. It's easy to tell something is off and everything is spiraling towards the worst possible conclusion but you don't know exactly what is going on until the extremely disturbing and hilarious (yes, hilarious) climax.

trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uStog-vuXNw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

spooky film...

• Locked thread