Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

The Game.com (styled as "game.com" but pronounced "game com", not "game dot com") is a handheld game console released by Tiger Electronics in September 1997. It featured many new ideas for handheld consoles and was aimed at an older target audience, having PDA-style features and functions such as a touchscreen and stylus. Unlike other handheld game consoles, the first Game.com console included two slots for game cartridges and could be connected to a 14.4 kbit/s modem. The second and last revision reverted to a single cartridge slot.

To access the Internet, the user had to connect an external dial-up modem to the Game.com via a serial cable and dial into the Game.com-exclusive ISP. From there, the user could upload saved high scores, or check e-mail and view the web if they had the Internet cartridge (sold separately from the modem). The Game.com also supported other ISPs, although accessing them via text with the touch screen and stylus was far from user friendly. This process would end up being a matter of trial-and-error; both Tiger's now-defunct website and the included manual gave incorrect instructions for setting up a Game.com for internet access.

Web access was text-only, and the later, single-cartridge versions of the Game.com could not access the web or send e-mail at all. None of the games had actual online play with other people, only high score uploads. The monthly fee, two extra peripherals, and clumsy and confusing setup which required users to remain close to a phone line to connect the console to the modem meant that only a small percentage of owners had a subscription to the Game.com internet service.[citation needed]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
hey fuckface that domain's for sale

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
TIGER ATTAAAAAAACK

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I remember a classmate got his parents to buy him one of these. It had a port of "Resident Evil 2" but you couldn't really see what was going on.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

This eventually became AOL

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
lol hugedomains squatted on one of mine I forgot to regreg in the late 90s and is asking 8500 for it good look fellas (die in a fire squatter scum)

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Arian_Samurai posted:

I remember a classmate got his parents to buy him one of these. It had a port of "Resident Evil 2" but you couldn't really see what was going on.

Also available in green

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wanamingo posted:

Also available in green

"Hey dude, want to come over and see my game.com?"

"I don't know man, I have homework to do".

• Locked thread