Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

School Mode Free Time Roundup #14: Toko Fukawa

: Today, we'll be going through Toko's Free Time Events. She has five events of varying length, so this will probably be a fairly long update. I'm gonna love typing out her stuttering!

> Spend time together

: I was p-perfectly happy spending time by m-myself...
: But I guess if you're so d-desperate for attention, I can h-hang out for a little bit...

I spent some time with a cold and distant Toko... Toko and I grew a little closer today.

> Yes, definitely

Water Flute: A unique type of flute. You pour water into the base and blow into the top, which can create a variety of sounds similar to a chirping bird.

: You don't really...! D-Do you...?
: N-No, you're just trying to trick me! Trying to m-make me the butt of your joke...

I get the impression that she liked it. That's good...

: ... ...

She's just standing there. Does she want something...?

: ...

But she's not saying anything...

Maybe I should try to start a conversation...

: U-Um, Toko...?

: What? You wanna t-talk to me? Well, I can't stop y-you. So talk already!

Okay, sure, but...what should I say?

: So, uh, what do you like to do in your spare time?
: Why do you w-wanna know...?
: Well, I mean, you know... We're trapped here together, right? If we're gonna be friends, it'd be nice to get to know each other.

: Huh? What'd you just s-say?
: Um...
: After that p-part about being trapped... We're gonna be wh-what?
: Uh...friends?
: Hmmmeeheheheeh... Whaddya mean, f-friends!? You think I'm s-stupid? You're trying to trick me!

: I've already been h-hurt once before... I'm not gonna l-let it happen again...!

You've been hurt? What happened...?

: Come on, y-you don't really care about m-me... You don't want to kn-know about me! Even I know that...!
: N-No, that's not true...!
: Fine. Then t-tell me...
: Tell you what?

: You know why they c-call me the Ultimate Writing Prodigy, right?
: Yeah, sure. You've won all kinds of literature prizes and stuff.
: Then tell me wh-what I'm good at... Tell m-me what my genre specialty is! If you r-really wanna convince me you give a crap, you should at least kn-know that!

The genre that the Ultimate Writing Prodigy specializes in...

> Romance

: It's romance, of course.

: Oh...you a-actually knew?
: Your biggest success was "So Lingers the Ocean," right? Everyone says it's your masterpiece. The book was such a hit that fishermen shot to the top of all the "Hottest Men" polls...right?
: How did y-you know all that...? There's no way you c-care about me...!
: I'm telling you, I do! I mean, we're friends, aren't we?
: Nng...! I'm blind! Your s-straightforward nature blinded me! Hyeeeeeeeehhh! *leaves*

Toko ran off, screaming like a banshee.

: I'm not really sure... Does she hate me now?
: This event unlocks the skill Vocabulary. It gives you a couple extra bullets to use when locking on during Bullet Time Battles. It's kind of useful, but there are more useful skills for BTBs. Then again, it's available as soon as you start the game, so availability is nice.
: The second event takes place at the Pool.

: You want to s-spend time with me...?
: I don't know what you're p-planning, but...

I spent some time with Toko... Toko and I grew a little closer today...

> Yes, definitely

Maiden Handbag: Available only at the posh Maiden Road, which is geared toward female fanfic fans. Please, PLEASE take me with you next time you go!

: I c-can't forgive this... I'll never forgive you f-for being this nice to me...!

Seeing Toko so pleased with something I gave her makes me happy!

I thought Toko totally hated me...

But it's not like she's going out of her way to avoid me. Still...we're not actually talking, either.

: H-Hey, Toko...?

: Wh-What? You have a question? You have a question f-for your classmate...!?

Huh? Is she...happy?

: So I kinda asked before, but what do you like to do in your spare time?
: I just w-write. I'm serialized, so I'm a-always really busy...! And when I'm not writing, I'm s-studying. I'm not an idiot l-like you...!

: Agh, d-dammit...! I had to go and open my b-big mouth again... You must hate me for s-sure now, right?
: No, it didn't really bother me... But I can't believe you actually write novels! And that people all over the world read them... So...how do you get your ideas for what you write? Is it like, real-life experience, or...?

: Are you stupid!?
: What...?
: I t-told you, didn't I? I write romance novels...! How could I use m-my real-life experiences for that...!?
: It's all from my i-imagination! It's just delusions! Delusions let you fall in l-love as much as you want, even if you n-never do in real life!
: Or are you s-saying you can't write romance unless you already have lots of experiences i-in love...?
: N-No, not at all...

: It's okay. I'm used to p-people making fun of me... B-But...
: Someday, I'll show them! I'll get pretty s-someday and show them all...! *leaves*

Boiling over like magma, Toko stormed off.

: This time I'm *sure* she hates me...
: This event gives us SP+1.
: The third event takes place in the Dressing Room.

> Yes, definitely

Glasses: They say that wearing these while performing incantations will help you better speak with the target of your spell.

: I c-can't forgive this... I'll never forgive you f-for being this nice to me...!

: Hey...! I want to t-talk to you.

Huh? That's strange. Toko never wants to talk to me... I thought she hated my guts.

: Are you l-listening to me?
: Oh, sorry! Yeah, I'm listening!
: I just w-wanted to clear something up. I mean, I *have* to clear it up. What I said before... I d-don't want you to get the wrong idea, o-okay?
: Huh? What did you say?

: About not having any love in r-real life.
: I don't want you thinking I-I don't have any experience a-at all! Even someone like m-me has...gone on a date.
: Oh...
: It's true! I'm not l-lying! I'll tell you all about it if y-you really wanna hear!
: Um, no, it's okay...

