Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So I recently moved my Mother-In-Law in to help take care of her because she is diabetic and losing her damned mind and her retirement planning began and ended with, "My kids have to take care of me."

So I need software to shut a PC down at a given time at night. If left to her own devices she will sit at that thing until 5am playing mah jong, and just doesn't give a poo poo that she then sleeps all day, isn't eating right, isn't taking her meds, etc. Don't bother telling me to control her better... sometimes she gets kicked off the computer at 10pm and someone gets up at 2am to pee and she is back on it. Short of locking her in her room at night, there's nothing to be done about it.

I was looking at "parental control" software, but they seemed to be focused on shutting down internet access at a given time. What I want is, at a set time, a window pops up on the computer screen, "Enter password to continue using this computer." Rebooting doesn't clear it, within the curfew hours. You enter the password, or you can't use the computer at all between 10pm and 7am. I need a password instead of a hardware timer on the outlet because the MIL uses my wife's computer, and sometimes my wife might want to be playing The Sims or something up late on a weekend.

Anyone know a good program? The curfew timer is literally the only function I need. Free is good, but I am willing to pay a few dollars for something that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Unplug the power cord. Take the power cord with you.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ithaqua posted:

Unplug the power cord. Take the power cord with you.

Not convenient. I don't suppose you have any knowledge about the question I asked?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Figured out I should just slap a password on the machine, and log it out when the last legit user is done with it.

Topic closed.

• Locked thread