Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo
Problem description: I recently built a new pc and everything appears to be working fine, with one issue: When I startup the computer with the Netgear WNDA4100 Wifi USB adapter inserted, it pauses at the ASRock bios screen for 20 seconds to 1 minute, then begins to load normally. Since I have an SSD, a normal startup time is only a few seconds. Once windows loads, the USB ports "crash" and restart. The mouse/keyboard work fine after the restart, but the Netgear Adapter will not work unless I unplug it and plug it back in.

I would say I'm 95% certain it's related to the Netgear hardware, as it has never done this without it plugged in, but has done it the majority of the time with it plugged in. For no apparent reason, it will work sometimes. It's more likely to work on a restart than a cold boot, and is more likely to work on a cold boot if I restart it quickly after shutting down. Neither of these are full proof though and sometimes it will work several times in a row for me, as it's doing right now when I need it to give me the error message. Because of that, I don't have the exact wording, but it's something along the lines of: "The USB device has failed to initialize...".

It's hard to estimate how often I get the issue. It only happens at startup, and only sometimes. When I first encountered the problem, it happened 100% of the time. Now it's closer to 50% I'd guess.

Attempted fixes: I have tried a different usb port (was originally in a USB 3.0 port, moved it to USB 2.0). I have verified the USB 3.0 ports work fine with other devices. I have reinstalled the drivers for the Netgear USB Adapter (first uninstalling them by going to the hardware in device manager and clicking uninstall). I have updated my BIOS as well as every driver that ASRock had listed for the mobo. I have also tried to use another WNDA4100 which I had on my other pc. Both the "old" one and the "new" one work fine on my computer, and both have the same issue on the new computer. I have tried it with and without the USB "extender" that it comes with, but there's no change in the behavior. Early on I enabled "Fast boot" in the BIOS thinking maybe the delay was intentional. I haven't changed it back since I discovered the issue.

Recent changes: N/A, as it was a newly built pc and the Netgear USB was the first installation.

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1 home, 64 bit

System specs:

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. I haven't been able to find anyone else with this issue, but maybe I'm googling the wrong phrase.

The easy answer is to take it back and get something else I guess since I think it's still within the return period, but like a dummy I threw away the box.

Annnnd I forgot to pick an icon for the thread. Damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

The easy answer is to take it back and get something else I guess since I think it's still within the return period, but like a dummy I threw away the box.

If you threw away the box then the only options are further diagnosis yourself (what happens when it's not plugged in wrt startup, what happens on a family/friends pc when you try it out on theirs?). Or, try warranty RMA it direct to dist/man sans box for repair/replacement.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

Fo3 posted:

If you threw away the box then the only options are further diagnosis yourself (what happens when it's not plugged in wrt startup, what happens on a family/friends pc when you try it out on theirs?). Or, try warranty RMA it direct to dist/man sans box for repair/replacement.

When the Wifi isn't plugged in, it starts up fine in every test I've had. It also works fine on my other PC. In fact, the one that was originally not working is still on my PC with no problems, and the one that was on my PC is on the new one and having issues. So I don't think it's a defective unit as much as something about the hardware or the drivers doesn't like the new PC. Same operating system for both computers, but hardware is all different.

• Locked thread