Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Lacedaemonius posted:

To me the notion of purposefully handicapping our ability to communicate with one another is far more offensive than any word could be.

Which is probably why one should try to avoid using pejoratives often used to unnecessarily denigrate entire classes of people when a wealth of more useful alternatives exist that AREN'T going to be misconstrued, provided I give you the benefit of the doubt here. Color me disappointed, and best of luck in your future endeavors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Lacedaemonius posted:

To me the notion of purposefully handicapping our ability to communicate with one another is far more offensive than any word could be. But my offer wasn't mockery, it was serious. I won't recant my previous use, but I can refrain from using it in future videos if everyone feels so inclined. I'd rather get into further language discussion on the thread as this forum isn't the proper venue, so if anyone wants to please either send me a PM or steam message.

The way I see it, human being is a word that even in today's world, could be said to several of my friends right before they were beaten to death. I really don't think avoiding that word is really handicapping anyone's ability to communicate in a meaningful manner.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Just because you can use a turn of phrase, doesn't mean you should. Dress it up in all the indignation you want, but this is one of those times.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
There was a day when somethingawful goons would use the word human being to describe pretty much anything on the internet. There's a thread somewhere in the Comedy Goldmine centered around the "Are you a bad enough dude to save the president" meme, in which the OP starts with the phrase "THE PRESIDENT HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED BY FAGGOTS!" and continues in the same vein.

Those days have passed, here on the forums. Using the word human being to describe things, even ironically, is frowned upon.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

There was a day when somethingawful goons would use the word human being to describe pretty much anything on the internet. There's a thread somewhere in the Comedy Goldmine centered around the "Are you a bad enough dude to save the president" meme, in which the OP starts with the phrase "THE PRESIDENT HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED BY FAGGOTS!" and continues in the same vein.

Those days have passed, here on the forums. Using the word human being to describe things, even ironically, is frowned upon.

I think those posters all just stick to GBS nowadays

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
It's one of those words that's joined the no-list. The only difference is that happened in our time, so we will the horrible grandpas who let it slip drunk during thanksgiving dinner.

Happy bullshit Canadian thanksgiving by the way.

edit also yeah I should admit to really enjoying the hell out of the playing of the game.

Fellbat fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 11, 2015

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah, I've been enjoying the lp, but as an honest-to-god bisexual man I'm kind of not thrilled. It;s a good lp and I would like to keep watching, just apologize and move on duder. Dumb slip-ups happen especially around a level as godawful as Power Plant, I hear you.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
It's a great LP, keeping going man! Forget about all this silly moaning over a word. Hell it's only a US thing anyway, here in the UK it still refers to little pork balls. So everyone who uses that mask is a pork ball, problem solved.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Lord Banana posted:

It's a great LP, keeping going man! Forget about all this silly moaning over a word. Hell it's only a US thing anyway, here in the UK it still refers to little pork balls. So everyone who uses that mask is a pork ball, problem solved.

Mate, don't try to downplay a hateful word as silly moaning just because it's "only a US thing"

Edit: No, more than that. gently caress you for attempting to justify this poo poo and marginalize hate speech. Just because it doesn't happen in your loving backyard doesn't mean it doesn't happen to other people.

ArbitraryTA fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 11, 2015

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006

ArbitraryTA posted:

Mate, don't try to downplay a hateful word as silly moaning just because it's "only a US thing"

Edit: No, more than that. gently caress you for attempting to justify this poo poo and marginalize hate speech. Just because it doesn't happen in your loving backyard doesn't mean it doesn't happen to other people.

Just trying to lighten the mood, chill out! It's just language, and it not worth creating this amount of hate over, surely that's just falling into the trap of creating this cycle. Hating only makes everything worse!

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Lord Banana posted:

Just trying to lighten the mood, chill out! It's just language, and it not worth creating this amount of hate over, surely that's just falling into the trap of creating this cycle. Hating only makes everything worse!