: I was in junior h-high, and out of nowhere this g-guy from another class just asked me o-out.

Okay, guess I'm hearing it anyway...

: He asked m-me to make plans for the date. I stayed up all n-night for three days planning it. And what I came up with w-was... It was our f-frst date, so I wanted to do something t-traditional. I decided on going to see s-something.
: What was it...?
: Are you stupid!? When you're talking t-traditional date stuff what do you THINK it w-was!?

On a traditional date, you go to see something... What else could it be but...?

> A movie

: You planned to go see a movie?
: Y-Yeah. It's pretty cool, right? You do w-watch it, then afterward talk about it all p-passionately... In other words, it's i-ideal first-date material.

You stayed up for three days, and that's what you came up with...?

: Next I had to d-decide what to go see. Since we were in junior h-high, we couldn't go see some kid's m-movie, right? I wanted something really a-action packed.
: Yeah, a guy would definitely like that kinda thing. And it could get you both pumped up!

: So we d-decided to check out a Seijun Suzuki t-triple feature. "Tokyo Drifter," "Fighting Elegy," and "Branded to Kill." I-Irresistable for any guy, right?
: Umm...and those are all...?
: You don't know who S-Seijun Suzuki is!? He's world-famous for h-his one-of-a-kind aesthetic, his u-unique blending of color!
: S-Sorry...
: The killer's the main character, and he gets r-riled up by the smell of cooking rice. A murder masterpiece!
: Honestly, I think there's probably not a lot of guys my age who have any idea who he is...

: Ngggh! You're right... I learned that f-fact the hard way. He musta h-hated it, cuz he disappeared right i-in the middle of the first movie!
: What!? He just left!? And after you'd put all that effort into planning everything out? That's awful...
: W-Well, it is what it is. Besides, I found out i-it was just a dare, anyway...
: A dare...?
: Yeah. He lost a b-bet with his friends, so he had to go o-out on a date with me... And there I was, s-spending three days to come up with something for us to d-do...

: This is all y-your fault! You made me remember that terrible t-trauma!
: My fault!?
: Do you like h-humiliating me that much? Is th-that how you get your kicks? I've finally seen the r-real you...
: N-No, I...!
: I c-can't be around you and your perverted f-fetish anymore...! I'm l-l-leaving! *leaves*

Eyes burning with hatred, Toko glared at me before stomping off.

: Okay, seriously. Now she's *gotta* hate me...
: The fourth event takes place in the Art Room.

: What, more p-pity? Aren't you such a g-good person, showing me all this pity...?

I spent some time with Toko... Toko and I grew a little closer today.

> Yes, definitely

Novelist's Fountain Pen: It once belonged to a late, great novelist. They say the writer's soul is sealed within the pen, and any user can only write one sentence: "I have become something not human."

: Sorry, but I'm already e-engaged to Master. So I can't g-go on a date with you... If you're okay with th-that, I don't mind if you...think about m-me.

: ... ...

I could feel Toko's silent pressure on me, stronger than ever...

: Take r-responsibility...
: ...Huh? Responsibility? Me...?
: I've been t-trapped in here too long. There's nothing to do. The boredom's s-started killing me... So I thought maybe I could write my n-next novel... The p-pinnacle of romance literature!
: But I c-can't do it...
: Huh? Why not?

: I've got a writer's b-block... My powers of delusion are i-in a complete slump...! This has never h-happened before...
: What caused it?
: You d-did! When you opened up all those o-old wounds!
: You're blaming me!?

: Ghh...! I can't t-take it anymore No more writing for me! I'm r-retiring!
: Retiring? But that's such a waste! You've got so much talent!
: No, I'm d-done. I was never all that good i-in the first place...! And now I don't have the m-motivation or willpower anymore, e-either...

drat... It's like she's haunted by all those ghosts of her past...

: Listen, Toko... Why not take this opportunity to look back at why you started doing this in the first place?
: Why I started...?
: Yeah, why you started writing at all. Reflect on that, and I'm sure it'll give you at least a little motivation.

: ...It all started...w-with a single love letter.
: A love letter...?
: When I was in e-elementary school, I...fell in l-love for the first time... He was a friend of mine. There weren't any feelings a-at first. He was the only boy I c-could talk to without getting h-hung up... But then he told me...h-his family was moving to Shikoku... As soon as he said that, I could f-feel my chest start to tighten...

: At first I d-didn't even understand what I was feeling. It was a total mystery... B-But I was too embarrassed to tell him h-how I felt directly. So instead...I wr-wrote him a love letter. And then...
: And then...?
: The next day, the d-day he left...I saw he'd hung the letter up o-on the school bulletin board...
: What...?
: I got to talk to him a-again later on... Apparently h-he hated the fact that I talked to h-him so much... All the other kids u-used to make fun of him for it... I guess that was his revenge, to sh-show the world my letter r-right before running off...!

That's the most miserable "first love" story I've ever heard...!

: But one of the t-teachers that read the letter...said I h-had a talent for writing... And that's what s-sparked my interest in writing.
: So that's what happened, huh?

: Grrhh! And now I dug up TH-THAT terrible memory! It's all your f-fault! All this trauma...! It's all p-pointless! I'll never write another sublime love story ever ag-gain!
: Well then...why don't you try writing something besides romance stuff?
: ...Huh?
: What I mean is, why don't you just write about what you're actually feeling? Write from the heart.
: You're saying I sh-should take these feelings of anger and emptiness...and turn them into a novel?

Honestly, I think that'd probably do her a lot of good...

