Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
people gravitate towards extreme views in impersonal arguments and even more so when surrounded by likeminded people

also people prefer simpler answers, and the simpler something is the more extreme it is. the simplest form of information consists of one of two extremes, a 1 or a 0.

the intelligence and rationality of the human mind is dwarfed by the combined urges both to pick sides and to make the concept of sides binary

south park is right. hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puke pentagram
Jun 12, 2015

what is the solution goons

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
my side is always right.

violence is an acceptable means to an end if it supports my world view.

this in the middle stuff is for pussies.

hope this helps.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
hmmmmmm :smugdog::pipe:

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Middle of my rear end where the poo poo comes out

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
malcolm is actually in the middle

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Cnut the Great posted:

malcolm is actually in the middle

Life is unfair

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
The truth IS in the middle, but since "the middle" in this case means "anything other than the two absolute extremes" the middle is also really really big. Like if you take the numbers 1 to 1000, everything other than 1 and 1000 is in the middle.

Usually the actual truth is analogous to, like, 987 or 12 and way way closer to one extreme than the other.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Fatkraken posted:

The truth IS in the middle, but since "the middle" in this case means "anything other than the two absolute extremes" the middle is also really really big. Like if you take the numbers 1 to 1000, everything other than 1 and 1000 is in the middle.

Usually the actual truth is analogous to, like, 987 or 12 and way way closer to one extreme than the other.
lol

i say people prefer simple answers and you counter by increasing the breadth of the linear scale

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Mercrom posted:

people gravitate towards extreme views in impersonal arguments and even more so when surrounded by likeminded people

also people prefer simpler answers, and the simpler something is the more extreme it is. the simplest form of information consists of one of two extremes, a 1 or a 0.

the intelligence and rationality of the human mind is dwarfed by the combined urges both to pick sides and to make the concept of sides binary

south park is right. hth

people who don't know about something or don't care choose not to make a choice

this is what smart people do

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Mercrom posted:

lol

i say people prefer simple answers and you counter by increasing the breadth of the linear scale

analogies are supposed to be simplified versions of reality

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the truth is not a scale, but a man.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'm really gay

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

vyst posted:

I'm really gay

maybe instead of gay or straight, the truth is in the middle?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fatkraken posted:

This is the correct post.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Fatkraken posted:

analogies are supposed to be simplified versions of reality
analogies are supposed to be abstracted versions of reality

you cant abstract a matrix to only one row, and if you are dealing with multiple interconnected things a linear scale can only be a false analogy

if all our choices involved independent values ranging from 0 to 1 the answer would always be either 0 or 1, because fractioning it would either serve to decrease a good thing or increase a bad thing

anyway these numbers dont really matter in any way except to demonstrate that because of tribalism and a need to simplify we divide the problem into 2, maybe 3 mostly arbitrary sides

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I thought Malcolm in the Middle got off to a promising start, but then all those kids got old and awkward looking and the formula didn't work anymore. In any case, it's about time we had a Malcolm in the Middle thread, it's been several months since the last one.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Mercrom posted:

lol

The numbers don't matter, it's like a volume knob going to 11. It makes sense to use more numbers to keep the results integers. Like if you take his example and put it on the interval 0-1 then one of them would be .012 and the other .987. it don't make no nevermind

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The truth is being so far into one extreme you cross into the other, like those people who are so racially progressive they become pro-segregation.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

wrong op

dialectics

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

bend over and drop your pants, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Das Boo posted:

The truth is being so far into one extreme you cross into the other, like those people who are so racially progressive they become pro-segregation.

this is closer

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012

Commie NedFlanders posted:

wrong op

dialectics

Dianetics

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Uncle Enzo posted:

The numbers don't matter, it's like a volume knob going to 11. It makes sense to use more numbers to keep the results integers. Like if you take his example and put it on the interval 0-1 then one of them would be .012 and the other .987. it don't make no nevermind
yeah that was p much my point

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

not one....not three....but....two....

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Kuato posted:

I thought Malcolm in the Middle got off to a promising start, but then all those kids got old and awkward looking and the formula didn't work anymore. In any case, it's about time we had a Malcolm in the Middle thread, it's been several months since the last one.

did you know that the meth cook on breaking bad was played by hal???

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Kuato posted:

Wanna gently caress the mom so bad.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
yep, although you'd be surprised how many people think that way. they just dont speak up, because really, who cares in the end

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

ArtIsResistance posted:

did you know that the meth cook on breaking bad was played by hal???

:monocle:

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Wanna gently caress the mom so bad.

Me too, gonna pull up the show on YouTube and spank it to her nagging

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Mercrom posted:

south park is right. hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
U say you're straight? Well, I read on GBS that the truth is somewhere in the middle ;)

• Locked thread