Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

I work in MD as a programmer and happened upon a pretty uncomfortable situation in a meeting with a higher up. In this meeting we were discussing the next cycle of development (i think 5 of us) and the "higher up" mentioned some reward if the team gets the next cycle done on time. He mentioned this reward to the team (basically a trip somewhere) and then said: "I'll even bring you're sorry rear end" to me. Now I dunno why he chose to say this, I've done a great job according to my direct boss, even got a raise a few months in and this higher up guy doesnt even know my name as far as I know, and knows nothing about me. Now normally, this kind of thing wouldn't bother me at all - its just banter between colleagues/friends or whatever. But over a week or so I just can't stop thinking about it - it frustrates me that he talked to me in this manner in a professional setting in front of other people when he's basically never even had a conversation with me before. There have been other issues I've had with the workplace, mainly about how I've seen a different managers in the company treat another employee who happened to be Indian with an incredible amount of disrespect and unfairness for no reason that I can think of other than the fact that he was indian. Never anything specifically racist, just treating him like poo poo, giving him a hard time for asking questions, etc. He was later fired for finally speaking up when he was made to be frustrated enough to not keep his cool.

All this and other uncomfortable but never explicit discriminations have really got me not wanting to work for this place anymore. I know the laws in maryland concerning employee rights are basically nothing (right to work), so is there anything I can do about this other than stick with it and hopefully find employment somewhere else, then leave? I read some of the online docs on workers rights in maryland but it seems the only way you can actually legally defend yourself is if the harassment was based on something like race/sexuality/etc. Do I have any options? I feel like its only going to get worse from what I've seen here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Being an rear end in a top hat is not illegal. If you don't think you can work it out with that boss, then, yeah, maybe you need to move on. I wouldn't want to work in that environment either, that would be hurtful and upsetting to almost anyone.

The other thing that comes to mind is that it's not healthy to be dwelling on that comment for a week afterwards. If you find yourself doing that often, you may want to speak to a counselor and see if you're a candidate for some sort of cognitive therapy.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Your bosses boss is a racist ahole. Document it so you can sue them when you quit or they fire you. That comment is illegal especially if there is history of racism. Winning anything is another matter but document document document. If your company is big enough file a complaint with HR. If you get fired even more ammo in court.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

File a complaint with HR for what he said to you. Look at your employee handbook also. I would guess that it is against policy to say something like that to another employee.

stickykeys
Sep 9, 2015
Don't complain to HR unless it's part of a plan to sue your employer later on and become unemployable. HR will do nothing especially against a 'higher up' and you will be branded a trouble maker.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I don't think you become unemployable, depending on industry. Maybe unemployable in that area, but if you're suing, the money should net you enough to move somewhere else.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

No Butt Stuff posted:

I don't think you become unemployable, depending on industry. Maybe unemployable in that area, but if you're suing, the money should net you enough to move somewhere else.
If my HR department can't take the time to do a circuit clerk search on a prospective hire, then they are total fuckups. Why would any company hire someone who sued a former employer, with cause or not?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Because they are a good candidate? I would probably ask the person about it, or see if I could get a hold of some case information, but it's not a deal breaker for all companies.

I might lean against them versus an identical, non-sue-you candidate, but I wouldn't blacklist them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008
I had to go through something a lot like this once.

Long story short, suck it up and move on. Something that is a bit trivial like this will ruin your future at that company if you take any action.

Situations like this pretty much favors the offender if they are your superior. Johnny Law requires a repeated history of harassment offenses before they step in. Also, you need the willingness of the Company to be proactive for you. Companies are usually unwilling to fire upper management unless forced to do so. This situation gives your superior a lot of room to quietly gently caress with you. Basically, the offender will receive a series of hand-slaps before getting hit with the hammer.

I was in a meeting with three other coworkers. It was me, my equal counterpart, our boss and his (Executive level) boss. The Exec. and I had a strictly professional relationship for many years. It was clear to the both of us that we were not friends. Very early on I found his personal views and morals very suspect and offensive. Over the years, parts of our conversations involved small reminders (mostly me reminding him) that personal info and personal conversation was out of bounds.

During the meeting, the Exec. got a little heated at me and said a few useless lines to me in a very demeaning way. Then he added "You know what!? I'm more of a man than you are! I'm more man than you ever will be! My balls are definitely bigger than yours." I fired back saying "gently caress you, don't you ever dare bring up anything personal like that. Besides, I fought through two wars so idiots can have opinions like that but sexual and personal poo poo like that does not belong in the workplace!" He made certain to clearly state everything again and that his intent was a personal attack. All of this right in front of two of our coworkers. I told them that the meeting was over and I'm leaving.

He tried to have me fired for leaving the meeting. I made it clear I wanted HR and a Union Rep. to meet with me so that I could file harassment charges.

In the end, all I got was a verbal apology and he got a harassment warning on his record. I fought to have him fired for the incident. Instead, he got a quiet nod from our CEO to do as he pleased but to tread lightly doing it. He made it his priority to see my career there to stall out and come to an end.

This is the type of poo poo that unfolds into newsworthy workplace violence. Eventually, I chose to quit before I did something newsworthy.

• Locked thread