Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Is this Swedish government still funding the development of this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Anyone know more about the supposed database breach? Supposedly the info of anyone who has every paid for the game got lifted and there is a forum meltdown in progress.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

CoffeeBooze posted:

Anyone know more about the supposed database breach? Supposedly the info of anyone who has every paid for the game got lifted and there is a forum meltdown in progress.

Doubt it since there are 3 Payment methods. If you paid via card on their site maybe.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Holy poo poo, this game is still around? I played it at beta and it was a hot mess, but kinda fun. It was the last game I've gotten lost in. I remember running all the way to the minotaur cave, taming the minotaur and running back to town. Unfortunately when I hit the world seam for that block he glitched out and started murdering everything. I couldn't tame him because he kept going under the ground and rubber banding back into his home block.

I appreciate what they tried to do, I wish it could have turned out better.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I remember this game in beta, the game literally barely functioned at any given time. I remember going around punching gazelle to sell their corpses and buy books.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

So I did a bit more digging because I was curious just how big a mess this game is. Apparently it wasn't a payment database that was lifted, but some other form of login credentials and other consumer data. Whoever jacked the database has been logging into peoples account to destroy their items and other mischief and Star Vault seems to totally at a loss for how to deal with the situation.

Here's a forum thread on the subject: http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/threads/so-star-vault.137696/

Apparently the lead GM had his information publicly posted as well: http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/threads/so-star-vault.137696/#post-2291649

I am not surprised in the least that this has happened. I am however pretty surprised that anyone is still playing MO.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
How is he at a loss at how to deal with this? There's pretty standard protocol.

Go into DB. Drop everyone's passwords. Send out an email, tell people to use the "Forgot PW" functionality to get a new PW. Rollback servers to before breach.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I totally forgot about this game and it being promised by goons as the next UO until I was earning my 15 cents a day checking my Steam queue and had a tiny pulse of some sort of memory when I saw 'Mortal Online - Mostly Negative Reviews' in red text

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
Soooo I have 2 paid accounts and 1 free one.... Does this make me sadistic?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

SweetBro posted:

Go into DB. Drop everyone's passwords. Send out an email, tell people to use the "Forgot PW" functionality to get a new PW. Rollback servers to before breach.

unless the database where everyone's passwords are is also the database where everyone's character info is :pwn:

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

You can drop a single column from a DB without dropping the entire db.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

SweetBro posted:

Has any developer ever actually just locked the entirety of their user base out like that? Most developers are incredibly hesitant to do something like that for a lot of reasons. Also to do a rollback would require them to know when their info was first compromised. I seriously doubt they know that. Rollback in MMOs rarely happen anyways for a ton of reasons, not wanting to piss off all the player who arent affected is one reason.

Its not as simple as just doing this, even if the developer is a competent one.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

CoffeeBooze posted:

Has any developer ever actually just locked the entirety of their user base out like that?

Yes. Anytime user password data was breached even if it was encrypted, this has happened. Speaking of which, how the gently caress are these passwords not encrypted? What are these people even doing? Storing them as plan-text?

CoffeeBooze posted:

Also to do a rollback would require them to know when their info was first compromised.

Wrong. You only need to rollback to when chucklefuck started messing around with people accounts. Yes it sucks, but you bite the pillow and deal with it Nancy because having all your hard earned poo poo over the last however many years you've played this game suddenly dissapearing is worse than a week or two of progress at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

SweetBro posted:

Yes. Anytime user password data was breached even if it was encrypted, this has happened.

There have been quite a few breaches where this most definitely didnt happen. In fact Im not sure which deveoper actually went through with doing this. Like I said, locking your entire user base out of your application is a big deal.

SweetBro posted:

You only need to rollback to when chucklefuck started messing around with people accounts. Yes it sucks, but you bite the pillow and deal with it Nancy because having all your hard earned poo poo over the last however many years you've played this game suddenly dissapearing is worse than a week or two of progress at most.

How do you even tell when they started messing around? If it was three or four months ago that is an absolutely massive roll back that is going to make way more players angry. Hell, even rolling back a few days is going to infuriate way more of the player base. Its not as if there arent other options to restore lost items, characters, etc etc.

• Locked thread