Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dangersim posted:

gsp was better

I disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

that's fine, just my opinion

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Johnson's beard is way better than GSP's.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
GSP had weaknesses in his game even if the things he did well were enough to make up for it. DJ's skillset is just mindboggling.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Mechafunkzilla posted:

GSP had weaknesses in his game even if the things he did well were enough to make up for it. DJ's skillset is just mindboggling.

GSP's only weakness was that he didn't have KO power.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

GSP had weaknesses in his game

such as

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Being unable to finish Dan Hardy

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

He was a little predictable in his striking and could be timed. Didn't matter too much because people were so worried about the shot they were hesitant to move forward. I'm not saying he wasn't a great fighter, just that DJ impresses me the most.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Short, fat Italians

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I agree about mighty mouse, and his speed is crazy. but GSP was so dominant with takedowns, I mean Ive never really seen anything like that either. im not totally sure why theyre being compared right now

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
GSP's striking was limited and he compensated well by being one of the best wrestlers in his division and he fought mostly wrestlers. The best strikers he fought had pretty bad wrestling so he always had an obvious path to victory against most of his opponents. Johnson is a lot more diverse in his paths to victory and has a bigger arsenal to draw from. This is nitpicking though.

Edit: Johnson had a ton of success against larger fighters while training part time so there's that as well.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 6, 2015

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Tezcatlipoca posted:

GSP's striking was limited

crazy talk

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just watched that PPV in a tiny bar with Robin Black, Randa Markos, and Dennis Bermudez. Randa didn't blink during the strawweight fight. She seemed like she's thinking about how she's going to smash Van Zandt.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

crazy talk

Compared to Johnson's, I said I was nitpicking.

Presser has started.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

GSP/DJ/Silva, whatever. If streaks make for great champions, #1 is a tossup between Tim Sylvia and Yoel Romero.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

CommonShore posted:

GSP/DJ/Silva, whatever. If streaks make for great champions, #1 is a tossup between Tim Sylvia and Yoel Romero.

Wouldn't that be #2...

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

doodoo jokes

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'd still call Jon Jones better than DJ. Too bad about that whole coke thing

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Ginette Reno posted:

I'd still call Jon Jones better than DJ. Too bad about that whole coke thing

Jon Jones turns around and runs away from exchanges that don't go his way.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

for example, that one time he hit a pregnant woman and then ran away from the scene of the crime.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Uriah Faber was the prototype for the modern WMMA fighter.

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

She calls that the PTO.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
MM is out of this world good, but I always start dozing off around round 4 as if appears nothing surprising will happen at that point and the rest of the fight is a foregone conclusion.

His ability to throw strikes from every single position is incredible tho. Whether he was moving forward, sideways or backwards, he won practically every single exchange and avoided being hit at all in most of them. Still it was hard to stay awake since it ends up looking like he is sparring some chump.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

tesilential posted:

MM is out of this world good, but I always start dozing off around round 4 as if appears nothing surprising will happen at that point and the rest of the fight is a foregone conclusion.

You know like two of his three sub finishes as champion happened in round 5, right

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Performance Bonuses:

FOTN: Lineker/Rivera

POTN: Anthony Johnson, Racquel Pennington

Real happy for Pennington getting that bonus. On her birthday no less.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Johnson is always trying to finish. He looks for it tactically instead of forcing it though and he's better at finding finishes on the ground. I don't fault him for not finishing somebody who has never been stopped. He was clearly trying to but Dodson is really loving good.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Johnson is always trying to finish. He looks for it tactically instead of forcing it though and he's better at finding finishes on the ground. I don't fault him for not finishing somebody who has never been stopped. He was clearly trying to but Dodson is really loving good.

dodson rules. I missed the 1st round :( but in the second he still looked like himself, and between the two guys hes the better wrestler. but MM lit him up early in the third I think it was and Dodson was on his back foot for the rest of the fight. As I recall the first fight, Dodson knocked him down a few times and threw him down before MM took over in the final 3 rounds. so wow MM has gotten a lot better. Dodson looked better too because he didnt gas as much as he just got punched a lot. Mighty mouse was aggressive with the takedowns too even though they werent going anywhere

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bundt Cake posted:

dodson rules. I missed the 1st round :( but in the second he still looked like himself, and between the two guys hes the better wrestler. but MM lit him up early in the third I think it was and Dodson was on his back foot for the rest of the fight. As I recall the first fight, Dodson knocked him down a few times and threw him down before MM took over in the final 3 rounds. so wow MM has gotten a lot better. Dodson looked better too because he didnt gas as much as he just got punched a lot. Mighty mouse was aggressive with the takedowns too even though they werent going anywhere

The second round was (probably) the one which Dodson won on 2/3 cards. The 1st was clear for Johnson.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Dodson may be a better wrestler than DJ for a couple of rounds but he doesn't use it effectively. Johnson uses his wrestling better because it to open up offense in other areas. Since Mighty Mouse is always going between striking, clinching and takedowns he can keep constant offensive pressure on people. He may not get you down the first time he shoots but when it's the 4th round and you don't know whether he's going to elbow you in the face or switch from a single to a double leg or change his grips to throw a knee to your head then it doesn't really matter. His pressure and versatility are killer.

The biggest difference in this fight to the first one was that DJ was landing that lead right over and over. Dodson was being stunned or too busy defending while DJ was coming in to ever land his big left hand. Then Mighty Mouse would clinch and beat him up against the fence while also making him defend takedowns and he eventually did start landing those takedowns.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

MM was real fast and accurate and got out of the pocket before Dodson could do poo poo, or he'd initiate takedowns and he never let up the pressure. It must be real frustrating to fight a guy who is on you constantly but you can never really land a punch on.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
I have to say, watching MM these last few years has been a real treat.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yeah, MM is dominant in GSP-like ways, but I don't feel like he's content to keep the same pace like GSP kinda did in his late career. You can feel him escalating as the fight goes on and he figures the other guy out. It's like the opposite of gassing out. It's still extremely technical, but he presents more variety (to me at least) than GSP's 'death by perfectly executed jabs and takedowns'.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

MM is so much more fluid in transitioning from striking to takedowns than GSP, and on the feet he has better fundamentals. GSP was better at top control though, probably.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Lol I called the outcome of these fights.

Can't believe how depressing the Arlovski/Mir right was but yeah. Kind of a weird and boring card overall

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Does Mighty Mouse have any desire to move up a class? Obviously he doesn't need to but there really isn't anyone close to him in his division and you kinda feel he needs to fight more relevant fighters to get those buy rates up.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

1st AD posted:

MM is so much more fluid in transitioning from striking to takedowns than GSP

What??????

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
yeah I don't agree with that. with GSP you almost never saw the takedown coming, both us viewers and definitely the opponents right in front of him. Mighty Mouse's takedowns are all pretty deliberate but he's so good & quick that usually the other guy is hosed anyway and ends up on their butt.

The reason why I think Mighty Mouse is a better overall fighter than GSP at the moment is because Mighty Mouse has unreal conditioning that GSP had early on but lost a bit of after the ACL injury (and maybe even slightly before that too if I'm being honest). Mighty Mouse fights better in the 5th than he does in the 1st and conditioning kills. But GSP still did a lot of stuff in MMA better than Mighty Mouse or anybody else really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

• Locked thread