Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

My father bought it in Japan some 30 years ago. I'm thinking of having it restored (it's damaged and dirty) but the guy who does that advised me to check first whether it's valuable so that he doesn't debase it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

While this might get gassed for being far too specific for A/T, I'm in the same boat as well. I've got a few Japanese paintings, at least one of which is painted on a copper sheet (and I also don't know the significance of painting on a copper sheet, unless that puts the painting in a certain time period or was in some other way unique.) I don't want to sell them, per se, but I'd hate to not get a fair value from an insurer, for instance.

I'll take a look around my artist friends and see if anyone can recommend a place/way to find out these things, you might consider checking to see if Antiques Roadshow is coming near your location any time soon.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I'll give you $30

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Oddhair posted:

While this might get gassed for being far too specific for A/T, I'm in the same boat as well. I've got a few Japanese paintings, at least one of which is painted on a copper sheet (and I also don't know the significance of painting on a copper sheet, unless that puts the painting in a certain time period or was in some other way unique.) I don't want to sell them, per se, but I'd hate to not get a fair value from an insurer, for instance.

I'll take a look around my artist friends and see if anyone can recommend a place/way to find out these things, you might consider checking to see if Antiques Roadshow is coming near your location any time soon.

I don't think it should be gassed, I've seen Tell threads like "what is this thing I found in the basement". There are Japanese speaking goons around so I'm hoping one of them will at least translate the signature.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

The signature looks like 梅友 (read baiyuu or umetomo) to me. I checked around on google and some auction sites but didn't see any artists with a signature/seal resembling that one. I saw a few that were somewhat similar, but not enough so that you could even call it a knockoff. The few artists that went by 梅友 were maybe getting a few hundred at best for their pieces so even in the best case I don't think this fellow would be very famous.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Apparently there is some artist named 毛利梅友 (Mouri Baiyu) drawing wall scrolls. No clue if that's related but that red stamp looks like it could be 毛利...

And the places I've seen selling his other work has them for like $50.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

No, but it's pretty. I don't think paper scrolls can be easily restored, so just enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Thanks everyone. No need to call Sotheby's then but it will look nice cleaned up a bit.

• Locked thread