: Aha...ahaha! That's n-not a bad idea...! Fine! I'm g-gonna do it! Write from the h-heart! Ahaheeheha...! I...I'm gonna d-do it! Ahohuhehueh...! *leaves*

Toko dragged her screeching laughter behind her as she ran off.

: Well...she definitely seems motivated. But is that a good thing...?
: The fifth and final event starts off in the Laundry Room.

> Yes, definitely

Antique Doll: A porcelain doll. Due to the exquisite craftsmanship of the doll and its clothing, many people still collect and prize them to this very day.

: Hey, M-Makoto? Could you come to my room...?
: Huh...?
: I want to sh-show you something. I'll be waiting th-there... *leaves*

That's not like her, to just talk to someone so opened like that... And she wants me to come to her room...?

: Well, I'd better do what she asked.

I quickly made my way to Toko's room...

: Th-Thanks for coming...
: But don't get the wrong i-idea! I didn't ask you here for a-anything...like that! If you lay a hand on me, I'll b-bite my own tongue off and choke o-on the blood! Till I'm d-dead!
: Trust me, that's not gonna happen... Anyway, what's going on? You said you had something you wanted to show me?
: I was hoping you would...r-read this.

Toko handed me a massive stack of thick paper. I saw handwriting on the top sheet, the neat letters packed close together.

: Is this...?

: I took your advice and s-started writing. I wanted you to be th-the first one to read it...
: Th-Thanks...

I started scanning the text. A few seconds later, I was still reading... The words kept flowing into my head, the scenery unfolding before my very eyes...!

: It's good... This is really good, Toko! I dunno if I've ever read anything this good!
: It's pretty g-good, right? Hehehe...!

But... It's really dark! Super dark! Reading it kinda makes me wanna die!

: You know what they c-call the type of writing where the author has directly experienced the subject matter? It's a kind of naturalistic style popular in Japan. Katai Tayama's "Futon" started it all...

Novels that use the author's own experiences... I'm pretty sure I learned about that at some point...

> I-Novel

: Are you talking about an I-Novel?
: C-Correct...! Mine's still a w-work in progress, though. But as soon a-as it's finished...

: ...it's going to b-become a shocking masterpiece that'll change the face of the I-Novel f-forever!

Knowing her...she might actually be right about that... It'd definitely some dark, heavy stuff. But it's the kind of thing you just can't put down.

: It *will* be a masterpiece, I have no doubt about that.
: And it's all th-thanks to you, Makoto. Thanks to you, I-I... ...

: Ahh, I'm s-so embarrassed...! I'll express my a-appreciation in the form of a poem!
: A poem...?
:

"On a locked and rusted door
I dug my nails in and dragged them down

Warm blood mixed with old rust
Flowing down my wrist
Coils like a snake
Embracing my body

You watch me
A smile in your eyes
You watch

Time runs away
And you with it
You leave me drowning in a red sea."

: ...Well? Now do you understand how I feel?

God I hope not... But if it makes her happy, that's all that matters. Can I say that because I've finally started to understand her, even if only a little bit...?

: S-So...that's it for now. You've helped me find m-my motivation. Now I have to do my b-best to bring the story to an end. And when there's someone there t-to support me for that...
: ...that's what you c-call a friend...right?

Friend... I never imagined I'd hear Toko say that word. But yes...Toko and I had finally become true friends.

: Now get out b-before you decide to lunge for m-me after all!

Toko kicked me out of her room, so I headed back to my own.

: This final event gives us SP+1.
: Unlike the rest of the characters though...

: It does not give us the star on our Report Card. Why is that? Well... Don't forget, there's still one more person that survived...

Toko Fukawa's Character Art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Toko is a troubled girl.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

You could definitely see why she's so standoffish and hostile, and Japan's pretty poo poo about dealing with bullying issues. I was also a subject of being asked out on a dare, and it loving stings.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Toko.. :(

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The problem is that while yes she has some issues, she has decided to deal with fear of rejection by being so relentlessly terrible as to ensure that no one ever wants to get close enough to hurt her again. She's succeeded wonderfully, but of course, spending any amount of time in her presence is like smashing your own fingers with a hammer.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I actually found myself liking Toko's events more than I thought I would. It's too bad the relationships developed in Free Times don't carry over to the main story because she sounds genuinely thankful to Makoto for the inspiration she provided. I mean, she wanted him to be the first to read her new manuscript, not Byakuya. It's a shame she's pretty crappy outside the events.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

School Mode Free Time Roundup #15: Genocide Jill

: It's the final Free Time Roundup today. Believe it or not, Genocide Jill has her own set of events. She has three of them and they're only accessible once you've seen all of Toko's events. She also has very peculiar taste in presents, though if you've been paying attention to her character you should probably be able to figure out the sorts of things she likes.

> Spend time together

: You want me to kill ya or somethin'?
: You're not even CLOSE to getting me heated up!

The time I spent with the murderous fiend was almost...valuable. Did I just get a little closer...to Genocide Jack?

> Yes, definitely

Hand Bra: A bra designed to slip over your hands. Its slogan? "Raise your hands, raise your spirits!"

: A present out of nowhere...? Ahhhh~! I'm gettin' all flustered!

: Hey, Mahkyutie! Listen up!

Mahkyutie? Is that me...?

: Something's building up, ya know!? Stress, mainly...!

: It's cuz I haven't gotten to kill anyone lately! So it's building up! It's packed in there tight!
: ...So...why do you...?
: Yes?
: Why do you...kill people? You should really stop. I mean, it's just meaningless bloodshed, isn't it?

