Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
They also love to do poo poo like charge you double labor for, oh, say, new brake pads, rotors, and then resurfacing the old rotors..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
dealerships are experts in selling you overpriced tires half a year before you need them

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

thathonkey posted:

dealerships are experts in selling you overpriced tires half a year before you need them

:clint: "You see these grooves in them?"
:downs: "Yeah..."
:clint: "Thats bad."

I've had similar retardation at a Les Schwab when they thought I was an idiot just because I had a NEW(er) car with 16s on them and they came factory with 17s. No poo poo, Sherlock. Look whats on there now. Does that look like it says R17 motherfucker?

TwoFire fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 2, 2015

DirtyMick
Feb 1, 2014

Lufiron posted:

this is if your motor is an interference motor

otherwise you'll just need a tow

Also worth noting is timing chains. They're often advertised as being good for the life of the engine, but that's because if it's an interference engine and it blows then your engine is for all intents and purposes poo poo.

Inspect the chain and tensioner.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

DirtyMick posted:

Also worth noting is timing chains. They're often advertised as being good for the life of the engine, but that's because if it's an interference engine and it blows then your engine is for all intents and purposes poo poo.

:eng101: If your car is going clickityclack and it isn't pushrods/lifters (made in this century), you might want to get this checked before you need a new engine.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

make friends with a mechanic that knows what the gently caress they're doing. had a dude do a laundry list of maintenence on my car for the cost of changing a timing belt/water pump at a shop, as well as changing the timing belt and water pump

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TwoFire posted:

They also love to do poo poo like charge you double labor for, oh, say, new brake pads, rotors, and then resurfacing the old rotors..

yeah it really pays to find a good local independent mechanic who doesn't screw you over with things like big part markups.

Lots of dealers will also try to get away with selling you rebuilt components.

DirtyMick
Feb 1, 2014

etalian posted:

yeah it really pays to find a good local independent mechanic who doesn't screw you over with things like big part markups.

My father is a now backyard mechanic. He's ASE certified and such but laments the bullshit he sees at shops. For instance, the shop owner trying to scare a customer into replacing all ignition coils on a PoC system when only one is bad. "It's damned unethical" he says. Does pretty well for himself without loving anybody over.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

DirtyMick posted:

My father is a now backyard mechanic. He's ASE certified and such but laments the bullshit he sees at shops. For instance, the shop owner trying to scare a customer into replacing all ignition coils on a PoC system when only one is bad. "It's damned unethical" he says. Does pretty well for himself without loving anybody over.

If someone actually mentions they're ASE certified, its like a computer person mentioning they're A+. Most of them are, but those who actually talk about it generally don't know poo poo.

DirtyMick
Feb 1, 2014

TwoFire posted:

If someone actually mentions they're ASE certified, its like a computer person mentioning they're A+. Most of them are, but those who actually talk about it generally don't know poo poo.

I didn't say he did, but I do. I guess that reinforces your statement though.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

DirtyMick posted:

I didn't say he did, but I do. I guess that reinforces your statement though.

Welp. Hope you shop at KaleCo.

DirtyMick
Feb 1, 2014

I'm not that loving bad dude. I just never likened ASE to A+ is all. In retrospect it makes sense.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

DirtyMick posted:

I just never likened ASE to A+ is all. In retrospect it makes sense.

Theres nothing wrong with KaleCos' blinker fluid. poo poo, I've got nearly 130k on mine and its just as smooth as ever.

DirtyMick
Feb 1, 2014

TwoFire posted:

:eng101: If your car is going clickityclack and it isn't pushrods/lifters (made in this century), you might want to get this checked before you need a new engine.

Had a 97 Cavalier where the tensioner went boom. I learned a bit that day.

DirtyMick
Feb 1, 2014

TwoFire posted:

Theres nothing wrong with KaleCos' blinker fluid. poo poo, I've got nearly 130k on mine and its just as smooth as ever.

Actually though, my wife's civic had a loving comical amount of dielectric grease on the terminals of the headlights and everything else that could be even tangentially related.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

DirtyMick posted:

Actually though, my wife's civic had a loving comical amount of dielectric grease on the terminals of the headlights and everything else that could be even tangentially related.

Haha poo poo. I got stuck going to an O'Reilly for bulbs once because I didn't have any spares, and I needed them today. There was a rather pushy manager who was trying like hell to sell the grease, claiming that they wouldn't take the bulbs for return if I didn't buy the grease. I sent a letter to corporate just because he was being a dick (who returns bulbs when you know what you need?), and damned if I ever saw him there again.

DirtyMick
Feb 1, 2014

TwoFire posted:

Haha poo poo. I got stuck going to an O'Reilly for bulbs once because I didn't have any spares, and I needed them today. There was a rather pushy manager who was trying like hell to sell the grease, claiming that they wouldn't take the bulbs for return if I didn't buy the grease. I sent a letter to corporate just because he was being a dick (who returns bulbs when you know what you need?), and damned if I ever saw him there again.

That's awesome, it's like when the dudes at autozone push all the bullshit at the counter. No I'm good with your 2oz package of petroleum jelly for 5 bucks.

That KaleCo link. I have to buy the blinker fluid t-shirt.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

DirtyMick posted:

That's awesome, it's like when the dudes at autozone push all the bullshit at the counter. No I'm good with your 2oz package of petroleum jelly for 5 bucks.

He probably got bumped UP the ladder. :smith:

So yeah, new cars are for the elite. Old cars are for the masses.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

etalian posted:

Make friends with a dealership mechanic then offer to pay him to do the work on the side.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

DirtyMick posted:

scare a customer into replacing all ignition coils on a PoC system when only one is bad.

the reason they do this is to prevent comebacks. sometimes it's fine, but other times you could end up playing wack a mole for a few months as one after another go bad. this is especially true if you don't fix the root cause: worn out plugs.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
lol if you bought a car for cash instead of getting a 0% interest loan and investing your 15-20k

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

1st AD posted:

lol if you bought a car for cash instead of getting a 0% interest loan and investing your 15-20k

First 'lol if you' that actually makes sense.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Unless you're buying like a classic porsche 911 or an e30 m3 your car probably isn't much of an investment

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
He's saying that instead of blowing all your cash on a car, get a 0% interest loan and use the cash that wouldve gone towards buying the car on investments instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Lufiron posted:

He's saying that instead of blowing all your cash on a car, get a 0% interest loan and use the cash that wouldve gone towards buying the car on investments instead

but if i were zero percent interested, i would never need to consult a jew banker to loan me a a car in a profusely usurious exchange via the used car lot owner's llc. its because they seem dubous at best to trust.

• Locked thread