Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
death is an illusion

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Agag posted:

lol, just lol, if you believe in any scientific transhumanist sci-fi nonsense.

in our lifetimes, definitely not. we're right hosed.

Lycaeon
Feb 20, 2013

A closed door is a closed mind.
If we all prepare ourselves to face and accept death without fear we win either way.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

The Whole Internet posted:

in our lifetimes, definitely not. we're right hosed.

The whole idea is hosed. What are you going to do, live in a computer until the sun explodes? Its just a child's procrastination. Face death now.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

The key to immortality, or at the very least a greatly extended life, will likely be discovered just after we die.

When humans become immortal, they'll have enough time to figure out how to bring us back.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Agag posted:

The whole idea is hosed. What are you going to do, live in a computer until the sun explodes? Its just a child's procrastination. Face death now.

oh no, the idea is good and anyone that thinks it's never gonna happen is dumb, but most people who believe in it are retarded. computers suck. computers are extremely fragile. they can't repair themselves. if you uploaded to a computer you'd die in like 4 years after a hard drive sector goes bad and you lose half your childhood memories. as you begin to design repair systems for a computer, and the repair systems for those repair systems... guess what it begins to look like the carbon based poo poo we already loving are.

transhumanism will be all about loving with our dna to make us genetically immortal.

by the way i work in genetics and i can confirm the state of understanding we have about how to fight cancer/alzheimer's etc... we are thoroughly and well hosed. every person alive right now will die horribly, and the people working on solving this thing are all incompetent (myself included). it's gonna be a good 500 years before we figure that poo poo out, if not 5000. just as well because a lot of people currently alive really should not be immortal

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Super Ninja Fish posted:

When humans become immortal, they'll have enough time to figure out how to bring us back.

uhhhhh...
you're a useless piece of poo poo now.

why would anyone want to bring you back?

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
no, it's a lovely idea because it involves staying alive/coming back to life to a lovely world that also doesn't have any cultural context for living forever except as a ghost or god-emperor

transhumanism is nerd jerkoff material

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
you are already dead, OP

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ork of Fiction posted:

uhhhhh...
you're a useless piece of poo poo now.

why would anyone want to bring you back?

"hey, this guy made a great post on Something Awful dot com..."

"oh well that's a keeper, better bring him back!"

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

mdm posted:

you are already dead, OP

rip in peace

puke pentagram
Jun 12, 2015

Agag posted:

Don't light the bonfire. Become the Lord of Darkness. hth

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

The Whole Internet posted:

"hey, this guy made a great post on Something Awful dot com..."

"oh well that's a keeper, better bring him back!"

And your posts shall be put upon the scale and if they are lighter than a feather, then you will be reborn into the techno future where you're dreams of having sex with knuckels the hedgehog will be a reality!

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

snivell posted:

I'm not sure if I'd be up for living forever.
I would like to

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ork of Fiction posted:

And your posts shall be put upon the scale and if they are lighter than a feather, then you will be reborn into the techno future where you're dreams of having sex with knuckels the hedgehog will be a reality!

my posts are longer than a duck's dick. there's no way i'm ever coming back.

my last dying wish is that... agag is resurrected into an atheist world 5000 years from now. i think that'd be p funny

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Couldn't we just clone surrogates of ourselves and then when the surrogates turn 18 we transplant our old brains into the clone?

You'd be killing the conscious clone, but eh.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

EugeneJ posted:

Couldn't we just clone surrogates of ourselves and then when the surrogates turn 18 we transplant our old brains into the clone?

You'd be killing the conscious clone, but eh.

Looking forward to thousands of years of murdering younger versions of myself until the Earth is uninhabitable.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Agag posted:

Looking forward to thousands of years of murdering younger versions of myself until the Earth is uninhabitable.

...it's not a bad idea, honestly

Maybe if you raised the clone but had it live in a medically-induced coma while it grew - that way it would still have the mind of a baby/retard when it turned 18, and ethically it wouldn't really be murder

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

EugeneJ posted:

...it's not a bad idea, honestly

Maybe if you raised the clone but had it live in a medically-induced coma while it grew - that way it would still have the mind of a baby/retard when it turned 18, and ethically it wouldn't really be murder

Thousands of years of de facto baby murder? Well why didn't you say so?!

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
watch this op.

it blew my mind, will probably do the same for you.

• Locked thread