Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narev
Oct 9, 2005

Something about FIR3 makes me wanna DANCE!
This game looks like a heck of a lot of fun. I've been playing Dungeon Fighter Online for my action MMO fix up till now, it's not as much fun as I remember.

I took a look at the founder's packs, I was expecting maybe like a $10, $20, maybe $40 option for the high rollers...
But $125? What the loving gently caress? I guess they saw that other companies sometimes ask that much for really high end collector's editions of games. What they don't realize is that those tend to include something big. For example, I paid about $125 for the collector's pack of Infamous 2, but I got an 8 inch statue of Cole (The hero), a wearable messenger's satchel w/game logo, a physical copy of the game... These people are charging the same price as that for just a bunch of data! And you only get a 90 day premium membership! Maybe I'm wrong, and it's a great value, but it honestly seems like someone said "American nerds will spend money on any drat thing!" and priced accordingly.

Also, I see that I could patch the Japanese version and try it out right now, is that worth doing when the release is like 2 weeks away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

Narev posted:

This game looks like a heck of a lot of fun. I've been playing Dungeon Fighter Online for my action MMO fix up till now, it's not as much fun as I remember.

I took a look at the founder's packs, I was expecting maybe like a $10, $20, maybe $40 option for the high rollers...
But $125? What the loving gently caress? I guess they saw that other companies sometimes ask that much for really high end collector's editions of games. What they don't realize is that those tend to include something big. For example, I paid about $125 for the collector's pack of Infamous 2, but I got an 8 inch statue of Cole (The hero), a wearable messenger's satchel w/game logo, a physical copy of the game... These people are charging the same price as that for just a bunch of data! And you only get a 90 day premium membership! Maybe I'm wrong, and it's a great value, but it honestly seems like someone said "American nerds will spend money on any drat thing!" and priced accordingly.

Also, I see that I could patch the Japanese version and try it out right now, is that worth doing when the release is like 2 weeks away?

It actually is a pretty good deal if you planned on subscribing and spending money on the cash shop, since it gives you both the currency and a subscription at a discount. Granted that's still dropping a lot of money on an unreleased MMO.

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61

Narev posted:

"American nerds will spend money on any drat thing!"

https://www.kickstarter.com

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Narev posted:

You're missing the part where it's $90 worth of cash shop currency + 3 months of premium (so $45 if we assume $15 per month). That's $135 worth of value right there, not counting any of the extra stuff you get like inventory expanders, brilliant keys, char slots/alteration vouches, and exclusive costumes, which is easily another $50+ worth of stuff. So overall it's actually a pretty good deal IF you know you'll play the game for at least 3 months, IF you'll spend money on the game to begin with, and IF you're ok with spending that money up front for extra stuff. A lot of ifs, but it's not bad at all from a pure value standpoint. Thankfully it's easy to try the game out before you buy it (via the other regions) so it's less of a risk than some other founders packs for actual unreleased games might be.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
How good of an investment is it though?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

I made it

So terrible

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cathead posted:

You're missing the part where it's $90 worth of cash shop currency + 3 months of premium (so $45 if we assume $15 per month). That's $135 worth of value right there, not counting any of the extra stuff you get like inventory expanders, brilliant keys, char slots/alteration vouches, and exclusive costumes, which is easily another $50+ worth of stuff. So overall it's actually a pretty good deal IF you know you'll play the game for at least 3 months, IF you'll spend money on the game to begin with, and IF you're ok with spending that money up front for extra stuff. A lot of ifs, but it's not bad at all from a pure value standpoint. Thankfully it's easy to try the game out before you buy it (via the other regions) so it's less of a risk than some other founders packs for actual unreleased games might be.

Are either the Chinese or Japanese versions easier to work with for getting an account and getting patched and all?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

According to reddit we will probably get september patch skills on launch:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bladeandsoul/comments/3z8a5n/praise_the_mmo_gods_confirmed_updated_skill_trees/

Good/bad?

EU goons: Anyone opposed to going to the currently seemingly high pop server Windrest?

I dunno if we have enough to do anything but will be fun to chill and punch things together

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 4, 2016

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Are either the Chinese or Japanese versions easier to work with for getting an account and getting patched and all?

Taiwan is easiest: http://www.bladeandsouldojo.com/topic/109351-how-to-play-blade-soul-tw-bns-tw/

I was just on there earlier fine-tuning saved char creation profiles since they work between regions.

Stanley Pain posted:

Idk I've been waiting for years to play this game without awful ping so I have no problem with firing money from my rear end at it.

Stormgale posted:

According to reddit we will probably get september patch skills on launch:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bladeandsoul/comments/3z8a5n/praise_the_mmo_gods_confirmed_updated_skill_trees/

Good/bad?

EU goons: Anyone opposed to going to the currently seemingly high pop server Windrest?

I dunno if we have enough to do anything but will be fun to chill and punch things together

September patch: http://www.freedomplays.com/blade-soul-kr-sept-skill-changes/
December patch: http://www.freedomplays.com/blade-soul-kr-dec-update-force-master-summoner-warlock/

Sunflower chi nerf in September for Summoners. :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

cathead posted:

Taiwan is easiest: http://www.bladeandsouldojo.com/topic/109351-how-to-play-blade-soul-tw-bns-tw/

I was just on there earlier fine-tuning saved char creation profiles since they work between regions.