: Meaningless...?
: I know that, stupid! I don't kill because it has meaning!
: Then...why...?
: Let me ask YOU something, Mr. Smartypants! Why does a soccer player kick stuff!? Why does a bookstore manager sell books!?

: You'd never ask them that, right? It's exactly the same with me!
: Th-That's not the same at all! It's totally different!
: Hmm... You got balls, trying to lecture the mighty morphin' murderous fiend... Well, here's my response.
: It's easier to kill than to try not to!
: Kyeehahaha!

I don't know why I even bothered trying to understand Genocide Jack...

: Kyeehahaha!
: This event unlocks the skill Trigger Happy. Yes, even Jill has stuff for you to unlock. This skill decreases the time delay on firing another Truth Bullet after you've already fired one. It's not particularly useful because when you fire Truth Bullets, you don't usually miss what you're aiming at.
: The second event takes place in the Physics Lab.

: Huh? Hey, if you don't mind hanging out with a serial killer, I don't mind hanging out with a chump!

Genocide Jack and I, um...killed some time together... Did I just get a little closer...to Genocide Jack?

> Yes, definitely

Cat-Dog Magazine: You might think it has to do with pets, but it's more related to...beds. It's a guide for junior high and high school students to help with their...um...physical health.

: A present out of nowhere...? Ahhhh~! I'm gettin' all flustered!

: Hey, Mackie Chan! What should we talk about today!?

I guess I'm Mackie Chan now?

: What's wrong!? You don't wanna talk to me!?
: Actually, I did want to ask you something... When did you appear--or when were you born--or when did you--?
: Huh? The hell are you tryin' to say!?
: How did you end up with a split personality?

: Who knows? I don't remember the how or why of it! Not everything's got a big dramatic backstory to it! Maybe it was just a coincidence or bad timing or some other nonsense!
: Just coincidence? Could that really be all...?
: Maybe living in a repressed modern society caused an unexpected reaction to bubble up. And maybe that reaction just so happened to be me!
: And since it was a reaction to that repressed society, my personality became the total opposite of that! The other "me" is a total downer, right? So that would make me...

: Well, what do you think? Quiz time! Hope you've been brushing up on your Japanese!
: Kyeeehahaha! Did the boot heel of passion just kick down the back door to your brain!?

The total opposite of a downer... I guess it would have to be...

> Genki

: It's genki, right?

: Ding ding ding! As a response to that emotional black hole, an energetic supernova was born! She just wants to read her stuffy classics all day but give me a good erotic thriller and I'm set!
: Anyway, we're not all that special. Anyone could have that kind of weird reaction, ya know? I mean hell, the human mind itself is basically its own split personality!
: Wait, no, that's--
: No, it's true! Why else would headlines be filled with stories of murder, theft, fraud, all that crap! To turn away from that truth is to turn the aggressor into the victim!

: So why do it!? Embrace it, and indulge your consciousness the way you've always wanted to! I'm not as twisted as you might think! You and me both gaze at the same horizon, don't we?

This whole thing is a mess... It doesn't make any kind of sense at all. But it's my own fault for thinking I could ever understand...whatever this is.

: You seem to be totally lacking genki, so let me give some words of wisdom to lift your spirits!

: Even a monkey can fall out of a tree, hit his head, slip into a coma, and die!
: Kyeeehahaha!

: The third and final event takes place in the Art Room.

> Yes, definitely

Kokeshi Dynamo: Flip the switch on the bottom to set the doll shaking. Apparently it's a kid's toy, but I don't really get the point of it...

: It's, uh...not a kid's toy... Give this present to anyone else and they will hate you for it. Give it to Jill...well...

: Oh my! It's so wonderful...! Can I lick it!?
: When you get something this nice, don't you just love to lick it!? Or is that just me...?

Seeing Genocide Jack so pleased with something I gave her makes me happy! ...I guess.

: Gross.

: Macoco Chanel! This is the last time you'll get a chance to part with yours truly! So if there's anything you've been waiting to blow me away with, better pull the trigger right now!
: That's a very kind offer, but...nothing comes to mind.

: Really? Nothin' at all? Then just sit back and enjoy!
: I'm gonna confess my feelings to you! My feelings for Master!
: Do I really have to be here for this...?

: To be honest, this is the first time I've ever had feelings for someone, but not wanted to kill them...
: Up until now, whenever I fell for a boy, that boy fell for my scissors!
: My first love? Chased him all the way to Shikoku to kill him! But Master's something special. It's not about killing or not killing. It's not that physical connection... My feelings are totally pure this time! Yeah! It's pure love!

I'm not sure I'm convinced...

: Ungyahah! My chest is all tight and tingly! I've seriously never felt this way before! I wouldn't even mind not killing any other boys, if it meant I could be with him!
: Wait...really?
: Of course! It would be unbelievably rude to cheat on Master like that!
: I-In that case, you have my full support!
: Huh? Seriously!? Are you gonna become our Cupid!?
: If it means you'll stop freaking killing people, I'll do whatever it takes!
: My little Macarena... I seriously misjudged you! You're actually a really good guy.
: But if we're gonna work together on this, we gotta wait till things here calm down... So until then, don't--

: Kill anyone! Yeah, yeah, I know!
: But in exchange, I'll be counting on you when we get out of here! Let's do this! HOO-AH!
: Sounds good...

It kinda sucks for Byakuya, but I'm glad I was able to understand Genocide Jack a little better. Not that I could ever call her a friend, of course...

I mean, she's a literal serial killer.

: This final event gives us one last SP+1.

