Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My five-year old corgi Butters had blood in his urine last night and this morning. He's not pissing pure blood or anything but it's enough to be noticeable, and last night he apparently urinated in the house (which is rare without provocation) though no one witnessed what caused him to do so. He may or may not have urinated in the bed last night, I just remember waking up with a big wet spot by my feet. I remember looking at the spot in my half-awake state to see if it was actually urine (he does this weird thing where he licks the bedsheets a bunch that could have also caused the spot) and I don't remember seeing any blood.

My theory is that it's being caused by his current diet. My wife's parents are visiting from SE Asia and have been cooking for us a bunch, which means that Butters has been getting a lot of table scraps. Nothing too exotic, just a decent amount of rice, meat, and veggies along with some pork bones and cartilage (and nothing like chicken bones that would splinter easily). My wife also floated a theory about not getting enough water in comparison to the calories Butters is taking in, but as far as I know his water intake has been normal. And the one time I've seen him poop since first noticing this problem, his stool has looked normal.

The plan is to go back to a strict dog food & water diet and monitor his urine for a few days and monitor him, does that sound like a reasonable plan or should we be rushing him to the vet right now? As I was typing this post he urinated in the house, again it's not a lot of blood but the blood + peeing in the house is concerning. He's in good spirits otherwise and wants to eat/drink, but he's never had health issues before so I'm not sure what to do. I just want my buddy to be OK! :ohdear:

E: The blood appears to be gone, but now he's just urinating a lot. He had his morning pee, and has had a couple of regular sized pee breaks in the last hour or two along with several stops to dribble a few drops on the nearest tree.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
He's got a urinary tract infection. Bring him to the vet for antibiotics.

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009
That sounds like a classic UTI and you should definitely take him to the vet fairly soon. Animals won't always reveal that they're in pain in the ways you might expect but there's every chance he's suffering and could get a lot worse without prompt antibiotic treatment.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah we took him to the vet that afternoon when we realized there was one open, got him on anti-biotics and less than 24 hours later he was done with the blood and the constant pissing. I still think it was diet-related as we stopped with the table-feeding that morning too, but hey he seems to be all better so :buddy:

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
I'm curious why you're set on there being a dietary cause for urinary tract signs. Is there something you could eat that would cause you to pee blood, or to wet the bed?

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009
Urinary tract infections are caused by bacteria entering the urethra. Some foods can aggravate the pain in humans so there's that but feeding your dog table scraps wouldn't cause bacteria to enter his urethra and cause an infection that responds to antibiotics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
take your stupid dog to the v-

huh, that normally takes longer.

table feeding is a bad habit anyway.

• Locked thread