Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrNekomata
Apr 1, 2012

The voice in my head has an accent, Let's Play 'The Stanley Parable'

Hello you wonderful people out there in Internetland! I saw a request that one desired an LP of this oddity of a game. So, shucks... Why not?

About
Was built on the source engine as a mod and released in July 2011. Before being remade and put out on steam in December 2013. Other than being a choose your own adventure game, it was the rich voice of the narrator of the game that capture the hearts of the fans. That being a British actor named Kevan Brighting. Somehow the description doesn't do it justice, do it? It's better to just bask in the strangeness that is this game.

Also, a neat fact. User Tin Tim has notified me that forum goer Mr. Sunabouzu was involved in the making of this game. Wouldn't surprise me after seeing the work done in Elevator source.

Rules
Let's try not go deeply into the realm of spoiler heavy territory for those who are truly interested in this game.

Aim
Showing off every single ending and other neat things. If you can get a 100 % with something visual novel-ques like this.

Episodes
(A small hiccup with the intro.:( I've tried to fix it, just that typing scene is the only thing that seems to mess up. So here is a link to another intro without the bug.

Question
Okay goons this is posed to you. There is about fourteen more endings to go and choices need to be made.
Shall the next few runs though, shall they be aimed at the disruptive to the narrator endings or follow like a good little puppy ones?

Thread challenge!
For all those thread watchers would like to join in on the fun that is "The Stanley Parable". There is a bit of interactivity with something coming up.
If the answer was yes, feel free to record this line. "My goodness, is it 430? I'm suppose to be having a 'back, sack and crack.'"
Upload it to something like tindeck or soundcloud and PM the link.

MrNekomata fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNekomata
Apr 1, 2012
Vertdict
Go against the narrator tooth and claw.

So, two endings are included in this video. There will be annotation for you to choose.

Episodes

MrNekomata fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 23, 2015

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
This is the nice thing about a Stanley Parable LP. Unless you're a masochistic type of player, or have some form of walkthrough and patience, there's going to be something new to see! Although obviously, there are limits. So why don't we explore some of the other options present? How does that sound?

This is a Narratorish way of saying that I look forward to this. :allears: . Also, Fight The Power! We must take control of our destiny!

Even though that may prove futile in 99.999999999% of situations.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I've considered, in the past, how best to do a Stanley Parable LP. I thought, "What would happen if it was done as a normal go-to-choice and hold a vote LP? Why, the videos would be very short." So next I thought, "What about streaming? Assuming you get an audience in the first place, how would you handle choices? It's not always so simple as 'A or B'. What about the choices that aren't obvious they even exist, like jumping out the window? Do you just stand in the room, tell your audience 'There is a choice here' and wait for them to figure it out or vote to move on?" Then a LP showed up on these very forums. The player ran straight through the path of obedience in one video, thanked everyone for following the LP, and then it was done. On seeing it, I figured "This is about the only way I could see a SA-style LP doing the game any justice1."

As is, with what you've got here, you're not particularly acting as a player. Even asking the viewers for what direction it should go, you've already shown off two of the less obvious actions you can take. No, in this LP you're another Narrator, above the others and above Stanley. A general course being set before heading off might be a decent compromise between my mentioned choice-to-choice and streaming styles, but that just removes more choice from the viewers, which is rather important in a game all about examining freedom and illusion of choice.

But don't let me discourage you. I've decided for myself that a full LP of this game would not be worth pulling off when the player, and quite likely their audience, already know all parts of it. It's up to you to see if you can change my mind. With that thought, let's set a course for following the words of the Narrator, to offset the LP being in the hands of another above it.

1That is, as opposed to a Youtube-style blind LP, which can be a wonderful way of observing somebody discovering all of the pieces and making decisions for themselves. If only it weren't for the Youtuber part of it...

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Follow the narrator, because I think one of the other endings doesn't provide the full effect unless you've explored this path first.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Let's follow the narrator for now.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I'll say follow the narrator, and do all the wacky stuff later. That seems like it would be the most normal thing to do for now, so I can set that as my baseline for how wacky I've heard this game gets.

MrNekomata
Apr 1, 2012
Verdict
Follow the narrator. Are you not glad you did?

In which there are more buttons, power point slides and visit to a broom closet.

MrNekomata fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 25, 2015

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

MrNekomata posted:

Verdict
Follow the narrator. Are you not glad you did?

In which there are more buttons, power point slides and visit to a broom closet.

There's more dialog if the "second player" immediately goes back into the closet.

MrNekomata
Apr 1, 2012

whitehelm posted:

There's more dialog if the "second player" immediately goes back into the closet.

Really? Well, I'll have to recapture it when I do the breaking the game run.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
Hey, thanks a ton for taking my request. I do notice that you didn't start with the Stanley Parable Demo, though. I was hoping you'd do that too. Either way, I look forward to you showing off all the absurdity this game can get up to.

E: Only two videos in, and you've already shown me something I didn't know about, i.e., the music at the end running down.

HomestarCanter fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 25, 2015

MrNekomata
Apr 1, 2012

HomestarCanter posted:

Hey, thanks a ton for taking my request. I do notice that you didn't start with the Stanley Parable Demo, though. I was hoping you'd do that too. Either way, I look forward to you showing off all the absurdity this game can get up to.

E: Only two videos in, and you've already shown me something I didn't know about, i.e., the music at the end running down.

I was planning on doing the demo as well. It was going to be after all the ending along with breaking game run.
Would of started with the demo, if I had previously remembered there was one and just the posted request had just an 'All endings' run.

Still, not even at the half way point yet.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Alright, just the one more complaint from me. It's clear you're not doing this from a fresh start, what with the broom closet and the boss's office and the like. I feel as though you are rather depriving those new to this game by jumping into a run that's been through several times already, when that is itself a mechanic of the game's storytelling.

That's it! Honest! I'll be good now. Can't think of anything else I could bring up now or in coming times.

MrNekomata
Apr 1, 2012

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Alright, just the one more complaint from me. It's clear you're not doing this from a fresh start, what with the broom closet and the boss's office and the like. I feel as though you are rather depriving those new to this game by jumping into a run that's been through several times already, when that is itself a mechanic of the game's storytelling.

That's it! Honest! I'll be good now. Can't think of anything else I could bring up now or in coming times.

The prior run I had crashed about at the on/off buttons choice. When I went to go check the footage, there had been some odd video glitches.
That's why it was a repeat run, the closet scene was about the only thing I could save out of the whole previous run video. (That being the first left door run.)

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I've seen a few videos of this, and I really hate the premise of this game. "This is a game about wasting time. You're wasting time pushing buttons, loser. Why are you playing this game? I'm going to witter on some more about how pointless playing this game is!" Yes, artsy guy, video games are a waste of time, thank you for dragging that single point out forever, jerk.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
that's not what this game is about at all

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Added Space posted:

I've seen a few videos of this, and I really hate the premise of this game. "This is a game about wasting time. You're wasting time pushing buttons, loser. Why are you playing this game? I'm going to witter on some more about how pointless playing this game is!" Yes, artsy guy, video games are a waste of time, thank you for dragging that single point out forever, jerk.

I feel like I wasted less time with Stanley Parable than most games I've played otherwise that same year.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Added Space posted:

Sounds like you came at it from the wrong angle. Think of it as a puzzle game where the puzzle is finding new ways to make the British voice in your head say funny things.

It's valid to look at it as something deeper, like you did, but that's not nearly as entertaining.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Donnerberg posted:

Sounds like you came at it from the wrong angle. Think of it as a puzzle game where the puzzle is finding new ways to make the British voice in your head say funny things.

It's valid to look at it as something deeper, like you did, but that's not nearly as entertaining.

Also, you need to remember that the name of this game is not "The Stanley Game," but "The Stanley Parable." And the thing about parables is, the story may be simple but the lessons you can get from them aren't. And yes, one point of the game is that playing games and working at achievements is arbitrary and silly, but that's in addition to other lessons that can be gained, like destiny vs choice, what freedom and happiness truly mean, the rejection of authority, etc. If "games are stupid" is the only thing you can get from it, that's fine, you do you, but to say that that's all there is to it when we've already seen there is more seems... myopic.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

I played the original HL2 mod version of this game and thought it was great, but I've had exclusively lovely laptops since then so I haven't seen the updated version at all. Already there's a lot of extra detail, although we presumably won't see things getting really different until we start going against the narrator properly.

Donnerberg posted:

It can also be thought of as Monty Python's Debugging: The Game in that the player is being challenged to outthink the limits of the game's mechanics. The 'broken window' scene is a good example of this.

The game's 'ironic' approach is slightly negated however by the fact that many people navigate game worlds in a counter-intuitive manner, in order to locate secrets hidden by the developers.

MrNekomata
Apr 1, 2012
Update
Sadly, following the narrator is no longer an option since that is... Well a pure narration route.
What if we, detoured just a little bit?

New episode

Thread challenge!
For all those thread watchers would like to join in on the fun that is "The Stanley Parable". There is a bit of interactivity with something coming up.
If the answer was yes, feel free to record this line. "My goodness, is it 430? I'm suppose to be having a 'back, sack and crack.'"
Upload it to something like tindeck or soundcloud and PM the link.