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can make a person happy or sad or scared or angry- which is what really matters. Do not understate the power of words.

The hate was already there. Do not pretend that it was started by those taking offense at the slur. It is completely reasonable to expect better.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Lord Banana posted:

There are those that use these words with hate, and there are connotations to said language whether or not you want there to be. Lightening the mood by attempting to make things sound less offensive only justifies the continued use of the language. It still means the same thing to the people it's meant to offend, but you pretend it doesn't because it doesn't describe you.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
^^^^^^^
Sorry, I really disagree. Use of comedy helps us approach these issues in a friendly manner and helps us talk about them without it having to be an argument. I was trying to use it to point out the ridiculousness of hating this one guy for his use of a word you don't like. It's all about context, it isn't hate speech if there's no hate behind it. If we can't distinguish between the two then how can we fight against actual hate?

apostateCourier posted:

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can make a person happy or sad or scared or angry- which is what really matters. Do not understate the power of words.

The hate was already there. Do not pretend that it was started by those taking offense at the slur. It is completely reasonable to expect better.

I just think that creating this amount of fuss over it only extends the problems, especially when it's a clear indirect slip of the tongue. He wasn't being hateful to anyone, he just said a word people don't like. If it was clearly directed then it would be different, but this kind of response only gets peoples backs up and distorts the whole problem. There is real hate in this world that hurts people, but this isn't it and fighting here does nothing to progress the actually issue. Anyway, this definitely isn't the place for this so I won't argue anymore, just wanted to say that Lacedaemonius using a word people don't like once in an indirect way is a silly thing to hate on him for.

Lord Banana fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 11, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Jake's last level was hilarious. He may be grotesquely stupid and overweight, but he still knows how to assume a badass kung fu fighting stance while wearing the Dallas mask. Not that he seems to mind dropping the stance whenever he pauses to curbstomp people to death.

One thing that still baffles me about the game, though, is: Why is everybody so good at killing? That always bothered me about Hotline Miami 1, that Jacket seemed to just be some random lonely dude in Miami who suddenly became an unstoppable murder machine. That was cemented in my mind when he killed the bum, took off his mask, and vomited, which I thought indicated that he had never taken a life before that day. The fact that Jacket didn't know how to reload guns seemed to indicate that he had never handled one until all this started happening.

For the longest time, my explanation to myself was that Jacket wasn't just one character. Rather, every level restart was another day passing. Every level restart took us into the life of another poor gently caress living in a filthy one-bedroom apartment, living a friendless, penniless, squalid life identical to the last guy's. There were so many of these lonely, desperate twentysomethings in Miami it was horrifying in its own way. Every level restart, another of them would finally snap under the constant prodding and threats from 50 Blessings, and would put on one of their masks and go on yet another suicidal rampage, until one of them finally, through sheer force of luck, killed every last Russian in the targeted building.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Lacedaemonius posted:

To me the notion of purposefully handicapping our ability to communicate with one another is far more offensive than any word could be.

"but guys, what about the far more important issue of me being offended as opposed to me doubling-down on offending a lot of other people? think of me here!"

this argument is a load of self-centered poo poo regardless of context

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Jake's last level was hilarious. He may be grotesquely stupid and overweight, but he still knows how to assume a badass kung fu fighting stance while wearing the Dallas mask. Not that he seems to mind dropping the stance whenever he pauses to curbstomp people to death.

One thing that still baffles me about the game, though, is: Why is everybody so good at killing? That always bothered me about Hotline Miami 1, that Jacket seemed to just be some random lonely dude in Miami who suddenly became an unstoppable murder machine. That was cemented in my mind when he killed the bum, took off his mask, and vomited, which I thought indicated that he had never taken a life before that day. The fact that Jacket didn't know how to reload guns seemed to indicate that he had never handled one until all this started happening.

