Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KewlBiens
Nov 21, 2007

by Lowtax
I wish to circumvent the default hotspot app on my phone. I would prefer not to root. I've tried a few apps (the first few google results for this kind of thing) and they are all a waste of my time because they just use the default hotspot app in a different way (reducing number of clicks to activate, creating networks to allow multiple devices to connect). I want to circumvent it completely and have almost zero interest in rooting my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015
good thread

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Have you tried googling "android tether without root" and found out that the answer is FoxFi yet?

KewlBiens
Nov 21, 2007

by Lowtax

GWBBQ posted:

Have you tried googling "android tether without root" and found out that the answer is FoxFi yet?

like everything else i tried all foxfi did was turn on the default hotspot app, it also renamed my wireless network

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Circumventing carrier restrictions and baked in apps almost certainly requires Root.

Additionally you probably need a VPN to hide your traffic, even if you are unlimited, some carriers will get suspicious and understandably angry otherwise.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Why don't you just pay for it?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Nah. And the app solution had drat well better be free forever with no ads.

It's almost 2016. Working around tethering is so 2011. Just get a modern data plan like the rest of the adult world, OP. AT&T's let you tether all of it if you so wish. With rollover, I have nearly 50 gigs/month to do whatever I want with (15-->30 doubled promo, rollover and two other lines that are on wifi 24x7, so I have the lions share of data).

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

RZA Encryption posted:

I would be totally to willing to pay for tethering if Sprint gave me a reasonable way to do it. My only legit options are:

2 GB Mobile Hotspot for $20/month (per line)
6 GB Mobile Hotspot for $50/month (per line)

Using Mobile Hotspot is something that I rarely ever need, but it would be very handy to have for those rare occasions. But with that pricing model, I'm better off just doing everything on my phone to begin with.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, I already see your first mistake there.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

brc64 posted:

I would be totally to willing to pay for tethering if Sprint gave me a reasonable way to do it. My only legit options are:

2 GB Mobile Hotspot for $20/month (per line)
6 GB Mobile Hotspot for $50/month (per line)

Using Mobile Hotspot is something that I rarely ever need, but it would be very handy to have for those rare occasions. But with that pricing model, I'm better off just doing everything on my phone to begin with.

Tell me about your situation where it's advantageous to be on Sprint.

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015
just plug the usb cable into your butt to tether and surf the itnernet from your rear end in a top hat

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Stop using sprint?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

RZA Encryption posted:

Tried, couldn't, none. There are none.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have a feeling this is going to be one of the last people still on some ancient SERO plan that costs them $40 a month for unlimited everything.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Are people still on those $15 ratshack plans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

RZA Encryption posted:

I have 3 lines, unlimited voice and data, live in a place where service is actually good, and have a 22% discount through my employer. After taxes, my bill usually sits around $200 (which includes the $30/mo lease for my Note 5).

If you can find me something comparable, I'm happy to look. Every time I've looked before, everything was either roughly the same cost or significantly more expensive for what I have now.

• Locked thread