Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Posting this on behalf of a friend, as I've been trying to help him sort it out to little avail.

Problem description: About a week ago, the motherboard's on-board NIC stopped working, always saying the cable was unplugged when it was firmly in place (and tested with different cables).

Attempted fixes: A reinstall of the drivers and using the Windows troubleshooter didn't help any, so he picked up a PCI NIC (TP-Link). This also didn't work, but for a different reason. Windows kept spitting out Could not start, Code 10 . I had him boot to a Linux live USB, where the TP-Link NIC kept flicking between trying to get an IP and not connected (other devices are getting DHCP just fine) and didn't see the onboard one. A replacement NIC exhibited the same results. Different cables and ports didn't help.

Recent changes: Only the stuff above.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

System specs: GA-970A-UD3
AMD Phenom II X4 945
Radeon HD 5700
12GB RAM, DDR3
Onboard NIC: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
PCI NICs: TP-LINK TG-3269 10/100/1000

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
You can't use PCI Ethernet cards with modern motherboards, they're exclusively meant for old boards without PCI-E slots. Remove the PCI cards, shut the system down, remove the power cord from the back, and press the power button to drain the capacitors. Let it sit for an hour or so, then plug it back in and power it up. This will reset the onboard Ethernet controller that normally remains turned on when the system is powered off or briefly unplugged. If it still doesn't work with the latest drivers from the Realtek website, try with a PCI-E NIC.

• Locked thread