Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welcome earthlings to the Awful Book of the Month!
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM me. :siren:

Past Books of the Month
2011:
January: John Keats, Endymion
Febuary/March: Miguel Cervantes, Don Quixote
April: Laurell K. Hamilton, Obsidian Butterfly
May: Richard A. Knaak - Diablo #1: Legacy of Blood
June: Pamela Britton - On The Move
July: Raymond Chandler - The Big Sleep
August: Louis L'Amour - Bendigo Shafter
September: Ian Fleming - Moonraker
October: Ray Bradbury - Something Wicked This Way Comes
November: John Ringo - Ghost
December: James Branch Cabell - Jurgen

2012:
January: G.K. Chesterton - The Man Who Was Thursday
Febuary: M. Somerset Maugham - Of Human Bondage
March: Joseph Heller - Catch-22
April: Zack Parsons - Liminal States
May: Haruki Murakami - Norwegian Wood
June: James Joyce - Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
July: William S. Burroughs - Naked Lunch
August: William Faulkner - The Sound & The Fury
September/October: Leo Tolstoy - War & Peace
November: David Mitchell - Cloud Atlas
December: Kurt Vonnegut - Mother Night

January: Walter M. Miller - A Canticle for Liebowitz
Febuary: Alfred Bester - The Stars My Destination
March: Kazuo Ishiguro - Remains Of The Day
April: Don Delillo - White Noise
May: Anton LeVey - The Satanic Bible
June/July: Susanna Clarke - Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
August: Michael Swanwick - Stations of the Tide
September: John Wyndham - Day of the Triffids
October: Shirley Jackson - The Haunting of Hill House
November: Iain Banks - The Wasp Factory
December: Roderick Thorp - Nothing Lasts Forever

2014:
January: Ursula K. LeGuin - The Left Hand of Darkness
February: Mikhail Bulgalov - Master & Margarita
March: Richard P. Feynman -- Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!
April: James Joyce -- Dubliners
May: Gabriel Garcia Marquez -- 100 Years of Solitude
June: Howard Zinn -- A People's History of the United States
July: Mary Renault -- The Last of the Wine
August: Barbara Tuchtman -- The Guns of August
September: Jane Austen -- Pride and Prejudice
October: Roger Zelazny -- A Night in the Lonesome October
November: John Gardner -- Grendel
December: Christopher Moore -- The Stupidest Angel

2015:
January: Italo Calvino -- Invisible Cities
February: Karl Ove Knausgaard -- My Struggle: Book 1.
March: Knut Hamsun -- Hunger
April: Liu Cixin -- 三体 ( The Three-Body Problem)
May: John Steinbeck -- Cannery Row
[url=http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3723739&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post446887688]June: Truman Capote -- In Cold Blood

(Hiatus)
August: Ta-Nehisi Coates -- Between the World and Me

Current:

Wilkie Collins -- The Moonstone

Free on Kindle:http://www.amazon.com/The-Moonstone-Wilkie-Collins-ebook/dp/B0084AYI92
(also free on Project Gutenberg)

quote:

T. S. Eliot described The Moonstone as "the first and greatest of English detective novels". It is certainly a landmark in the history of crime fiction and has a strong claim to having established detective fiction as a genre. It influenced Collins's successors from Trollope and Conan Doyle onwards and has set the standard by which other detective novels are judged. During its serialisation in All the Year Round there were crowds of anxious readers outside the publishers' offices in Wellington Street waiting for the next instalment. Like The Woman in White, it has never been out of print.

http://www.wilkie-collins.info/wilkie_collins_biography.htm

I think people will like this one. It's probably the first "modern" detective novel, and it really is surprisingly modern in a lot of ways, not just in terms of tone but also in terms of technical tricks like multiple narrators, from different backgrounds, all writing from their individual and distinct point of view. There's also a lot of social commentary implicit in the text, some of it surprisingly modern in its viewpoint. (On the other hand, some of it doesn't come off so well from a modern viewpoint, either).

More importantly though it's just a hell of a story. Parts may seem a little hackneyed but remember he's inventing the tropes.

corn in the bible posted:

I was in Italy once, in this little backwater town out in the middle of nowhere, and the bookstore had exactly one book in English, which was Wilkie Collins's The Moonstone.

