Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Less than a month, I'm amazing. Also don't get all the artefacts at the end of the game when you're actually playing it.

Part 16: Ridley's Believe It Or Not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My favorite dumb thing to do in Metroid Prime is in one of the corridors leading to the Impact Crater. It has two blue doors at either end and is perfectly straight. Blue doors can be opened by any beam...but not by missiles! If you shoot a missile at one, it'll bounce off. Line it up right and you can have a bunch of missiles bouncing back and forth between the doors.

Sadly they time out eventually, so no bringing your poor Gamecube to its knees by overloading it with projectiles.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I'm not sure whether they changed it for the Wii version, but on Gamecube Ridley's final form was piss easy with the wavebuster. It would just stunlock him until you ran out of missiles or he ran out of health. The only hard part was if you had to switch weapons while he's exposed, since he doesn't give you that much time.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I can't help but laugh at the discrepancy between the Space Pirate researchers cursing those darned Chozo with their stupid riddles and several artifacts just being littered around the Space Pirate-controlled areas of the game.

The control tower's artifact is just there outside of the little wall and then there's the one where they shoved it inside one of their own experiments. :allears:

E: I'm not sure if it's part of the Wii versions, but thanks for editing in the Impact Crater voice clip if it isn't. It's the only area of the game that gets it on the GC PAL version and it makes it feel pretty impressive.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
That's some excellent editing on the artefact collecting. Really good job, man.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

George posted:

I'm not sure whether they changed it for the Wii version, but on Gamecube Ridley's final form was piss easy with the wavebuster. It would just stunlock him until you ran out of missiles or he ran out of health. The only hard part was if you had to switch weapons while he's exposed, since he doesn't give you that much time.

I forget exactly how they changed it--I think Ridley just takes reduced damage from the Wavebuster in the Wii version--but you can't cheese him like that any more. You'll run out of missiles long before Ridley's health is depleted.

This video was masterfully done, frozentreasure. Excellent work.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I feel obligated to note that the Metroid Prime run is currently on at SGDQ: http://gamesdonequick.com

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I'm not a huge fan of the Out of Bounds stuff in the Metroid Prime speedrun route, tbh.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Finally catching up on the LP and I agree that the editing on the artifact hunt was very clever. I know a lot of people bag on that part of the game but I always enjoyed it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm not a huge fan of the Out of Bounds stuff in the Metroid Prime speedrun route, tbh.
Absurd ballsparking in Zero Mission remains the best speedrun poo poo

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Simply Simon posted:

That stuff is fun to watch but over reliance on that stuff really kills all the metroid romhacks out there. Maybe I'm just mad because I'm terrible at doing them.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Oh hey everyone what are we all doing just hanging out, chatting casually, yeah I can do thatWHABAM, new update.

Part 17: Prime Time

Thanks everyone for joining along with me for the ride. I've now learned my lesson and the next LP will just be me. Possible follow-up video to come, not sure. If not, I'll see you all when I invariably, inevitably, do another Metroid-style game in like five months.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Thanks, FT, it was a fun ride. Narrating the final two scans yourself was a nice touch.

I agree the final boss was cool thematically, but kind of a boring fight. The Phazon Beam would've been cool to use outside the final boss room--in fact there are Action Replay codes to enable it (you switch to it by switching to Power Beam when you're already using the Power Beam), and it utterly destroys everything in the game--except for metroids outside of the final boss chamber, for whatever strange reason. Any metroids which aren't spawned by Prime during the final fight are completely immune to it, which is bizarre and makes no sense whatsoever to me. Makes me wonder if the little bastards in the core are a different enemy than those found elsewhere, in terms of game programming.

My hypothesis on Prime itself was always that the Chozo had a few metroids on Tallon IV for whatever reason--they did create the things, after all--and one of them got caught up in the impact crater when the Chozo sealed it off, and mutated over time. The instruction manual for the Trilogy version all but confirms this, but it's difficult to say if that's what Retro had in mind from the very start or if they were just making it up as they went along (as storytellers so often do).

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

frozentreasure posted:

I've now learned my lesson and the next LP will just be me.
This sounds like entirely the wrong lesson to have learned.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Cheez posted:

This sounds like entirely the wrong lesson to have learned.

Agreed, that was done really well.

Looking forward to Prime 2!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the LP, the narrating thing made it fun and unique.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Simply Simon posted:

I 1000% agree.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

KieranWalker posted:

My hypothesis on Prime itself was always that the Chozo had a few metroids on Tallon IV for whatever reason--they did create the things, after all--and one of them got caught up in the impact crater when the Chozo sealed it off, and mutated over time. The instruction manual for the Trilogy version all but confirms this, but it's difficult to say if that's what Retro had in mind from the very start or if they were just making it up as they went along (as storytellers so often do).

My favorite theory is that Prime is actually an X parasite (from Metroid Fusion) mutated by Phazon. Thematically it makes sense, considering how the X operate: by perverting existing organisms into horrible monstrosities, just like Phazon does. Also, when you defeat Prime, its final form (in the cutscene where it eats the Phazon Suit) shows something that could reasonably be described as a 3D rendering of an X Core, the things that Samus has to fight in Fusion after every single boss. Presumably Prime's phazon mutation supercharges its ability to parasitize and corrupt whatever it inhabits, at the cost of removing its ability to reproduce.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Thanks for the great LP. It was a fun ride!

It's such a shame that we never got the crater escape sequence. That would've been a pretty cool thing to add to the Wii re-releases.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

A good LP with a fun idea to bring us all together. Thanks, frozentreasure!

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Thank you for the LP!

And thank you for the subtle Contradiction reference. It was amazing.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Excellent work as always, thanks FT and everyone who helped out.

purple_sammich
Feb 3, 2010
It's always nice to see someone competent tackle the Metroid Prime exo fight. I'm sooo bad at it, I always die at least three times.

I'm a little sad this LP is over! It was super fun to watch and I really enjoyed doing readings for it. :3: Thank you for using such a cool gimmick and for making such a great LP, frozentreasure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
THE OPERATION WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME 11:16

http://lparchive.org/Metroid-Prime-(by-frozentreasure)

• Locked thread