Yeah this is something I thought about a surprisingly large amount especially when the 2nd game seems to try and make more of a story out of things. Evan doesn't even want to kill anyone at the start but apparently he can just punch a guy a couple of times and cave his skull in no problems :iiam:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Evan has quite a bit of repressed rage, I think. The animation is pretty good at showing this, he does the knockout punches, kind of pauses a bit so you can get off, then really lets him have it. The second time you do it is even more extreme. The game is pretty good at packing personality into tiny little sprites.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Lord Banana posted:

^^^^^^^
Sorry, I really disagree. Use of comedy helps us approach these issues in a friendly manner and helps us talk about them without it having to be an argument. I was trying to use it to point out the ridiculousness of hating this one guy for his use of a word you don't like. It's all about context, it isn't hate speech if there's no hate behind it. If we can't distinguish between the two then how can we fight against actual hate?

I am glad someone finally said this, because it means I can finally plug my comedy act where I get on stage and just call everyone a friend of the family. As a white male I am finally able to combat the stigma of using friend of the family in a non-hateful manner in all good fun.

Pretending that context alone can just totally remove every problem with a word doesn't work. Language is contextual to a degree yes, but there is also the shared consensus that permeates through those that use that language. You said that he used human being without actual hate, then why did he use that word pejoratively? He used it AS an insult. So how can there be no hate behind it. The fact is that people use human being to say "these people are bad" additionally there is often the threat of violence attached, or total social discrimination. Then when searching for a word to insult people's choices in a video game, Lace decided to be edgy to show just how bad and dumb you are. So he called them a homosexual.

Also, if you intend to use comedy to lighten a mood, try being funny first.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Lord Banana posted:

I don't know what part of the UK you live in, but while I'm aware of the other definition, you're wrong if you think that the rest of the country thinks that way. It is most definitely not commonly used in the "pork ball" sense.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Hoss Corncave posted:

I don't know what part of the UK you live in, but while I'm aware of the other definition, you're wrong if you think that the rest of the country thinks that way. It is most definitely not commonly used in the "pork ball" sense.

Yeah, I'm up in Scotland, and I remember my friends giggling at seeing them in a supermarket as kids. And we're talking a good 20+ years ago.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

JossiRossi posted:

I am glad someone finally said this, because it means I can finally plug my comedy act where I get on stage and just call everyone a friend of the family. As a white male I am finally able to combat the stigma of using friend of the family in a non-hateful manner in all good fun.

That's pretty much a word for word description of a quite successful Lenny Bruce routine. Not that I'm disagreeing with the rest of your post, which is pretty much on point.

GrandpaAhab
Sep 15, 2011

Oh no, not again.
I just started watching the Hard Mode videos and you brought up how the Tiger mask is on the evidence desk at the trial and how Tony from the fans should have the mask. I did notice looking at Hotline Miami one that the Tiger mask in that didn't have a bloody gunhole in the eye but it does in this game. Do you think it's possible that The mask was in evidence held over from the events of the first game after the original owner got killed and then The Fan in this stole it? I don't know if the dates check out that well, but it could be a key in to why Tony eventually decided to give up rather than fight to the death. It's major extrapolation, but what if to prove himself to the other fans, he stole the mask, but really he just was looking for some friends. Like he never truly believed in all this, but did something "badass" like stealing the mask and only ever using his fists to be cool.

Edit: I tried to send a PM to you Lace, but the forums say they're turned off. Lemme know if you wanna hear it and how I can send it. Hope the recordings are going swimmingly!

GrandpaAhab fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 12, 2015

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

For the longest time, my explanation to myself was that Jacket wasn't just one character. Rather, every level restart was another day passing. Every level restart took us into the life of another poor gently caress living in a filthy one-bedroom apartment, living a friendless, penniless, squalid life identical to the last guy's. There were so many of these lonely, desperate twentysomethings in Miami it was horrifying in its own way. Every level restart, another of them would finally snap under the constant prodding and threats from 50 Blessings, and would put on one of their masks and go on yet another suicidal rampage, until one of them finally, through sheer force of luck, killed every last Russian in the targeted building.
Holy cow, that's depressing. You should a game that's pretty much that, it'd be like Rogue Legacy meets All Quiet On the Western Front.

GrandpaAhab posted:

I just started watching the Hard Mode videos and you brought up how the Tiger mask is on the evidence desk at the trial and how Tony from the fans should have the mask. I did notice looking at Hotline Miami one that the Tiger mask in that didn't have a bloody gunhole in the eye but it does in this game. Do you think it's possible that The mask was in evidence held over from the events of the first game after the original owner got killed and then The Fan in this stole it? I don't know if the dates check out that well, but it could be a key in to why Tony eventually decided to give up rather than fight to the death. It's major extrapolation, but what if to prove himself to the other fans, he stole the mask, but really he just was looking for some friends. Like he never truly believed in all this, but did something "badass" like stealing the mask and only ever using his fists to be cool.
That makes a lot of sense and as far as I know is perfectly plausible. Tony definitely isn't politically motivated like the other fans, but since we see him with the other fans at the prelude to Beard's first level I think it's safe to say that he already knew and was friends with the fans. The way I see it, when the original Tony was blown up by the bomb in the 4th level (HLM1) the mask just happened to be blown outside, and that's how the new Tony was able to get it. Then either Jacket buys a tiger mask for himself, or the mask in evidence at the trial is just a clone for demonstration. Given Tony's aggressive personality, I think he uses his fists just because he enjoys it.

GrandpaAhab posted:

Edit: I tried to send a PM to you Lace, but the forums say they're turned off. Lemme know if you wanna hear it and how I can send it. Hope the recordings are going swimmingly!
That's weird, feel free to add me on steam. I always love to chat with another fan!

E: Heads-up, act 5 is going to take a fair bit longer, I'm having trouble finding a good track to feature for the EP. Sorry!

Lacedaemonius fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 13, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

GrandpaAhab posted:

One theory I've heard about Tony's mask, at least on the Hotline Miami wiki, is that it's a different mask, worn by a different character in Hotline Miami 1. According to the wiki, the mask is worn by some poor schmuck tied up in a chair in a room that's booby-trapped to explode, and that room is inevitably blown up during the level, which would explain not only the blood but also how torn to poo poo the mask is in general.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
If it were that mask, pretty sure it'd be nothing but tatters, or maybe ash.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
With Act 5, the end is in sight!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I might have missed it if you mentioned it, but Richter's magical mask power is that he fires his shotguns slower in succession.

I think that's what let me down the most about HLM2. We got The Fan's masks as preview and they were all super exciting but other than Evan, absolutely nobody else's were.

That's also why I resent the Fans dying so fast. Alex and Ash were the funnest part of the game.

death .cab for qt posted:

Richard is Death, for sure. He is also a dick and appears to be taunting people before their death, because he is delighting in how they don't even realize how the actions of humanity are about to end civilization as they know it.

Yeah but look at what he says to The Son at the end of Blood Money. He talks like he's trying to convince The Son to stop but is resigned to the fact that he won't.

Lotish posted:

I think the letters Pardo is leaving with the bodies are meant to make people care or be curious about the Mutilator, but to my amusement they're labeled "mundane." He wants to create this myth of a creative and desperate killer, not so much because he wants to be caught (he clearly doesn't want to be caught) but because he wants acclaim. He's jealous of Jacket's media attention; if he can steal some of that with a killer of his own, he gets the fame either as the detective on the case or through people's fear of the mutilator. But he's just such a boring killer compared to the sensation of Jacket's massacres. It's weird that he can't be satisfied with his rampages against the Columbians, because holy poo poo he is an engine of death.

It's interesting. Martin Brown is a movie star who wants to be a killer. Manny Pardo (which means Brown in Spanish, apparently) is a killer who wants to be a star.

