Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Problem description: My system clock is changing while I am using the machine. The BIOS clock is correctly set, and this isn't the result of shutting the system down. I can be sitting here, browsing the web or playing a game, and when I check the clock, I could be from 20-60 minutes behind, or more. As far as I can tell, the time never advances forward, only falls back. It seems to fall more and more through the day, falling back at multiple times. Ultimately I'm not sure exactly how to solve this problem, I can't figure out how to chase down the issue.

Attempted fixes:
  • Correcting the time works, of course, until the time is changed again.
  • I have performed a full virus scan, and have active and updated antivirus (Microsoft Security Essentials)
  • I downloaded Malwarebytes and will run a full scan tonight to see if the issue is Malware Result: Nothing found.
  • I have some Windows Event logs in an attempt to find out what is causing the changes. -- http://pastebin.com/LDp39Kcn
  • The change is always made by the SYSTEM user, procid:4
  • I also enabled Security Auditing (though I am by no means a pro with this -- it is something I found by Googling).
  • I have not replaced the CMOS battery, but I do not believe this is the issue since the UEFI BIOS time is correct when I check it. The issue seems to be exclusive to Windows, and occurs when Windows is running, not on a reboot.
  • I'll be running a VMWare Linux instance to see if the clock in the instance changes overnight. Result: While the host machine was set back around 6 hours, the virtual machine was right on time.
  • I unregistered, re-registered, and resynced my Windows Time Service. This did not solve the issue.

Recent changes: I have not made hardware changes in over a year. The problem began in the past 2-3 weeks.

Operating system: Win 7 Pro x64

System specs: i5 4670k (chip is not overclocked), Asus Z87-A, 16GB RAM, GTX 760's SLI

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Do you have the correct timezone set? If you have it set to something other than your actual timezone and network time syncing on you'll constantly be getting set to the set timezone's time instead of whatever your timezone is.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Flagrama posted:

Do you have the correct timezone set? If you have it set to something other than your actual timezone and network time syncing on you'll constantly be getting set to the set timezone's time instead of whatever your timezone is.

I do have the correct timezone; changes aren't always 1H which you'd expect if it was a timezone error. The change can be any number of minutes, I've seen 2, 4, 22, 35, 60 and more. I'm not sure the change is ever over 60 minutes but it will accumulate over multiple changes.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Install the latest motherboard BIOS and Intel chipset drivers (from the Intel website).

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Alereon posted:

Install the latest motherboard BIOS and Intel chipset drivers (from the Intel website).

This fixed it, I'm pretty sure. It looks like I should have had Intel Management Engine installed alongside my chipset drivers. Once I installed that and updated the BIOS and everything has been peachy.

Many thanks for the advice.

• Locked thread