Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Problem description: In order to continue playing Starbound, I had to update to Windows 7 Service Pack 1. After Windows Update supposedly installed it, I restarted and went through all the movements, but it apparently failed: it displayed as downloaded from Windows Update, but Installed Updates showed no such thing. Undeterred, I downloaded the full install ISO from Microsoft and successfully ran it from there. However, I have been running into numerous bizarre issues since then. Random file types no longer want to open, despite FileTypesMan indicating they are still very much associated. The "Open With..." dialogue doesn't operate properly anymore, allowing me to choose my own program but then steadfastly refusing to add it to the list. A few of my context menu options are now gone with no explanation. Most oddly of all, before this update my HDD said it was at 1.35TB or so of free space. Afterwards, 535GB.

The only clue I have to go by is via my UltraEdit install, which is the program that had a shell integration bit that no longer shows up in the right click context menu in Explorer. Attempting to redo the integration from within the program itself gives me "Registry Read Error" and attempting to Repair the installation through Programs and Features says "Error 1406. Could not write value to key \Software\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UltraEdit. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel." So apparently the update did something to the registry that I can't quite explain.

Attempted fixes: I've been Googling my rear end off, but none of the things I've found seem to be quite what I'm looking for. I'm going to attempt a System Restore to before the update, but that's really only a minor patch for the problem since as I said, I need this update in order to get Starbound working again unless I intend on never playing it again.

Recent changes: As I said, this is almost 100% certainly caused by my updating to Service Pack 1.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate

System specs: Custom desktop build. Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 12 GB DDR3 RAM, dual 3GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti cards

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

EDIT: Oh for gently caress's sake... I did the System Restore. The computer restarted and then informed me that System Restore had failed. But... now everything works? And SP1 is still installed? I have no idea, but gently caress it, as long as it works I guess I'm good.

Chinese Tony Danza fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread