Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Problem description: While playing Heroes of the Storm (Blizzard Entertainment), I will get Blue Screens every so often (two in the past week). Also after installing a brand new power supply, after restarting my computer, I will sometimes not boot past Bios Screen. When I run Bios, it will tell me it is trying to auto detect the sata2 cable, and stick on that.

Attempted fixes: I do not know computers very well, and so up till now I haven't really done anything besides run Avasts Registry Cleaner and Windows Defrag.

Recent changes: I haven't updated anything except for my Power Supply, which was 5 years old and thanks to goons, originally solved a problem with my computer not starting.

--

Operating system:Windows 7 Ultimate

System specs:
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name STRIKER1-PC
System Manufacturer MSI
System Model MS-7390
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor, 2511 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. V1.1, 3/26/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name Marshall_Banana\MB1
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 593 MB
Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.99 GB
Page File Space 4.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Please post a screenshot of the Crystal Disk Info (standard edition ZIP) window for your system drive.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Right, I shoulda remembered that from the last time you helped me.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
No indication drives are the issue, I'd suggest verifying the system can complete a few passes of Memtest86+ without issue.

Do you have plans to replace this computer any time soon? At 7 years it's getting to the end of its usable lifespan, and it could just be the motherboard dying.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005
If you haven't already, you might take a look at the motherboard and see if any of the capacitors have domed tops instead of the flat tops they are supposed to have.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

I don't see anything domed on the capacitors.

Where is the memtest download exactly?

Is it the one labeled Pre-compiled bootable ISO?

I should get around to replacing the whole computer by next year, it is 5 years old now.

The other thing that I should mention is that the inside has some dust caked on the extentions that are the hookups to the back of the computer. Would this have anything to do with it? I really need to clean that up as well.

Seebach fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 22, 2015

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Try another SATA cable and/or SATA port if possible.

Seebach posted:

Where is the memtest download exactly?

Is it the one labeled Pre-compiled bootable ISO?

Yea, you'd put it onto a CD/DVD.
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Seebach posted:

The other thing that I should mention is that the inside has some dust caked on the extentions that are the hookups to the back of the computer. Would this have anything to do with it? I really need to clean that up as well.

Possibly. Use canned air to remove all the dust.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Zogo posted:

Try another SATA cable and/or SATA port if possible.

Yea, you'd put it onto a CD/DVD.
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Possibly. Use canned air to remove all the dust.

Just to be clear, the Sata cables are the ones that I plug into the harddrives that I have, correct? I just got brand new ones that connect from my power supply. they wide mouth ones. I did not replace the other wires that are connected to my main SSD harddrive though, so I'll see about replacing that.

When I got my SSD, I lost a bunch of my old discs that came with my computer, of which I lost my software program for writing things to disks. Do you have a recommended software program that I should buy/download?

Canned Air is now on my list of things to get tomorrow, I will spray it out. Ty.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
The Memtest86+ website has a program to put the software on a USB flash drive (it will erase the drive in the process), here's the direct link. Connect your USB drive, run that program as Administrator, select the drive, it will write the software to it. Reboot with the drive connected, usually you tap the F8 key during the POST process (white text on the screen) and it will pop up a menu for you to select which drive to boot from, and you select the USB drive you just made. It will run a number of tests, completing a full set of tests counts as a "pass". Errors are listed as lines with a red background, like this.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

I'll get me a flash drive to do this.

Another new thing, but I usually leave my computer on when I'm out for a little while and seldom turn it off now unless I feel the need to.

I came home from work just now and this message was on screen when I turned my computer on

Sorry to keep bringing up new problems before addressing the current ones.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Seebach posted:

Just to be clear, the Sata cables are the ones that I plug into the harddrives that I have, correct?

They connect from the HDs to the motherboard itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Zogo posted:

They connect from the HDs to the motherboard itself.

Tyty, yes I did not replace those, and I think some of them are hand me downs from another of my cousins computers.

I'll order some new ones.

• Locked thread