: It also finally gives us the star on Toko's Report card, as well as unlocks a bronze Playstation trophy titled "Strangers in a Brain". Completing everyone's Report Card gives you a gold Playstation trophy titled "Mr. Know-It-All".

Genocide Jill's Character Art

----------------

: With that, everyone's Free Time Events have been finished. All I have left is an Extra Content update to show next time. The LP's almost finished now!

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
Now that the LP is winding down, I gotta question. Is DR2 worth buying on Steam?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It definitely is and I encourage people to play it themselves, but if you're averse to spending money right now, you may want to hold off on your purchase...

:ssh:

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

FPzero posted:

It definitely is and I encourage people to play it themselves, but if you're averse to spending money right now, you may want to hold off on your purchase...

:ssh:

Yay!

You're translating Dangan Ronpa Zero!

So does this mean that you were able to deal with the life stuff that made you say that you wouldn't be doing DR2? If so, then I'm glad you were able to deal with whatever it was.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

FPzero posted:

: ...So...why do you...?
: Yes?
: Why do you...kill people? You should really stop.

This is the best exchange in the entire game. It was a good effort, Makoto.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Christmas is coming early this year

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Oh, that'll be a lot of fun.

You really have to wonder how Genocide Jack kept concealed for so long. Yeah, before she was revealed she was acting less crazy but it seems like she'd get bored of that really, really quickly.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Genocide Jack shows up when Toko sneezes or sees blood, if I understand it correctly. So long as she's careful about both of those things Jack is unlikely to actually appear.

On the note of never being caught it's entirely possible that this combined with the fact that unless you actually knew the secret Toko really doesn't look like a serial killer and Jack definitely acts quite differently means nobody is going to suspect the world famous teenage writer has a split-personality that's a serial killer who targets cute boys.

Even if the school knew they willingly invited the ultimate soldier and the ultimate biker gang leader, so it's not like they actually care about criminals/unsavoury people enrolling. They just care that you are the best at that thing, and Genocide Jack is the best High School age serial killer.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

BlazeEmblem posted:

So does this mean that you were able to deal with the life stuff that made you say that you wouldn't be doing DR2? If so, then I'm glad you were able to deal with whatever it was.

Thanks. It has been for the most part. I've currently got a good balance of my schoolwork and my free time. Funny enough, writing the updates for this LP has been a great way for me to catch up on old podcasts, video series and LPs I missed and more. It's a good, familiar way to spend a late night once everything is done and I have time available. Finishing this LP means no more updates to write, meaning no more of that time for me to spend doing those things. In that sense, it's only natural that I'd continue an SSLP of some kind. Why not do one I wanted to do from the start of this LP?

That said, updates will definitely be dependent on how much I'm able to get done any given week. If I'm very busy with schoolwork, they'll slow down, like any normal LP to be honest (this LP's update schedule got pretty unrealistic during the summer but that was just because I decided to devote all my free time before moving to working on it). There's also the consideration of my schedules changing every semester but that's a ways off right now. If I need to, I'm sure I'll talk more about it when the time comes.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Ultimate Extra Content

: As I've worked on the LP, I've collected a variety of things related to the game that wouldn't necessarily fit into the Main LP proper. As such, in this update I'd like to go over a variety of things like art, early content, and unused material. Without further ado, let's begin.

----------------
Extra Character Art

: This is the Character Art for the characters who don't have Free Times of their own for me to tack them on to.

Makoto Naegi's Character Art

Monokuma's Character Art

Junko Enoshima's real Character Art

Mukuro Ikusaba's Character Art

Shikiba Santa's Character Art

: If you have no clue who this guy is, he was the Ultimate Botanist mentioned by Monokuma back in Chapter 5. Apparently, he is dead. I don't know why he has a portrait when he never shows up in the game but...here he is!

----------------
Makoto's Wrong Answer Portrait

: Makoto has a portrait that I never showed off in the main game. It only appears when you answer a question incorrectly and never any other time. Play the game perfectly and you'll never see it.

----------------
Byakuya Without Glasses

: Byakuya has four portraits without glasses and I have no clue where they show up. At first I guessed they were part of the School Mode but given that they show up in the PSP version's files, which did not include School Mode, I realized that had to be wrong. I still have no clue where they show up but here they are! :shrug:

----------------
The PSP Demo

: There was a demo for this game on the PSP. It allowed you to play a modified version of Chapter 1 and its Trial. However, there was one big difference...

: You're seeing that right. In the demo, Yasuhiro Hagakure was the first victim. You see, to keep the final game unspoiled, Spike Chunsoft created a semi-unique murder and Trial for the demo. Among other things, this means Sayaka and Mukuro (as Junko) are both alive during Trial 1. There's also a death stand for Hiro that obviously goes unused in the final game.

: There are a number of unique voice lines to account for both of them being alive. The trial also follows an altered progression since there are only 5 Truth Bullets. The concepts of White Noise and multiple bullets in the Truth Cylinder are introduced in the second Argument, Leon initiates Bullet Time Battle against Makoto for stuttering too much when being accused, instead of Makoto accusing Leon of murder like in the final game, and before the trial can ramp up towards figuring out who the actual murderer is, the demo ends.
: It's also obvious that the demo is using a few non-final assets, as a couple of Makoto's portraits differ from the ones used in the final game.
: More than anything else, I find it pretty funny that the guy who died first in the demo is one of the only survivors of the final game. I'm half-tempted to believe his continued survival despite being framed multiple times was a big joke on the part of the developers as they attempted to subvert the expectations of people who played the demo as they played the full game. I wouldn't put it past these developers.

