Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Problem description: In Windows, the computer will freeze or suddenly reboot. If it abruptly reboots, it then emits a long beep on POST. When this happens, I just power down for a minute and then it starts up fine. In Linux, it just freezes -- I don't specifically recall any reboots. The reboots happen inconsistently. I played PoE in Windows for three days this weekend without an issue. However, it randomly rebooted on Monday and Tuesday evening after only ~30 minutes of use.

Attempted fixes: I have run memtest86+, mprime, and SMART tested the HDD. I don't think reliable power is an issue since I have had my HTPC running without issue.

Recent changes: I not so recently (June) installed Windows 10.

Operating system: Windows 10 Fast-track, and Arch Linux.

System specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-DS3L
CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E8500
Memory: 8GB Corsair 800 MHz
Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Power Supply: Antec something or other
Hard drive: Samsung SpinPoint F3 500 GB.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Tried, but I don't have enough of a direction to help narrow the search.

accipter fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Which of the following match the POST beep you hear?

The Manual posted:

Q: What do the beeps emitted during the POST mean?
A: The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify possible computer problems.
(For reference only.)
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
When it rebooted on Tuesday, I could have swore it was just one long beep, which doesn't match the POST codes. However, at the end of the beep there could have been a little break, which would have been a memory or motherboard error. This is why I decided to try memtest86+. After I created the post, I booted up Windows and it promptly rebooted to a black screen with repeated (10 seconds apart) short beeps, which would indicate an issue with the power.

I have another power supply that I might test out.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

How old is the PSU?

Check CPU temperature using: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/Real_Temp/

HD is probably okay but you can run the portable zip edition of CDI to check HD health:
http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
The PSU was about 5 years old. I swapped it out this weekend for a new one, and the issues appear to be resolved.

• Locked thread