Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese
In on this - I'm always looking for good ideas for the volvo camper from hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's the chinese buying all the vans as investments.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Check FL. I remember seeing lots of them cheap that way.

Nope. Cargo van prices here are loving ridiculous. You're better off starting with a conversion van, half the price and half the miles.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I bet it was the Hipsters that made all the vans expensive. loving hipsters.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Rime posted:

Guys, I do not know what crack is being smoked by the van market in the lower mainland. What I do know is that 380k and 290k are both at the upper operational bounds for diesel and gasoline engines (respectively) before major work is probably required, and thus asking $10k for a 15-20 year old RWD cargo van is pretty much insane. :stare:

http://m.autotrader.ca/a/19_8919248

Sure, its rather far away, but hey, road trip!

Also looks like a pretty sweet ride, and woo the last year of the e350 7.3!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Just so you know you can convert a 2wd Econoline pretty easilly if you are thrifty at junkyards. You'll need the springs/mounts from similarly aged F trucks. THe axle will probably be gone. You'll need new driveshafts made up.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5159301743.html

I've been eye loving this turd, and if you're close, I suggest you jump on it.

I'm holding out for either an 80s burb, or 90s ambulance.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Seriously rime at this point I think it's just easier and cheaper for you to just squat in the woods.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011

Fucker in charge of you fucking fucks

Rime posted:

Guys, I do not know what crack is being smoked by the van market in the lower mainland. What I do know is that 380k and 290k are both at the upper operational bounds for diesel and gasoline engines (respectively) before major work is probably required, and thus asking $10k for a 15-20 year old RWD cargo van is pretty much insane. :stare:

Hah! Welcome to the Lower Mainland used car market. Want a Honda Civic with 190K km? Be prepared to pay 13 loving grand. Start looking for vans in Lynden or Bellingham to import back to Canada. Everything is way cheaper down there, though given the strength of our poo poo dollar you'll probably break even.

Have you considered going with the pickup/camper option? It'd probably be easier and cheaper to get a decent 4x4 system, and all of your amenities without having to convert a van only to get stuck on some logging road in Hope because your Econoline doesn't have the ground clearance.

Also, where are you planning on going with this thing?

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 4, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cultural Imperial posted:

Seriously rime at this point I think it's just easier and cheaper for you to just squat in the woods.

He'll already be doing that at least once a day anyway, what with the toilet-less van :v:

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Rime posted:

Is that for sprinters, or for any cargo van at all???

I know that sprinters are bizarrely expensive here in the US, even when they are beat to poo poo, but it's hard to picture paying that for an old Ford.

My '99 E350 (106k miles, almost no rust) cost $3500, and came with $500 worth of nearly new aux batteries and a beat up hightop already installed... and I still feel like I didn't get that great of a deal.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Something like that absolutely must happen. Since Canada doesn't have a national bird, I recommend a provincial equivalent.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

New Brunswick has a loving official soil. This is an educational list.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Alberta's mineral being petrified wood is close to being poignant, while Quebec's flower being an iris instead of a lily is entirely confusing.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Whoa, crazy week. Actually started looking for gainful employment again since waiting for EI is pretty boring.

The van market here remains crap. A decent looking '97 Dodge Ram 2500 showed up for $3k, and only 72k on the clock, however it's so cheap that it's honestly concerning and it's an extended body so I'm not too keen on the size. I'm checking it out on the weekend anyways, mainly because this showed up recently.

Also on track to get my drivers license by the end of the month, which is rather central to this whole plan. :v:

Rime fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 10, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Does it have to be a bird?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

The prices in this town. :negative:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mobby_6kl posted:

Does it have to be a bird?
Well, it's specifically a screenshot from Breaker Breaker. So not only is it 4x4 as requested by the OP, it's driven by Mr Carlos Ray Norris.

And yes, it has to be "a bird". :911:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rime posted:

Holy gently caress me, in what universe is that van in fair condition?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Looks like it hit a moose

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Looks like it hit a moose

For a van that hit a moose, it's in fair condition.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

PT6A posted:

Holy gently caress me, in what universe is that van in fair condition?

Eh, all of that will buff out.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Rime posted:

I'm confused; there seems to be lots of vans in western Canada for reasonable prices; why not get it inspected, and go pick it up?

Or, just buy this local to you extended e350 for $5500?

http://www.autotrader.ca/result/AdDetailInfo.aspx?srcID=19&frnID=8982760

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Blitter posted:

I'm confused; there seems to be lots of vans in western Canada for reasonable prices; why not get it inspected, and go pick it up?

Or, just buy this local to you extended e350 for $5500?

http://www.autotrader.ca/result/AdDetailInfo.aspx?srcID=19&frnID=8982760

This is a 20 year old van with 244,000 kilometers. A $600 van at auctions here.

Looking through the auction results for the local auctions here, for that same price, you can get an 08-12 chevy with 150,000kms. For $8000, you could get a 2012 ford passenger van with 50,000kms.

This is stuff from the auction in edmonton on september 27th.

This should go between $2000 and $4500. there are 4-5 similar ones there.
http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYEG_Detail.aspx?Link=18/9/2015%5Edc5b437814ed4fea88d014fe2bcd9e7c

These things used to go for ~$6000 a year or two ago, you're obviously not getting too deep into the woods with it, but it's the only option that will see over 20mpg ever
http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYEG_Detail.aspx?Link=18/9/2015%5E74a984a56e494863addc4ed1987d7046

and hey, what's this? it's a low mile AWD dutch door safari! I would expect between $3000 and $5000
http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYEG_Detail.aspx?Link=18/9/2015%5Eff5743407b76481093c770770bf194a5

edit: bonus. it's one of the last vehicles of the day, so it should go cheaper, and going through the truck lanes so you can bid online. It's meant to be.

Don't you want to tell your kids about that time you bought a van at auction 10 hours away sight unseen, and took a 24 hour bus right through the mountains with a license plate in your pocket and drove it back?

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

My family had an awd astro van with the dutch doors years back.

The thing was an absolute turd. Awd never worked right, and the repair bills were loving insane.

I've never seen my father give up on something like he did with that van, the guy is stubborn as all hell and he dropped it like it was on fire.

Given the choice, I'd look elsewhere.

• Locked thread