About the Author

quote:

He lived an unconventional, Bohemian lifestyle, loved good food and wine to excess, wore flamboyant clothes, travelled abroad frequently, formed long-term relationships with two women but married neither, and took vast quantities of opium over many years to relieve the symptoms of ill health. Collins's circle of friends included many pre-eminent figures of the day. He knew the major writers, particularly Charles Dickens with whom he regularly collaborated, as well as a host of minor novelists. His friends and acquaintances included some of the foremost artists, playwrights, theatrical personalities, musicians, publishers, physicians and society figures of the time. Collins's unorthodox lifestyle reveals a cynical regard for the Victorian establishment. This view is reflected in his books together with a sense of humour and a profound understanding for many of the then prevailing social injustices.

http://www.wilkie-collins.info/wilkie_collins_biography.htm

Discussion, Questions & Themes:

quote:

After The Moonstone, Collins's novels contained fewer thriller elements and more social commentary. The subject matter continued to be sensational, but his popularity declined. The poet Algernon Charles Swinburne commented: "What brought good Wilkie's genius nigh perdition? / Some demon whispered—'Wilkie! have a mission."[22]

Pacing

Let's try to keep spoilers out of the thread until September 15th at least.

References and Further Reading

Wilkie is the narrator of Dan Simmon's novel Drood.

Final Note:

If you have any suggestions to change, improve or assess the book club generally, please PM or email me -- i.e., keep it out of this thread -- at least until into the last five days of the month, just so we don't derail discussion of the current book with meta-discussion. I do want to hear new ideas though, seriously, so please do actually PM or email me or whatever, or if you can't do either of those things, just hold that thought till the last five days of the month before posting it in this thread. Thanks, and I hope everyone enjoys the book!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I must admit that I was really into the first part of the novel while I was travelling. Then I had a break and when I got back to book I started the second section and I never adjusted properly. So, confession: I never finished it. Did anyone else find that transition difficult?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I must admit that I was really into the first part of the novel while I was travelling. Then I had a break and when I got back to book I started the second section and I never adjusted properly. So, confession: I never finished it. Did anyone else find that transition difficult?

I think he does such a good job with the first narrator that the shift to the second one takes a little to get used to. It's worth making the attempt to dive back in though.

Anyway, found this:

quote:

One of the features that made The Moonstone such a success was the sensationalist depiction of opium addiction. Unbeknownst to his readership, Collins was writing from personal experience. In his later years, Collins grew severely addicted to laudanum and as a result suffered from paranoid delusions, the most notable being his conviction that he was constantly accompanied by a doppelganger he dubbed "Ghost Wilkie".

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think he does such a good job with the first narrator that the shift to the second one takes a little to get used to. It's worth making the attempt to dive back in though.

Thanks for raising Moonstone. It reminds me that I should really go back and finish it. I guess the break in my reading happened at just the wrong place.

Conan Doyle set some Sherlock stories around opium dens a little later than Collins. But I guess the Romantics dabbled in laudanum (esp. Quincy and Coleridge) and Poe benefited from flirting with opium also - and they came before Collins. I guess there are plenty books on that aspect of literature.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I read this a couple of years ago and it completely caught me off-guard: when you think early detective novel, you don't exactly imagine you'd be surprised by whodunit. Looking forward to rereading it now.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

quote:

Collins quickly fell into Dickens’s orbit. . . . . It is tempting to see the strangely bonded doppelgängers who populate Collins’s fiction as reflecting something of his own relationship with Dickens. Collins became Dickens’s most trusted friend, a frequent house guest and travelling companion. Dickens found Collins’s aura of louche bohemianism liberating. His letters to Collins often contain sly sexual innuendo, and the pair went on midnight tours of the disreputable corners of London and Paris. In 1857, while acting in a play by Collins, Dickens fell in love with the young actress Ellen Ternan, who became his lover. Soon, he was proposing that he and Collins collaborate on “The Lazy Tour of Two Idle Apprentices” (recently reprinted by Hesperus; $13.95)—a humorous account of a walking tour through Cumberland, whose itinerary provided cover for Dickens as he trailed Ternan.

quote:

Still, in his own fashion, Collins did manage to get to the top of the mountain. The fact that his work could be imitated says something about its fidelity to a strain of human experience, and about his method of describing that experience, which is plainspoken and radically inclusive. In the same way that everyone in Collins’s stories becomes his own detective—spying, dressing up, intercepting mail—so everyone also becomes his own explainer. Nannies, servants, gentlemen, ladies, the wronged, the robbed, and the guilty all contribute to Collins’s narrative. This makes the books feel, for all the old contrivances of plot, a mirror of contemporary reality. Collins anticipated an age in which everyone is a writer.