Now it might have just been a bug, but sometimes in Caught when you'd die Manny's body turned into Martin's. :iiam:

One theory I've heard about Tony's mask, at least on the Hotline Miami wiki, is that it's a different mask, worn by a different character in Hotline Miami 1. According to the wiki, the mask is worn by some poor schmuck tied up in a chair in a room that's booby-trapped to explode, and that room is inevitably blown up during the level, which would explain not only the blood but also how torn to poo poo the mask is in general.

That was dropped in development like literally every other interesting bit of story that wasn't wrapped up in metaphor.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 17, 2015

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
So no silenced uzi then? :sigh:

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Think I owe everyone an explanation for falling behind schedule, so quick update! Act 6 is posted and annotated, just finishing up a video on the bonus level "Abyss" so expect a proper update in the next 24hrs.

Anatharon posted:

[...]dropped in development like literally every other interesting bit of story that wasn't wrapped up in metaphor.
Truest statement ever spoke of the game.

ManlyGrunting posted:

So no silenced uzi then? :sigh:
I wish, maybe when if we finally see the level ed there'll be a proper remake of Richter's levels with the UZI.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

You know at this point, you may as well LP the first game as well and explore how the story links up and the themes from that game.

Go on, you know you want to...

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Maybe a Bloodbath Kavkaz comparison as well.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Zip! posted:

You know at this point, you may as well LP the first game as well and explore how the story links up and the themes from that game.

Go on, you know you want to...

:argh: drat you!

I'll have something up in the next several days

A good poster posted:

Maybe a Bloodbath Kavkaz comparison as well.
I'll have something up when hell freezes over.

IN THE MEANTIME, here's that thing I've kept delaying. I hope that Act 6 video doesn't get me letters from the ASPCA.

AND MORE BOLD TEXT FOR A SPECIAL BONUS

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
You say you think the last two levels take place on the same day, but the pre-level timestamps clearly mark them as six days apart.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Flesnolk posted:

You say you think the last two levels take place on the same day, but the pre-level timestamps clearly mark them as six days apart.

Oops, I never pay attention to the dates. But if it's 6 days on I wonder why the Russians are still celebrating the haul they got from the bank robbery. They must party hard

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
If you count Apocalypse as the last level, it's been 13 days since the heist. That's a lot of partying.

Personally though, I always thought they were celebrating defeating the Columbians and taking over their base, not the heist.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Flesnolk posted:

If you count Apocalypse as the last level, it's been 13 days since the heist. That's a lot of partying.

Personally though, I always thought they were celebrating defeating the Columbians and taking over their base, not the heist.

My bad I wasn't clear, I meant the "Gotta get a grip!" room where we see 4 Russians drinking to duffelbags of cash. The rest of the celebration likely is for victory over the Colombians (I'm guessing).

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Here's the original game in its entirety! and wow it's a lot shorter than the second. Quite a bit easier as well, which is a nice respite.

If there are any other requests post them now please, else I'll be closing the thread soon.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Thanks for doing all of this. Loved following this LP through to the end.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
The first game's normal ending dialogue has a lot more to do with the game itself than the story within it, although there's enough parallels to make you forget that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
I'm closing the thread.
Thanks to everyone who kept up with and (hopefully) enjoyed the LP, despite being a novice effort I can't overstate how happy I am people liked it. An even bigger thanks to everyone posting their crazy brilliant ideas/interpretations of the game, despite thinking I'd seen it all I heard quite a few awesome things I'd never have thought of in a million years, a lot of fun! But, for anyone who didn't like it for whatever reason, please let me know why, and I'll try and fix/improve it in future LPs. I'll be starting another LP very soon, this time a freeplay/ironman/CYOA mashup of STALKER SoC with quite a bit more polish now that I've got some experience, so if you're interested keep your eyes peeled on the Sandcastle and Announcement threads for it!

P.S. Dennaton, if you're out there don't ever stop making videogames.

Cheez posted:

The first game's normal ending dialogue has a lot more to do with the game itself than the story within it, although there's enough parallels to make you forget that.
Very well said, you can get a lot of insight into Dennaton's views on humanity there.

• Locked thread