Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
eactor AMA

quote:

The Reactor is a sort of temple to chaos and ultimate, inevitable decay. At its heart, the hottest embers of collapsing supernova-driven hyperferrofusion gives us the giant, doomed atoms teetering on the edge of a sort of catastrophic disintegration.

We pull it from the ground, purify it, bind it in a strict, uniform fashion of some platonic solid or cousin thereof and array it together in a vast congregation made up of giant old nuclides ready to draw together and commit random mélange en mass.

The supporting mechanism bound, wound about and linked with the core all ultimately serve the one task of molding the form of the heat once captured from the collapse of a dying star and carrying it from the burning beating heart out to be disseminated among the populace in a vast and growing web blooming with taps of pure potential.
In this way we enslave decay and ride its capture to our own inevitable doom, whooping all the way like Major Kong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
so do you like jerk off in it or what

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

will you jo with me

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
im the reactor and the major kong

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
jo jo jo jo jo jo

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

lonesomedwarf posted:

will you jo with me

probabilistically speaking there's a good chance i will

Moridin920 posted:

so do you like jerk off in it or what

totally can but best not to when running ime (in my experience)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Protagonist posted:

totally can but best not to when running ime (in my experience)

well then what's the point

make a gently caress bot

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

dad gay. so what posted:

im the reactor and the major kong

lwtx you nevetr gave me my custom plat symbol i reuqested when also durnk when time

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
So you got really high and started reading fusor.net?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

well then what's the point

make a gently caress bot

runst hings you can jo in

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Hobohemian posted:

So you got really high and started reading fusor.net?

no i got really drunk because i realized i've been given the helm of a dozen man group of students to do this thing

e; the one of the things, the other of the things is for the rso i helped organize for some STUPID REASON

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
what kind of megawatt hours are we talkin here

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

what kind of megawatt hours are we talkin here

1-1.5GW for the comr paper design, gently caress this pansy rear end SMR poo poo. For the fusor I aint got a fuckin' clue, whatever 50kV can do with a little fart of deut in a decent vacc? It's gonna have a bunch of different cages run through it so it'll vary from lovely to really shityt

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
i hope it doesn't use tuna for fuel

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Poetic Justice posted:

i hope it doesn't use tuna for fuel

i can confirm right now hwer in front of everyone no tuna harmed in fuelin these reactors, probably not in waste disposal either

probably

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Protagonist posted:

1-1.5GW for the comr paper design, gently caress this pansy rear end SMR poo poo. For the fusor I aint got a fuckin' clue, whatever 50kV can do with a little fart of deut in a decent vacc? It's gonna have a bunch of different cages run through it so it'll vary from lovely to really shityt

what do you plan to do about big oil they're gonna try to shut this down bro

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

what do you plan to do about big oil they're gonna try to shut this down bro

we'll present a finished plan and no further capital will manifest dont worry

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

The Protagonist posted:

no i got really drunk because i realized i've been given the helm of a dozen man group of students to do this thing

e; the one of the things, the other of the things is for the rso i helped organize for some STUPID REASON

There's a kid at UW Madison that built one by himself and made a website with an almost step by step photo guide. I think he even built a machine to synthesize his own deuterium. Probably linked somewhere on fusor.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hobohemian posted:

There's a kid at UW Madison that built one by himself and made a website with an almost step by step photo guide. I think he even built a machine to synthesize his own deuterium. Probably linked somewhere on fusor.

how much does it output and how much does it take to run?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Hobohemian posted:

man i;ve read all that poo poo i've seen how to do electrolysis of heavy water from RTFT and elsewhere and i'm just gonna tell you right here irhgt now okay? we aint doin that poo poo. we gon buy a can of the poo poo and check that one of right now

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i feel like building a reactor is going to put you on all the watch lists

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Moridin920 posted:

how much does it output and how much does it take to run?

There are no IEC fusors that have net power output, that's the holy grail of nuclear fusion. I think the only universities thst even have a research reactor are uw madison, u washington and one in japan and australia. Most of these student built iec are proof of concept.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

i feel like building a reactor is going to put you on all the watch lists

it's kind of a known player thing. i already am on all the books when i got sec clearance in the navy, again when i certified on the local research reactor, it's not really a secret.

none of this is. it's cool though i like talkin bout it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
well then fuckin do it and post pictures

I wanted to kinda do that for a moment back in school but then I realized I have no idea what I'm doing

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

well then fuckin do it and post pictures

I wanted to kinda do that for a moment back in school but then I realized I have no idea what I'm doing

things just got rolling and the reality of it is really setting in with my buzz V:v:V so here's ten minutes of farting around in tinkercad

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
If you're in the Navy with sec clearence did they let you in on any info on the Bussard Polywell they were working on in San Diego?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Hobohemian posted:

If you're in the Navy with sec clearence did they let you in on any info on the Bussard Polywell they were working on in San Diego?

i got out of the navy in '07, i had no idea they were tampering with fusors at all! thats cool and the wrong approach imo

hell we wouldn't be doing iec in our rso if it wasn't so proven as a 'garage' fusion device. i was advocating the dense plasma focus approach

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

The Protagonist posted:

i got out of the navy in '07, i had no idea they were tampering with fusors at all! thats cool and the wrong approach imo

hell we wouldn't be doing iec in our rso if it wasn't so proven as a 'garage' fusion device. i was advocating the dense plasma focus approach

The project was a private gig stuck in new mexico until about 2010. In 2012 they poached a guy from los alamos and moved the whole thing to San Diego when they got like 30mil in navy funding. Haven't heard any public news since.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Hobohemian posted:

The project was a private gig stuck in new mexico until about 2010. In 2012 they poached a guy from los alamos and moved the whole thing to San Diego when they got like 30mil in navy funding. Haven't heard any public news since.

i wonder where they're at compared to the lockheed snkwrks dudes. it's funny, i got involved in this cus i was really into the promise of fusion and everything i've learned has pushed me down the path of betting against achieving net aaaaaaaanytime soon and hey we have mounds of this really good poo poo that, in stark contrast to fusion, is really easy to get to happen! like, you know, sometimes it can be too easy! it's like edging, really, but forever

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

i'm sad yall dont have more questions i really like talking about this stuff

like guess who said that quote in the op. i'll give you a hint he was really super mega ultra baked the other day when he wrote it

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

i'm still doin this

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Suck my drat balls OP

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
stupid science bitches can't even stop global warming

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Nooner posted:

Suck my drat balls OP

confusing? i can help illuminate things ifw (if you want)

Moridin920 posted:

stupid science bitches can't even stop global warming

actually thats the point of this thing

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

what is wrong with you people

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

The Protagonist posted:

I'm kinda sad cause I gotta go home tomorrow and back to work and poo poo instead of staying around and getting to be with my family more, I miss them and don't get to see them very often

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

The Protagonist posted:

noonerspug is green and cool just like weed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

i just went and bought fresh weed but am back and available for questions about the amazing process wherein trash is turned into pure power for civilization for a millennia or more

• Locked thread