Henry James, who, like Collins, understood that all stories are about writers as well as readers—and that stories about writers are really ghost stories—credited Collins with “having introduced into fiction those most mysterious of mysteries, the mysteries which are at our own doors.” For James, this domestication gave “a new impetus to the literature of horrors,” but it also gave a new impetus to the modern novel itself, where the secrets of husbands and wives and lovers, not to mention the public self and the shadow self, would assume center stage.

(Source article contains Moonstone spoilers so I'll post the link later).

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 5, 2015

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

So should I avoid this thread until I have finished the book because of spoilers?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Let's try to keep spoilers out of the thread until September 15th at least.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Thanks. I didn't whether or not to come back the thread to read the answer to "Should I avoid the thread?". :ohdear: I guess that must be some kind of logic problem in Philosophy 101.

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
I really enjoyed the women in white when I read it a few years ago, hope this is even better. E: started reading, this book makes me want to read ROBINSON CRUSOE.

Lumius fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 7, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Nobody has anything else to say? =(

Also, we need suggestions for next month.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I'll be starting this one soon!

For a book for next month: the man booker prize shortlist came out recently, perhaps one of them? Elena Ferranta her series has also been getting some buzz lately?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Walh Hara posted:

I'll be starting this one soon!

For a book for next month: the man booker prize shortlist came out recently, perhaps one of them? Elena Ferranta her series has also been getting some buzz lately?

A Brief History of Seven Killings would be an adventure, but I doubt this subforum has the stamina for it.

If last month taught us anything, its that a book that fosters discussion is the key to a successful book club thread.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Mel Mudkiper posted:

A Brief History of Seven Killings would be an adventure, but I doubt this subforum has the stamina for it.

If last month taught us anything, its that a book that fosters discussion is the key to a successful book club thread.

Yeah can't be bothered with Moonstone, but of the shortlist Seven Killings is the only one I bought because it sounds the most interesting.

(plus it was 7 bucks)

EDIT: So I guess my submissions are that, or Submission (quite timely vis a vis Europe).

thehomemaster fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Sep 16, 2015

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I read the Moonstone some years ago and it was awesome. Takes a bit to get used to the writing but it's got a great twist. It's the next evolution of detective novel, once everyone figured out that you just make the least likely character the culprit. I recommend anyone on the fence give it a shot.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That and a book that people want to read. Can y'all talk up your suggestions a bit?

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

quote:

Michel Houellebecq's Submission: Author says novel imagining Muslim-run France is not Islamophobic scare story

Rustle some jimmies imo.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

That and a book that people want to read. Can y'all talk up your suggestions a bit?

I think the problem with a mystery is that nobody wants to come into the thread unless they're done because they want to avoid the possibility of spoilers

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah it's fair enough that people want to avoid spoilers, and I will admit that I found the initial part of the book easier to handle than the second part. But it's still a great read, and it's easy to see the DNA that was later used for most mystery novels. Difference is that Collins was looser and the novel more sprawling, but that's what gives it character. Take some of that stuff out and you essentially have an Agatha Christie book.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I had to wait until I'd finished my library books and then dig out the box with all the mystery novels! My edition is the 1946 Literary Guild edition, with lovely illustrations by William Sharp, so it was a nice read. Actually, a re-read, because I've had this book, in one version or another, for several decades.

I like the different perspectives to the case and the use of diaries and reports, which technique was, of course, used by the likes of Bram Stoker and H.P. Lovecraft. Having different voices present the evidence works well for me.
I admit that the first time I read this, I suspected the perpetrator based entirely on the initial description of him. Not because I'm super-smart and detective-y, but as a teenager living in foster care, that type of person was inevitably a nasty creep. Therefore, he's guilty. Which is not a reasoned judgement even if I was right.
The Miss Clack narrative was perhaps the most "difficult" for me, because I despise that sort of person soooo much.
A bit of good ol' English "but he looks weird, you guys!".
Also, the general "can't let the Indians have it because now that we stole it it's ours forever and the rightful owners aren't allowed to steal it right back from us" attitude, even, supposedly, from the Bombay Police. Their religion is weird, so they can't have their property back.
Jennings and Murthwaite were the only ones with any real sense. Cuff was pretty good, but let his one bias interfere, so he loses points there.