----------------
Die Kazuo Matsuzaki Die

: Back at the end of Trial 1, I found a video of Spike Chunsoft's original video presentation for this game, back when they were trying to get it greenlit. At the time I assumed it was beta material but I was corrected. Here's my post on the topic, followed by orenronen's response.

FPzero posted:

I stumbled across this video the other day showing what appears to be Leon's beta execution. It's fundamentally the same but the character designs for everyone are VERY different. It has a much more "Persona" art style too. They all appear to have different names, like Leon is named Kazuo Matsuzaki. If nothing else, it's interesting to take a look at and try and guess who's who. Funny enough, I think Sayaka's character is shown in the scene where it zooms on all the reactions but I didn't notice a Kyoko, just someone who looks way more like Junko.

Die Kazuo Matsuzaki Die

Comparing the two executions, look at the ending silhouettes:

(beta)
(final)

You can see another silhouette down in the lower right of the beta video, making 13 students standing there at the end. Does this mean originally 3 people weren't going to die in Chapter 1? I have no idea. Neat video though.

orenronen posted:

This video is much too early to be called a "beta" - it was part of a video presentation writer Kodaka and artist Komatsuzaki prepared to get the project greenlit by Spike management. As such, it was one of the very first things done for the game, back when they haven't yet settled on an atmosphere and style, and they ended up just reusing it verbatim for the final game to save costs.

----------------
Toko's Group Photo

: In Danganronpa: The Animation, Toko actually receives a Group Photo during Chapter 6's investigation. Because the animation had to compress so many details to save time, Monokuma actually visits each student individually during the investigation to hand them their photos. In the game, we can assume Toko might have been passed out in the Bio Lab when Monokuma made his announcement to come to the gym for a hint, which explains why she didn't have one. Here's the photo she received:

: And yes, Junko's face is hidden.

----------------
Discussion -Mix- (Edge Version)

: There's an audio track used during the Class Trials that I never linked to.

: This track probably plays during some of the Arguments in the game but...it sounds identical to the track "Argument [Break]" for the first minute and a half before transitioning into a slightly different version of "Argument [Turn Up The Heat]", then moving on to its own thing. Since my Argument sections rarely last longer than a minute, I don't think I ever left them running long enough to say for certain if and when this track shows up. So here it is as an extra.

----------------
Chapter End Presents

: If you'll remember, we received a present after each Chapter ended that had to do with the events of the Chapter. Here's all the presents and their descriptions.

----------------
Gallery Images

: There's a lot of art in the unlockable Art Gallery. It includes various images from the game's marketing, early concept art and more. Here's a selection of the images you can find there, presented a little bigger than usual for clarity's sake.

: There's a bunch of mostly finalized character design documents here. It's neat seeing the artwork and if I could read the Japanese written on them I'm sure there'd be some interesting little tidbits about each character's design.

: This one's called "Promo Art" and I stitched it together to get a nice big view of it. I assume it's the sort of artwork that would've been used in magazine ads, posters, etc.

: The little pixel art characters used on each dorm room.

: There's a series of special drawings for each of the executions. This one's Leon's.

: Pancake time!

: I wouldn't trust these firefighters.

: Poor Alter Ego.

: The Alter Lump leftover at the end.

: Since both Kyoko and Makoto use the same execution, it makes sense that the assets match up.

: She's just so into it.

: I think these were both older concept images back when Spike Chunsoft was still figuring out how the game would play out but after the project was greenlit. I forget where I heard it, but I heard the reason Sayaka and Leon died first in the final game was because they were used in all the preview materials over and over and the devs were tired of them.

: Closeup of Mondo Butter.

: Hifumi's favorite princess.

: Sakura had a number of early concepts. This was one of them. Can't say I'm a real fan of the hair design but I will give the devs props for having a black character in mind.

: I just found this gangsta Monokuma to be funny. No clue who or what Nob-Yo is.

: This is a really creepy early design for Monokuma. VERY happy they didn't go with this one.

: I love this.

: These both are listed as Cover Art. Maybe they were used as boxart?
: There's a number of other images in the gallery, including a fair number of Sayaka/Kyoko pieces, but these are the ones I found most interesting.

----------------
Young Sakura

: Did you know that Sakura wasn't always gigantic and musclebound?

: This official art comes from what I believe was an artbook for the game and shows what Sakura looked like before she became the Ultimate Martial Artist. It can actually be seen as part of another image in the game's Image Gallery but this is a better close-up.

----------------
The 78th Class Photo

: This piece of art is found in the Gallery as well but I decided to list it separately.

: Notably, Junko's face is not hidden, Celeste's drills aren't on, and Toko's not wearing her glasses. Unsurprisingly, Byakuya is still grumpy. I like this image because you can see that the friendships that developed over the course of the game are the same ones that existed before The Tragedy occurred and everyone's memories were wiped.

----------------
Yasuhiro's Predictions

: During the main game, Hiro makes two big predictions using his powers of clairvoyance and they both turn out to be true hours later.

1. Sharing the same mother

: During Hiro's first Free Time Event, he says the following:

quote:

: Okay, fine! I'll give you a special trial run! After all, I've already seen what the future has in store for you!
: What!? When did you see it!?
: Heh heh heh. You won't believe what I saw... It would appear that the mother of your children, and the mother of *my* children, are the same woman!
: I refuse! Denied! Don't like it!
: Doesn't matter if you don't like it! That's just the way it is.
: Well, if you get the bad ending in Chapter 5, this scene occurs:

[

: And presto, Hiro's prediction came true. Hina turned out to be the mother of both Makoto and Hiro's children. (And Byakuya's too)
: What a weird game.