Also, did anything that seemed like an alternate route that Stanley should take?

Meeting Room

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
That narration was only because you weren't putting in the correct code, it has nothing to do with the 8888 achievement. Also the 8 thing would've made more sense if you showed the demo.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
All things considered, you're doing a great job showing off the game, but a rather poor job showing off the experience. I think the best way to play this would have been a fresh install of the demo and game, with a blind player and an experienced copilot to keep things from getting bogged down trying to find content that does not exist.

I'm not saying to stop, just offering an alternative. Maybe you know someone who has never heard of this, and you can have them play is while you nudge them subtly toward new endings each time?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

It's very difficult to LP a game like this, for the reasons offered above - a lot of the fun comes from the experience of trying things yourselves for the first time. But! I still think this style is worth sticking with. I appreciate you keeping track of the different routes, and I really don't think having multiple players would work at all, as that would inevitably drown out the narration that is the main hook of the game. One thing I would suggest is editing out content we've already seen from successive runs, so in this run we could have jumped straight to the office, then to the TV room, then to the switch. I suppose the next step is to try following the 'Escape!' sign.

There is something meta about just watching Stanley rather than actually playing, but we can discuss that later on maybe.

How much is there in the demo that's different? It makes more sense to me to focus on the game itself and maybe cover the demo later on, especially if the differences are fairly minor.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
After being stymied by the Narrator trying to disobey him in such a mundane way, I believe the only rational response would be to disobey him in all things. Follow none of his orders.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Y'know what? I'm going to be that guy. I want... The Broom Closet Ending. I mean, the narrator talked about it, so it must be there, right?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The broom closet ending *is* my favorite.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Kegluneq posted:

How much is there in the demo that's different? It makes more sense to me to focus on the game itself and maybe cover the demo later on, especially if the differences are fairly minor.

The demo is almost completely different from the actual game. The only similarity is that it's got the same narrator talking to you.

MrNekomata
Apr 1, 2012
Fine, I've watched the thread and listen. WISH GRANTED.
• BLINDRUN ✔
• THE GAME THAT CAME BEFORE? ✔
• COMPARE AND CONTRAST ✔

New episode

Fact time
Remember that one painting of the main straightening his tie?
I'd presume that to be the "Boss", which also happens the be the icon for the game.

But there is more, when the game was opened up for suggestions this was posted:

In which, I believe it was David of the crew making the game posted:

Mr. Foots needs to be in this game.

The Stanley Parable needs Mr. Foots.

Mr. Foots the mathematical wizard, deconstructor of numbers, of the universe. He who sees it from all angles, who can manipulate the fabric of time to his will.

Why is he so tall? Did he choose this height or was it forced on him? Will he ever be shorter? Does he measure himself in inches or in quarter-inches? These are the kinds of unanswerable questions that get to the root of what Stanley Parable is all about.

Mr. Foots is an enigma, he sees without seeing, he knows without knowing. He is everywhere and nowhere. Is it a stretch to say that he IS the stanley parable? No, no it is not. No stretching required.

And within a better close up of the painting...

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.

MrNekomata posted:

Fine, I've watched the thread and listen. WISH GRANTED.
• BLINDRUN ✔
• THE GAME THAT CAME BEFORE? ✔
• COMPARE AND CONTRAST ✔

I don't remember anyone asking for the original mod; we were talking about the Stanley Parable Demo. It's nice of you to show it off, but it doesn't sound like you watched the thread quite as clearly as you thought. I feel like I'm nitpicking at this point, and I'm sorry about that. You're making better videos than I ever could, and your technical quality is fantastic. I just feel there could be a bit more on the explanation/experience side of it.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

HomestarCanter posted:

I don't remember anyone asking for the original mod; we were talking about the Stanley Parable Demo. It's nice of you to show it off, but it doesn't sound like you watched the thread quite as clearly as you thought. I feel like I'm nitpicking at this point, and I'm sorry about that. You're making better videos than I ever could, and your technical quality is fantastic. I just feel there could be a bit more on the explanation/experience side of it.

I appreciate that the Lets Play is deviating from its own narrative.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
But, eager to get back to business, MrNekomata took the first open door on his left. And so he detoured through the Stanley Parable Demo, did a blind run, and then got back on track.

But MrNekomata didn't want to play the Demo. He wanted to wander about the original mod, and get even further off track. So in order to get back, he needed to... um, uh...

MrNekomata
Apr 1, 2012
This is starting to get too meta...

Moving on.

New Episode

Not much interesting fact could be found about this original make of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wanted to know what this game was like and it looks interesting. I hope to see more.

• Locked thread