Also, I hate writing book reports. :p

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Just finished this. Great book. I didn't like Jennings part at all, simply because I felt that part to be too predictable and unnecessary. There was not much progression in the story during the part he wrote, the only thing that happens is that something is proven which was obviously true (for us, the readers) in the first place. Otherwise the story was really appealing to me and the mystery was well done, although lacking a bit in the number of suspects. The thing I liked the most is that Cuff was wrong.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Any last minute suggestions for the poll for next month before I scrounge together something from the recent posts in the Recommendations thread?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Any last minute suggestions for the poll for next month before I scrounge together something from the recent posts in the Recommendations thread?

Something by Robertson Davies.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

xcheopis posted:

Something by Robertson Davies.

Ok, but he's been suggested before and included in polls and nobody bit. Which book and why should people read it?

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.
Man, I wish I'd seen this thread 25 days ago. Like Josef K. Sourdust I loved the first part but couldn't get on-board with the second. I chalk it up to Collins' skill actually. I really enjoyed the voice of the first narrator (and, ya, it made me want to read Robinson Caruso) but found the second insufferable. So points for distinctive, realistic voices.

Unfortunately, I started reading this because I read ]Drood -- a profoundly kick rear end novel in its own right but it totally gives away the twist in Moonstone.

Between the less enjoyable narrator and having zero suspense I just couldn't chug on. It's still on my "to read" list, though.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Ok, but he's been suggested before and included in polls and nobody bit. Which book and why should people read it?

High Spirits. It's short, it's funny, and it's good for a discussion on the merits of the ghost story. (I love ghost stories.)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

xcheopis posted:

A bit of good ol' English "but he looks weird, you guys!".
Also, the general "can't let the Indians have it because now that we stole it it's ours forever and the rightful owners aren't allowed to steal it right back from us" attitude, even, supposedly, from the Bombay Police. Their religion is weird, so they can't have their property back.

Oh, and this is my comment:

The real question I have about the book is the extent to which Collins was deliberately painting the Indian characters as heroes. To a modern reader they come across that way; they certainly seem to win in the end; but I'm not sure what message Wilkie was trying to send. Was he defending "natives" ? Implicitly critiquing colonialism? Just writing a good story that played on the doubts as to the validity of their colonial enterprise that even the most British Britisher must have, on some level, had? I don't know!

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Babyfucker by Urs Allemann

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

The real question I have about the book is the extent to which Collins was deliberately painting the Indian characters as heroes. To a modern reader they come across that way; they certainly seem to win in the end; but I'm not sure what message Wilkie was trying to send. Was he defending "natives" ? Implicitly critiquing colonialism? Just writing a good story that played on the doubts as to the validity of their colonial enterprise that even the most British Britisher must have, on some level, had? I don't know!

How common was the protest against colonialism for that time and amongst that social class?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Thus Spoke Zarathustra. Somebody said the best books for BoTM are ones that generate discussion and this one might do it? Plus I'm planning to read it soon anyway and I think many people still need to complete the "read a Philosophy book" challenge from the challenge thread.

Otherwise I'd prefer a book by a female author because my reading list has been way too male centric lately. As mentioned before, maybe the first book from the Neapolitano series? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neapolitan_Novels_%28series%29

edit: flowers for algernon is really good.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 27, 2015

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
It's banned books week next week and Amazon has a bunch of them on sale, so maybe one of those - Flowers for Algernon perhaps?

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=s9_al_ft_brwse?_encoding=UTF8&node=7533915011&tag=dreldarion-20

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
alternate plan: maybe we just make The Traitor Baru Cormorant next months' book since it's a Book Barn author and it's getting good reviews and so forth?

edit: hrm nah I need to do the poll don't I

Ok poll will go up later tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

To me it read that Collins was a little more sympathetic to their plight and was actually critiquing colonialism. But at the same time there's this thinly veiled stereotypical portrayal of the Indians that slightly undercuts that somewhat. Though it could be argued that he was just using the language and ideas of the time to do it. I remember thinking the opening in particular had a sort of 'Boys Own Adventure' feel to it that ends up being out of place with the rest of the book.

• Locked thread