2. No more murders - Chapter 4

: At the start of Chapter 4, Hiro says this:

quote:

: Like when we're gonna get outta here, right? When this is all over...I think I wanna get reborn for serious. Er--I mean, reborn AS someone serious...
: Hey, are you okay? That sounds like something someone who's about to die would say...
: I'm totally okay! I'm not gonna die! Why? Cuz there aren't gonna be any more murders!
: Huh? What makes you so sure...?
: I predicted it last night! Since it revealed itself to me from the ether, there's no doubt about it!
: Well, if you think about who dies after Chapter 4 starts, you have Sakura, Alter Ego, Mukuro, and Junko. Except...

-Sakura's death was a suicide.
-Alter Ego was a computer program, but even then was executed, not murdered.
-Mukuro actually died back in Chapter 1
-Junko executes herself

: Ergo, no one who dies after the start of Chapter 4 was murdered. Hiro's prediction comes true again.

----------------
The Ultimate Bug?

: See something wrong with this picture?

: For whatever reason, during the Epilogue (and I presume Trial 6 after he becomes the Ultimate Hope, but I'm not replaying to check), Makoto's Ultimate ability on his Report Card is not "Ultimate Hope" like it should be. Instead, it's "Ultimate Despair." I don't know if this is a bug or a mistranslation, or if it affects the Japanese versions of the game too, but apparently it has lead to a number of :tinfoil: theories... Spooky...

----------------
Exit Button Cutscene

: I was trying to get this present over the course of the LP without realizing you need to beat the game first before you have the chance of receiving it. Once you've beaten the game, you can occasionally get the Escape Button from the MonoMono Machine. Collecting this present unlocks a super secret bonus ending only accessible through the Movie Gallery. I think it also plays at the end of School Mode if you build all of Monokuma's backups and do everyone's Free Times.

:siren: Click here for the secret (non-canon) ending? :siren:

: If only this were the real ending...

----------------
Boring Statistics

: Because I'm a nerd and I like numbers, I had some stats about this LP to share:

167 Text Updates
~2,867,000 Characters Typed/Pasted
192 Videos Captured
292 Gigabytes of Video Footage
53 Hours of Video Footage
78 Videos Uploaded to Youtube
13,018 Screenshots Taken, about 50% of them used in final updates
413 64x64 px Talking Head Portraits
96 Different Music Tracks and Audio Clips uploaded to Tindeck/Clyp
315 Gigabytes total for the whole LP

: This was one hell of an LP endeavor, but I enjoyed it. I'll also enjoy freeing up those 292 GB now that it's over.

----------------
Selected Fanart

: Lastly, in searching for the sprites and resources to make this LP I found plenty of fanart. I saved a bunch to show off here at the end of the LP, so here's a small selection of fanart.

(Artist Link)
: I like the idea that the whole Killing Game is just a stage play and all the characters are just acting out their parts. I know there was an actual Danganronpa stage play in Japan, but I like this take on it too. I don't know what the text at the top reads, but if anyone can translate I'll add it here before the LP goes to the archive.

(Artist Link)
: When you've cordoned off yourself in the control room for days on end, yeah, your room might get a little bit messy. I liked this take on how Junko spends her time in the Data Center. See how many little details you can find!

(Artist Link)
: Just another image of almost the whole cast. The only characters missing are Junko and Leon, since you can guess that Chihiro is the one holding Mondo in the window.

(Artist's Profile)
: I linked this one in a non-update post in Chapter 3 after the bathhouse scene occurred. I just thought it was funny someone made an image of the guys taking a bath to counter the one of the girls ingame. Even funnier to me is Byakuya slipping on the soap and flying off into space in the background.

: Sometimes, this is what you wish Makoto would've said.

(Artist's Profile)
: There's a lot of fanart of Mondo, Taka and Chihiro, since the three of them kinda made up a trio of friends ingame.

(Artist Link)
: I just really liked the art style of this one. Even though it's black and white, you can tell the focus all thanks to the shading emphasis.

(Artist Link)
: I'd like to think that if they made it out of the school alive, this is totally something Mondo would have coerced Taka into doing with him. Hell, he made the same offer to Makoto in Free Times.

: I don't know why this one makes me laugh but it does. I liked it enough to grab Mondo's face here for the avatar on my Youtube account.

(Artist Link)
: Why, yes, Mondo, Taka and Chihiro ARE my favorite characters in the game, why do you ask? What tipped you off? :v:

----------------

: There are surely many other things I could show off here like more minor details, supplemental artbook material, or cut content, but I think this is the more important stuff. Hopefully you found some of this interesting.
: Please stay tuned. I have one more special update to make before it's all over.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 15, 2016

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

FPzero posted:

: Lastly, in searching for the sprites and resources to make this LP I found plenty of fanart. I saved a bunch to show off here at the end of the LP, so here's a small selection of fanart. I wish I had artist names to associate with them but I don't.

Thanks to the power of an image searcher, I found the pixiv pages for a couple of them.

First art page.

Second one's art page.

Third's art.

Fourth artists's page, they deleted this one.

Sixth artists' page, another deleted one.

Number seven's art page.

The eigth art page.

Tenth's art page despite it being labeled fanart 9.

Looking forward to being left in despair with the second game.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
That fanart is cool and good. Especially Byakuya in the bathhouse scene.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:doh: I completely forgot about reverse image searching! Thanks so much for the links, I'm going to go edit them in.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Fun fact about the demo, the lint roller had traces of cheeto dust or something on it, so I think the implication was that Hifumi offed Hagakure. :v:

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

ChaosArgate posted:

Fun fact about the demo, the lint roller had traces of cheeto dust or something on it, so I think the implication was that Hifumi offed Hagakure. :v:

Who wouldn't?

