Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

noice

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Subyng posted:

We can categorize things as being good or bad without having to invoke the "nature" argument. For example, pollution, depletion of natural resources, destruction of environments and the extinction of species are all "bad" (from our perspective anyway, in the cosmic sense it's all the same poo poo), whether or not these activities are "natural" should never be part of the discussion.

Beep Boop I have spent so long in-front of a computer that I can no longer see things in non-binary terms.

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

DC snypah

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Beef Turret posted:

The nature argument is useful since humanity adapted to wild nature, not to modernity. It's you who arbitrarily disassembles everything into constituent parts until they seem interchangeable

Why can't we just decide whether something is beneficial or harmful without using nature as part of the argument? Take chemicals, for example. Chemical toxicity is not black and white and has no relation to whether those chemicals can occur in "nature" or must be synthesized by humans. All chemicals are toxic given the right amount. It's much more useful to know about the specific properties of those chemicals than to divide them into naturally-occurring and artificial, two meaningless qualifiers.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

solaranus posted:

Beep Boop I have spent so long in-front of a computer that I can no longer see things in non-binary terms.

??? Natural vs. artificial is seeing things in binary terms which I am arguing against...

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
Magick is not natural - in fact to alter reality by force of will is the very definition of "against nature"

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i ll smoke weed with you op

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Subyng posted:

??? Natural vs. artificial is seeing things in binary terms which I am arguing against...

Natural vs. artificial presents a spectrum i.e. objects can be compared relative to each other.

You're saying crank that poo poo all the way to natural for everything because everything is at least a tiny bit natural.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

SirEvelynTremble posted:

Magick is not natural - in fact to alter reality by force of will is the very definition of "against nature"

woah well said

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
dont challenge the groupthink OP

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

PIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Now google solipsism and try to marry the concepts of free will and cause and effect. :catdrugs:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
and of course you are literally correct but thats not what is meant by the terms as they are more labels for groups with similar characteristics, although it is very often used in a loving stupid way, thats another issue entirely

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser
I must be gay because I used this exact line on my family during a car ride to make my brother feel better about his muscle worship fetish he keeps telling literally everyone he meets about

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Now google solipsism and try to marry the concepts of free will and cause and effect. :catdrugs:

i RFUSE TO MARRY THESE GAYS

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Everything is unnatural. Previously the universe existed as nothing, but then everything existed violating natural the laws of thermodynamics. Why would you ever describe something as natural?

Split Pea Superman fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 4, 2015

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser

solaranus posted:

Everything is unnatural. Previously the universe existed as nothing, but then everything existed violating the natural laws of thermodynamics. Why would you ever describe something as natural?

science is the human art of naming observable processes and predicting future events hope this h's

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

basement jihadist posted:

i RFUSE TO MARRY THESE GAYS

You'll marry them both and you'll like it young man!

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Subyng posted:

Why can't we just decide whether something is beneficial or harmful without using nature as part of the argument? Take chemicals, for example. Chemical toxicity is not black and white and has no relation to whether those chemicals can occur in "nature" or must be synthesized by humans. All chemicals are toxic given the right amount. It's much more useful to know about the specific properties of those chemicals than to divide them into naturally-occurring and artificial, two meaningless qualifiers.

There are many reasons why the distinction between artificial and natural is useful. Take attribution. Technological innovations are good in some ways and bad in others, and while the good is obvious and direct, the bad is often indirect and not obvious, e.g. many diseases like poliovirus became as virulent as they did because of the rise of the civilization of Egypt, as a consequence of overcrowding. AIDS originated in Leopoldville, an over-crammed slave state. Few viruses could spread or evolve among sparse populations of hunter-gatherer bands. If the ancients had known this in time many modern diseases would never have existed. So in addressing the underlying causes of the discomforts of modern life, drawing these distinctions is vital.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 4, 2015

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
the natural state of this thread is the gas chamber

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Each of us shall give birth to a billion stars formed from the mass of our wretched and filthy bodies.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Broenheim posted:

the natural state of this thread is the natural gas chamber

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Broenheim posted:

the natural state of this thread is the gas chamber

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
similar to how a cucumber is a fruit in a biological sense and a vegetable in a culinary sense, words can have multiple contextual meanings, op :)

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
its tautological given a reasonably loose definition of nature, i mean, me, if a faerie came through a portal and threw a +1 anything at me, i'd just have to be like "oh okay so faeries portals and enchanted items are natural okay"

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot

Ocean Book posted:

similar to how a cucumber is a fruit in a biological sense and a vegetable in a culinary sense, words can have multiple contextual meanings, op :)

op wont get it

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Hello, OP, I too disregard the other 30-odd definitions of the word natural that appear in Webster's Dictionary. Seriously, gently caress Webster, words only mean one thing.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

i like natural raspberry ketone

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

nature abhors a vacuum

ergo vacuums are unnatural.

and you sure do suck

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Beef Turret posted:

There are many reasons why the distinction between artificial and natural is useful. Take attribution. Technological innovations are good in some ways and bad in others, and while the good is obvious and direct, the bad is often indirect and not obvious, e.g. many diseases like poliovirus became as virulent as they did because of the rise of the civilization of Egypt, as a consequence of overcrowding. AIDS originated in Leopoldville, an over-crammed slave state. Few viruses could spread or evolve among sparse populations of hunter-gatherer bands. If the ancients had known this in time many modern diseases would never have existed. So in addressing the underlying causes of the discomforts of modern life, drawing these distinctions is vital.

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007
unnatural

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
human consciousness has evolved in a way that allows us to understand we will one day die

this is unnatural and something no other animal has to endure

i mean i'm cool with it, but i hear other people have problems

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
I'm pretty sure other animals are aware that they will die, certainly other apes are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
op's mom enjoys natural truth bombs on her face

• Locked thread