Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Bedlamdan posted:

The Glaive looks nothing like the Yellow Sign AAAAAAa

I always wondered how the Yellow Sign drove men mad. Now I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Helical Nightmares posted:

I always wondered how the Yellow Sign drove men mad. Now I know.

:3: nyohoho

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I played a bunch of Japanese tabletop RPGs in Japan and I was all starry-eyed with the idea of taking a bunch of the books back and starting up a small group here in my new town to try out the systems. We would meet once a month and try out a one-shot on a different system, the month between giving me time to translate enough of the system that they picked for character creation and then the rest of the rules I would explain verbally as we played. I figured it would be a pretty easy thing to do. Sadly I've been here for about a month, posted up ads in the various roleplayer hangouts/various local messageboards/even Craigslist and out of the 4 people I would need I've gotten all of 1.

At this point I'm about ready to give up and just make a group with 4 goons and do it over Skype instead, sacrificing meeting actual people in real life to actually being able to do this an justify the hundreds I spent on getting together a collection of Japanese RPG books.

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013

Getsuya posted:

I played a bunch of Japanese tabletop RPGs in Japan and I was all starry-eyed with the idea of taking a bunch of the books back and starting up a small group here in my new town to try out the systems. We would meet once a month and try out a one-shot on a different system, the month between giving me time to translate enough of the system that they picked for character creation and then the rest of the rules I would explain verbally as we played. I figured it would be a pretty easy thing to do. Sadly I've been here for about a month, posted up ads in the various roleplayer hangouts/various local messageboards/even Craigslist and out of the 4 people I would need I've gotten all of 1.

At this point I'm about ready to give up and just make a group with 4 goons and do it over Skype instead, sacrificing meeting actual people in real life to actually being able to do this an justify the hundreds I spent on getting together a collection of Japanese RPG books.

please do

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You should do some writeups for FATAL & Friends :D

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Getsuya posted:

Have you tried going to anime con/hangouts as well? They are in my experience more likely to play Japanese/Japanese-inspired tabletops than normal RPers.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Getsuya posted:

I would be very interested in this.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Elfgames posted:

I would be very interested in this.

If nothing's come of my local efforts by the time I get the packages that contain all my RP books (probably mid Oct) then yes I will post a looking for group request here.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

best of luck with the livegame thing, but if it doesn't work i'm totes interested in a skypething too because i'm a huge weeb

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://w.webms.org/wYf6zb8w.webm

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

This might be worth looking into. What's it called?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

paradoxGentleman posted:

This might be worth looking into. What's it called?

Overlord, Funimation has it on streaming.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Watch the first 9 episodes then switch to the light novel.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Actually you know what forget waiting to see what happens. 4 locals I manage to scrape together are probably never going to be as fun to play with or as easy to organize (trying to get everyone physically in the same location) as a bunch of cool goons would be over Skype so let's just do this thing. I'll come up with a looking for group post that can also serve as the OOC storage thread for character sheets and random chatter and stuff. I still won't be able to get things started until I actually have all the books with me, but I can at least get the ball rolling. It's not like missing out on one more RP group locally is a huge social sacrifice. I get plenty of social interaction regardless.

Ningyou posted:

best of luck with the livegame thing, but if it doesn't work i'm totes interested in a skypething too because i'm a huge weeb

The weebier the better. I need people who don't just like anime, they need to like all kinds of anime. I need people who don't mind playing a gory psychological thriller game one month, a cutesy non-violent game where everyone's a mary-sue schoolkid the next, and a complicated high fantasy game the one after that, and actually enjoy each of them and the anime tropes they celebrate.

The original reason I shied away from starting this group on SA was that I wasn't sure how I was going to handle some of the games. 3 of the games involve drawing cards rather than rolling dice, 2 of them involve character creation and story progression using tarot cards, etc. I'm not sure how we're going to work that over Skype or even using any of the normal online tabletop simulators, most of which are based around dice only from what I know. But I mean that can be a question we figure out in the interim while I'm waiting on the books to come.

Zephirum posted:

You should do some writeups for FATAL & Friends :D

That's an awesome idea! I probably won't have the time or patience to write up any insanely detailed breakdowns of the systems, but after we play each one I would like to drop into that thread and lay down some impressions and talk about the parts of the system and setting I found interesting. I would also encourage the players to join in the discussion and talk about what they thought of the systems as well.

Edit: Actually 3 of them involve using Tarot cards to play, and I'm pretty sure all 3 have their own specific special tarot cards that come with the games and don't match up 1:1 with real Tarot cards.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I would probably be down for trying one of those games. I'm always up for giving weird different things a shot.

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013

Getsuya posted:

Actually you know what forget waiting to see what happens. 4 locals I manage to scrape together are probably never going to be as fun to play with or as easy to organize (trying to get everyone physically in the same location) as a bunch of cool goons would be over Skype so let's just do this thing. I'll come up with a looking for group post that can also serve as the OOC storage thread for character sheets and random chatter and stuff. I still won't be able to get things started until I actually have all the books with me, but I can at least get the ball rolling. It's not like missing out on one more RP group locally is a huge social sacrifice. I get plenty of social interaction regardless.

The weebier the better. I need people who don't just like anime, they need to like all kinds of anime. I need people who don't mind playing a gory psychological thriller game one month, a cutesy non-violent game where everyone's a mary-sue schoolkid the next, and a complicated high fantasy game the one after that, and actually enjoy each of them and the anime tropes they celebrate.

The original reason I shied away from starting this group on SA was that I wasn't sure how I was going to handle some of the games. 3 of the games involve drawing cards rather than rolling dice, 2 of them involve character creation and story progression using tarot cards, etc. I'm not sure how we're going to work that over Skype or even using any of the normal online tabletop simulators, most of which are based around dice only from what I know. But I mean that can be a question we figure out in the interim while I'm waiting on the books to come.

That's an awesome idea! I probably won't have the time or patience to write up any insanely detailed breakdowns of the systems, but after we play each one I would like to drop into that thread and lay down some impressions and talk about the parts of the system and setting I found interesting. I would also encourage the players to join in the discussion and talk about what they thought of the systems as well.

Edit: Actually 3 of them involve using Tarot cards to play, and I'm pretty sure all 3 have their own specific special tarot cards that come with the games and don't match up 1:1 with real Tarot cards.

You can input cards into roll20.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
For those who were interested:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744664

Let's get this Japanese rpg tryout group started.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wow, apparently I haven't been paying attention, but my favorite game HeroScape is apparently back as an MtG tie-in? Holy poo poo.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

dwarf74 posted:

Wow, apparently I haven't been paying attention, but my favorite game HeroScape is apparently back as an MtG tie-in? Holy poo poo.

I just looked up HeroScape and that sounds amazing, but I'm not seeing any connection to Magic?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Carrasco posted:

I just looked up HeroScape and that sounds amazing, but I'm not seeing any connection to Magic?

They came out with a game called Arena of the Planeswalkers which takes a lot of its mechanics from HeroScape.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, it's apparently not totally compatible, which is a shame, but still all of a sudden I want to pull out my bins of terrain and figures. I bought heavily into HeroScape about 10 years ago, including like 5 extra master sets when Toys R Us was clearancing them out. (Wish I'd kept some new in box because apparently they are worth money now.)

It's a fun game. Takes forever to set up the board, but it's a quick and easy minis wargame/boardgame.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Wasn't HeroClix something of a spiritual successor the HeroScape, just sans board and with supers instead of fantasy?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Hey why the hell has nobody made the october thread over a week into the month?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
rip tradgames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
What about this October chat thread? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744518

• Locked thread