Congrats on finishing this great LP! Thanks for putting the effort in to do this.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

RIP most of these guys. The idea that you could be coerced into killing your friends by (in part) removing your memories of each other was the most tragic part of the Danganronpa story.

Cool to see these supplementals, and glad to hear you're doing the sequel! I really enjoyed playing it blind (once I was past the first 2 chapters which I'd read in oren's LP). I recommend it!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I have a thought about that Report Card thing. In universe they're written partially by Junko right, so perhaps his hope gave her the Ultimate Despair of failure and death so she gave him that title instead of the actual one he received.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

FPzero posted:

Thanks. It has been for the most part. I've currently got a good balance of my schoolwork and my free time. Funny enough, writing the updates for this LP has been a great way for me to catch up on old podcasts, video series and LPs I missed and more. It's a good, familiar way to spend a late night once everything is done and I have time available. Finishing this LP means no more updates to write, meaning no more of that time for me to spend doing those things. In that sense, it's only natural that I'd continue an SSLP of some kind. Why not do one I wanted to do from the start of this LP?

That said, updates will definitely be dependent on how much I'm able to get done any given week. If I'm very busy with schoolwork, they'll slow down, like any normal LP to be honest (this LP's update schedule got pretty unrealistic during the summer but that was just because I decided to devote all my free time before moving to working on it). There's also the consideration of my schedules changing every semester but that's a ways off right now. If I need to, I'm sure I'll talk more about it when the time comes.

Awesome news. From what I saw of DR2 from the other LP, I'm not sure it's a game I'd want to own, but I do like mysteries, and the other LP left us hanging with one a lot more puzzling than usual.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
Some thoughts on the bonus material:
-I noticed this before, but Makoto's hood has its own zipper for some reason.
-You have two Despair Bats. Nice.
-I suppose I never noticed because in the LP format we really only ever see characters from the waist up, but in the concept artwork everyone appears to have a moderate-to-severe case of shoujo legs. Except Hifumi.
-In the class photo, Celeste still cannot possibly wear anything other than black.
-The stage play fanart looks like it's happening in Celeste's bullet time battle, seeing as Leon and Mukuro are setting up the execution. Notably, almost everyone dead up to that point has appropriate "wounds" -- Leon is scuffed from the baseballs, Mondo is spotless due to... being turned into butter??, and everyone else has appropriate blood... except Chihiro, who should have a head wound.

I'll be picking up DR2, actually. I want it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

FPzero posted:

: I just found this gangsta Monokuma to be funny. No clue who or what Nob-Yo is.

Surely Nobuyo Oyama?

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

I notice that in a bunch of the images, Sayaka and Leon tend to be placed close together, especially in the group photo (without Makoto) and the promo art where he kind of has his arm around her. I don't think there's any dialogue that suggests it, but I kind of thought they might have been a couple before all this stuff went down. Sure would add another layer of tragedy to the first murder.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click me. :siren:

: Kehehe... Interesting... Things are getting veeery interesting indeed. Puhuhu... Puuhuhuhuhuhu!

: Like I said at the beginning...I'm not a teddy bear. I am Monokuma...

: And I am your--I am this school's...

: ...headmaster!

----------------

: And that's the end of the LP, for real this time. Thank you so much for making it to the end! I very much enjoyed making it and I hope you enjoyed reading it. This is a series that I love quite a bit through its ups and downs and general weirdness, and I was happy to show it off to everyone.

: To be continued in...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Fine work, FP :golfclap:

Now for the sequel: Dangitronpaul 2: Dangitrandpaul

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

That's a pretty good sequel hook right there that raises a ton of questions and possibilities.
Did Junko survive? Is Monokuma secretly his own person and was just faking being a remote controlled robot? Did someone else steal the control room for reasons unknown?

I look forward to the sequel having absolutely nothing to do with these questions given how these things tend to work.
Are you going to do it in a new thread or just keep chugging along in this one?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'll be posting it in a new thread. As for when that will be, I'm going to take a bit of time to get a small backlog before I post. At the very least, I want to finish writing the Prologue first.

I hope everyone enjoyed the LP. I'll be sending it over to Baldurk to be archived once I do a final pass to get it ready.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

FoolyCharged posted:

That's a pretty good sequel hook right there that raises a ton of questions and possibilities.
Did Junko survive? Is Monokuma secretly his own person and was just faking being a remote controlled robot? Did someone else steal the control room for reasons unknown?

Or perhaps it's Kiyoko's dad and the bones in the box were some other schmuck's and he succeeded in his scheme to defeat the Ultimate Despair.

Or maybe it was one of the chickens.

Maybe Robo Justice is a chicken and the headmaster.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Or perhaps it's Kiyoko's dad and the bones in the box were some other schmuck's and he succeeded in his scheme to defeat the Ultimate Despair.

Or maybe it was one of the chickens.

Maybe Robo Justice is a chicken and the headmaster.

Monokuma was the chicken that crossed the road.

Why?

To cause the Most Despair Inducing Event in The History of Earth.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Looks like another perfect, tropical day in Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair

It's sequel time, everyone.

The archive request for this LP was sent a couple weeks ago so hopefully it'll be hitting the archive sometime soon. It was real fun doing this LP but now it's time to move on to bigger and better things in the sequel. It's gonna be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Welcome to the LP Archive.

With that, I think it's time to close this thread. Let's keep the ride going over in the DR2 thread!

• Locked thread