Cool, thanks. I started trying to follow the JP instructions from the link in the OP right after I posted so I'll try the TW ones if I get cockblocked. I've got an account and the client is downloading (once I realized that Internet Explorer != Microsoft Edge :downs:) so good shape so far. Fingers crossed on the translation patches I guess.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Ohhhhh man I want that buff to Blademaster's block/parry's CD so bad. It was way too punishing if you swapped it to a parry before, at least compared to every other parry in the game.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What server did we agree on for NA?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Everyman posted:

It actually is a pretty good deal if you planned on subscribing and spending money on the cash shop, since it gives you both the currency and a subscription at a discount. Granted that's still dropping a lot of money on an unreleased MMO.

they are never good deals since they are designed to not be useful after awhile and just bilk idiots out of their money

I've seen higher order packages in different mmos, but once again, these are solely there to make an idiot rationalize spending extra money in a video game

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

It's a better deal than like archage packs. But it's still a free game. Just wait and see if you like it in it's final form first.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Managed to get on to JP, but the translation patch I got sure isn't very complete. Not that I expected it to be but still :v: The bit in the flashback(?) area on what to do when you die flew by me a bit, and the FM skill descriptions confuse me:

I guess from trial and error this detonates stacks from your LMB for burst damage?

Seems like it could be a fun game, though.

(edit) so uh is this some weird cross promotion artwork or is this a kung fu china game with gatling guns

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 4, 2016

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
Man, I cannot decide on what class to play. Might do FM. I love ranged mages for PvP.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

Managed to get on to JP, but the translation patch I got sure isn't very complete. Not that I expected it to be but still :v: The bit in the flashback(?) area on what to do when you die flew by me a bit, and the FM skill descriptions confuse me:

I guess from trial and error this detonates stacks from your LMB for burst damage?

Seems like it could be a fun game, though.

(edit) so uh is this some weird cross promotion artwork or is this a kung fu china game with gatling guns

you've just seen Poh Wah Ran, or powaran on NA. She'll be the boss of a dungeon we'll get a month or so after launch, and you can get her hair as a drop accessory for your character.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

HapiMerchant posted:

you've just seen Poh Wah Ran, or powaran on NA. She'll be the boss of a dungeon we'll get a month or so after launch, and you can get her hair as a drop accessory for your character.

Gonna make the biggest dude with that hair.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

randombattle posted:

Gonna make the biggest dude with that hair.

this is what she looks like in game, by the way

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Besides class restrictions, race and gender only affect how much of a pretty princess you can be, right?

If so, as usual for MMOs I'm gonna be debating for just about ever on being a manly giant of a man or the prettiest goddamn princess

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Besides class restrictions, race and gender only affect how much of a pretty princess you can be, right?

If so, as usual for MMOs I'm gonna be debating for just about ever on being a manly giant of a man or the prettiest goddamn princess

Be maximally oiled up either way. That's all that really matters.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Maximum Oil
- Crysis 4.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

chumbler posted:

Be maximally oiled up either way. That's all that really matters.

My god, there's an oil slider? Evidently I didn't pay enough attention in chargen.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Make a summoner and dress up your cat as well! Double the fun.

And yes it can also wear that boss' hair/dress from above. Yes its as ugly as you expect it to be.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

She's got the right idea though. Giant minigun is probably useful in a kung fu fight.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

randombattle posted:

She's got the right idea though. Giant minigun is probably useful in a kung fu fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke0bUqRE3_0

She does more then just minigun.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Around a minute in, did that dude with the ax (a Destroyer I imagine) just hold up a raid boss? :stare:

drat, I was sure I was gonna go with FM first but now I'm not so sure.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

Around a minute in, did that dude with the ax (a Destroyer I imagine) just hold up a raid boss? :stare:

yeah, a big part of deso (and any raid play but we're talking grabs and such) is CCing the bosses. the basic way it works is two players (or the same player if they can) have to pull two of the same type of cc close to each other. the first time, a red/green/blue ''shadow' of the boss appears, alerting others they can hit it again. once it's 'downed' (or stunned, or dazed) ANY skill you can use on a stun/daze/Knockdown enemy can be used on the boss...including things like deso/blade dancer/fm grab, which will keep it CCed even LONGER. so your FM could force choke poh, or any other boss, as long as someone else had combo-broke it earlier and made it vulnerable to cc

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Ciaphas posted:

Bear in mind that Kung-Fu Masters can tackle people to the ground and pummel them, too.

One of their moves on a downed target is a neck snap, although I think that's a long-term sleep move so not something you'd use on a boss.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

RPZip posted:

Bear in mind that Kung-Fu Masters can tackle people to the ground and pummel them, too.

One of their moves on a downed target is a neck snap, although I think that's a long-term sleep move so not something you'd use on a boss.

Curses now I'm up to three potential classes to play it's happening again

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

Curses now I'm up to three potential classes to play it's happening again

Assasins can jumpkick past a person, grab their neck and twist it 180 degrees mid air, with accompanying sound affect. they can also tangle someone up in wires and electrocute them.

All the classes have a ridiculously awesome looking move or two, or three

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Luckily I explicitly fail to give a poo poo about stealth classes or pet-focused classes in MMOs (incidental/short-term or autofire pets are ok), so at least I can strike two right off the list :v:

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

HapiMerchant posted:

We're actually going to have her dungeon (Serpent Supply Base) at release, along with Bloody Shark Harbor. They'll be the first two endgame purple dungeons (so a bit more difficult than the 4 blue dungeons we had at 45 in beta). Also I think they settled on Poharan as the spelling for NA.

Anyway, It's a week before name reservation as of today, so I guess I'll go ahead and post the new thread whenever Lucy's around to close this one.

I'm assuming we sort of decided on Mushin? The only problem is the queues are probably going to be fairly bad for awhile, so non-premium people might have a bad time. On the other hand, being on another server really only affects open world stuff, since dungeons and arena stuff are all cross-server, as in you can invite friends from other servers to come with you to do stuff. Anyway we've still got a week to decide so whatever.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Well, post the link and I'll close this thread.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Ok, new thread is up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Good title.

• Locked thread