Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suzuran
Sep 14, 2012
Yesterday, my cat Bob had a stroke while he was asleep on my bed. He was at least 15 years old. We're not sure of his real age. The vet said he probably never knew what hit him, and his last memory was probably laying down to sleep. It was a small comfort that he probably didn't suffer.

He had a rough life in the beginning; He was born to a stray cat kept by the occupants of a meth lab. These "people" used the litter of kittens as live bait to train their pit bulls to kill. Bob and his brother Tom were the only survivors. Bob had brain damage from being shaken by one of the dogs, so the druggies named him Retard. They used him to put out cigarettes and tortured him for fun.

Eventually the druggies were tipped off that a raid was coming down, so they evacuated. They took the dogs and the meth cooking equipment, locked up the house with the cats inside, and left. They never came back. For six months the cats lived with the chemicals and waste, eating the mice that infested the place. Bob's brain damage and mobility problems would have limited his ability to catch mice, so we think his brother did most of the hunting.

I found him when a friend asked me to help recover rental property believed to be inside the house. We got permission to break the lock on the back door and went in. Bob was found lying on his side in the kitchen, seemingly dead. I pushed him with my foot to determine if he was stiff or not, and he took a breath. I didn't know then, but I had a new cat. His brother had fared somewhat better, and he tried to fight me the whole way back to the truck. That didn't matter though, I wasn't going to leave them there.

It took some time for the physical scars to heal. The mental scars took a little longer, but after that Bob was a new cat. His brain damage meant he tended toward only turning left or running in (mostly) straight lines, so we nicknamed him the NASCAT. He loved everyone and everything, always coming to meet whatever new people or pets showed up at the house. Nothing seemed to faze him for more than a few minutes. Whenever I moved or got a new roommate, Bob always adapted first. He always made sure the humans were awake at the same times in the morning and did his best to catch whatever critters happened to make it inside. I have no doubt that inside his own mind he was perfectly normal and he was doing his best to help.

He never slowed down as the years went on. Lots of cats his age have arthritis or similar afflictions and slowly fade, but Bob was running as hard as he could right up to the end. He had a couple "events" before the big one that clued us in that the end was near, but other than that he was as happy and healthy as always when he lie down for that last sleep.

It's only been a few hours, and I miss him already. I'm probably gonna miss him for a long time. I still wouldn't trade even a minute of it for anything. Bob was awesome and it was a privilege to have him with me for all those years. My friends and I joked that he was the master of his own world inside his head, reigning like some medieval king.

He now Bobinates the great beyond.

So here's to Bob Cat, my friend and companion through a lot of crap. He never gave up on either me or himself and did his best all the way to the end. May he forever have legs to rub against and may his turns be always left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm sorry for your loss, Suzuran. You are a wonderful person for rescuing Bob and giving him a life he would never have had otherwise. He was clearly a fantastic cat that loved you very, very much.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Oh no, I'm so sorry about your loss. A lot of people wouldn't go above and beyond like you did and it sounds like you got an awesome loving cat out of the deal :unsmith: He lived a pretty long life and the time with you sounded like it was drat good.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Suzuran posted:

He had a rough life in the beginning; He was born to a stray cat kept by the occupants of a meth lab. These "people" used the litter of kittens as live bait to train their pit bulls to kill. Bob and his brother Tom were the only survivors. Bob had brain damage from being shaken by one of the dogs, so the druggies named him Retard. They used him to put out cigarettes and tortured him for fun.

Do you know if they ever caught these assholes? I hope they died in a drug deal gone wrong and are rotting in hell with the devil's pitch fork in their asses.

Sorry to hear about your cat.

Suzuran
Sep 14, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

Do you know if they ever caught these assholes? I hope they died in a drug deal gone wrong and are rotting in hell with the devil's pitch fork in their asses.

I wish I could say they got what they had coming, but I never heard what became of them after they bailed out. I only met them a couple times and never dealt with them directly, it was my friend who had dealings with them. He was more interested in getting his rental poo poo back so he didn't have to pay for it. (Needless to say, it was all gone and he had to pay through the nose)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

RIP Bob Cat :( he sounds like the best cat, I bet he's catching mice who can only run left and telling everyone all about you in kitty Valhalla

• Locked thread